IGNORED

Found this Dell thing and don’t know what to do with it.

Richardhead

I was going to post simply that it was a server, but it seems that @Gloves actually tracked down what it was specifically.  I'm not sure what the differences are between US and Japanese hardware, but my brother runs an R710 as our private games server and it does the job fantastically, even though it's older and the games we're playing on it are fairly new (7 Days to Die, Ark: Survival Evolved, Conan Exiles).  The specs aren't particularly impressive if you're going to want to try to use it as a personal PC, but if you have use for a server, it's a good unit for personal use (private games, private video/audio streaming, etc.).

• Like 1

Find the service tag sticker and look it up here (remove front bezel, should be on a piece of plastic that pulls out): https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us

It give you the original specs. People may have added/subtracted drives and or memory, but you can pop the top off and take a look. Dealt with a many number of Dell and HP servers in my day! Not to mention SANs and other fun data center equipment. Make sure you power it up and enter the RAID config before installing OS, watch the boot up for the key config to enter (F8?)

Edit: also you may be thinking what fun it would be to power it up and run stuff off it, beware on how that impacts your electric bill should you let it run 24/7

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Yeah it's an old R710. Power consumption can vary depending on the setup, though do note you also get a mini jet engine for your room! (they're quite loud).  Assuming it still has the stuff in it. Just note the RAM is ECC and you can't swap it with a regular desktop.

Edited by nesmaster14