IGNORED

Shigeru Miyamoto awarded status of "Person of Cultural Merit" in Japan

Teh_Lurv

Super Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has been honored with a Japanese cultural award, for his career in video games. The Person of Cultural Merit is awarded annually to people who have made outstanding cultural contributions.Candidates are selected by the Japanese minister of education, culture, sports, science and technology, before being approved by the cabinet. Miyamoto was recognized for helping to develop the Japanese games industry into a global cultural force with creations like The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong.

"I am grateful for the light of the genre of games," Miyamoto told Japanese publication Sankei (via Google translate). "I will never forget to thank my colleagues... I can't do anything alone."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-29-shigeru-miyamoto-recognised-with-japanese-cultural-award

From what I have read elsewhere, this is the first time a game developer has been awarded this status by the Japanese government.

• Like 2

Congrats to him!  A while ago (10 years or so) I heard that he was very well known by us in the US and a bit of a rock start, however, in Japan, they supposedly didn't idolize workers for companies and, supposedly, he could walk down the street and go completely unnoticed.

I have no clue if that was ever true but if so, I wonder if it's changed in the past 10 years or if this might affect people recognizing him (literally) in his home country.