IGNORED

Old School GBA with a WTH in Megaman Battle Network 4: Red Sun

JVOSS

I have been working on Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun for the first time and with out the use of a walk through.

I was making good progress until i hit Cursed Doll.  after completing this part i noticed that during battle i now have a consistent reduced life point.

This makes the game unplayable as I'm unable to move around with only 1(one) hp.  Is there something i can get to fix this problem?

Did i do something wrong or do i just give up and start over.

Edited by JVOSS

• 3 months later...

Ruh roh sounds like you used a dark chip or several of them. 

At this time, after a certain bit in the story, you'll be able to use Dark Chips. They're very powerful, but when you use them, you'll permanently lose 1 HP.”

https://www.ign.com/faqs/2004/mega-man-battle-network-4-double-pack-walkthrough-528478

4 hours ago, Makar said:

Ruh roh sounds like you used a dark chip or several of them. 

At this time, after a certain bit in the story, you'll be able to use Dark Chips. They're very powerful, but when you use them, you'll permanently lose 1 HP.”

https://www.ign.com/faqs/2004/mega-man-battle-network-4-double-pack-walkthrough-528478

Thought so i restarted and finished that way. it was crazy as i did not get the same game-play it was all random. 

Edited by JVOSS

18 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Thought so i restarted and finished that way. it was crazy as i did not get the same game-play it was all random. 

Well as long as you don’t use any more dark chips you won’t lose more health permanently. I avoided dark chips at all costs in this game. 

2 hours ago, Makar said:

Well as long as you don’t use any more dark chips you won’t lose more health permanently. I avoided dark chips at all costs in this game. 

that was the hardest thing on this one as i had no clue as to what was dark and what wasn't.  had a few moments where i wanted to.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, JVOSS said:

I have been working on Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun for the first time and with out the use of a walk through.

I was making good progress until i hit Cursed Doll.  after completing this part i noticed that during battle i now have a consistent reduced life point.

This makes the game unplayable as I'm unable to move around with only 1(one) hp.  Is there something i can get to fix this problem?

Did i do something wrong or do i just give up and start over.

No, it's supposed to be like that for the ThunderMan scenario. And what do you mean you "can't move around"?  Just use a map of where the four marks as well as the Cursed Doll itself.  You can get around the HP drain by things like jacking out and going back in, using FullEnrg or simply using Recovery chips during battle.

And BTW this is NOT the kind of game you "jump into without a walkthrough".  The way the fourth game is uniquely set up you MUST have a checklist of all the BMDs/PMDs (that's Blue and Purple Mystery Datas) and be very sure to find and check off all of them (as well as all the HP Memories and RegUp's) as you find them and make very sure you collected all of them and got all the V1 chips/PA's before defeating the "final" boss and moving on to Level 2.  Obviously be sure to also get all the V2 chips/PAs before going on to Level 3.  And DON'T fight the "ghost Navis" at their dead ends until the very end of at least Level 3.  You can if you want also go on to an optional Level 4 and Level 5 which if you were very diligent about getting all the BMDs/PMDs in each Level, all the BMDs/PMDs will be zenny or bugfrags so you won't have to do nearly as much needless grinding for them.  Trust me, this makes sense as you play the game.

Oh yeah and be very sure you enter all the NumberMan codes (they can be easily found at GameFAQs and such in Higsby's shop as soon as it opens in Battle Network 3 and onward.  It'll give you a major MAJOR boost.  And one more thing, be sure to have Unlockers handy for the PMDs.  Again, this makes sense as you play.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:06 AM, JVOSS said:

Yeah you must do three playthroughs/Levels to get all the scenarios/Souls.

Just now, Estil said:

Yeah you must do three playthroughs/Levels to get all the scenarios/Souls.

3 times?  oh my i was just looking to beat the game. is all 3 required to beat the game overall or an option?

the FAQ did not make that part clear.

3 hours ago, JVOSS said:

that was the hardest thing on this one as i had no clue as to what was dark and what wasn't.  had a few moments where i wanted to.

That is among the most useless game mechanics EVER.  Just using one Dark Chip totally ruins your game in the sense that one of the objects is to get the max 1000 HP and of course that's no longer possible if you use a Dark Chip and it's sooooo aggravating how when the Dark Chips (the ones with the purple pictures) appear the cursor defaults to them so you must be careful not to accidentally goof and select them!  And honestly the Dark Chips aren't really hardly any better than regular chips/PAs besides.

At least with BN5 you're not FORCED to have them come up on the Chip Select screen.

I was REALLY into BN in the 2000s decade.  It was the closest I ever came to playing an RPG, which remember I stupidly put off until 2013 because I wasn't so sure about the idea of just sitting there punching commands (turn based battles).

5 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

3 times?  oh my i was just looking to beat the game. is all 3 required to beat the game overall or an option?

the FAQ did not make that part clear.

To truly "beat" the game means you "Gotta Catch 'Em All".  No really it's the MegaMan version of Pokemon in the sense that the real object of the game is to complete your Pokedex eh, I mean chip library as well as get all the title screen badges.  And in BN4's case you can only fight V2 viruses for the the V2 chips/badges in Level 2 and then the V3 viruses/chips for Level 3 onward.  Again, it makes sense as you play. 

At least with BN5 you can later switch back and forth between having V1/V2/V3 viruses on the 'net so you can go back and get the V1/V2 chips/PAs you didn't get earlier.  Personally I think BN5 and BN2 were the best in the series though of course that's a matter of debate.  I still haven't gotten around to finishing BN6 though...

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:30 AM, Estil said:

No, it's supposed to be like that for the ThunderMan scenario. And what do you mean you "can't move around"?  Just use a map of where the four marks as well as the Cursed Doll itself.  You can get around the HP drain by things like jacking out and going back in, using FullEnrg or simply using Recovery chips during battle.

And BTW this is NOT the kind of game you "jump into without a walkthrough".  The way the fourth game is uniquely set up you MUST have a checklist of all the BMDs/PMDs (that's Blue and Purple Mystery Datas) and be very sure to find and check off all of them (as well as all the HP Memories and RegUp's) as you find them and make very sure you collected all of them and got all the V1 chips/PA's before defeating the "final" boss and moving on to Level 2.  Obviously be sure to also get all the V2 chips/PAs before going on to Level 3.  And DON'T fight the "ghost Navis" at their dead ends until the very end of at least Level 3.  You can if you want also go on to an optional Level 4 and Level 5 which if you were very diligent about getting all the BMDs/PMDs in each Level, all the BMDs/PMDs will be zenny or bugfrags so you won't have to do nearly as much needless grinding for them.  Trust me, this makes sense as you play the game.

Oh yeah and be very sure you enter all the NumberMan codes (they can be easily found at GameFAQs and such in Higsby's shop as soon as it opens in Battle Network 3 and onward.  It'll give you a major MAJOR boost.  And one more thing, be sure to have Unlockers handy for the PMDs.  Again, this makes sense as you play.

huh-confused.gif.cdbb43d4b170cf5a78898723a1359f7c.gif

• Haha 1