IGNORED

Disney Games that are worth playing

phart010

Here's my thoughts on some of the Disney NES games:

Rescue Rangers - Amazing game, had it as a kid so it's definitely nostalgia-fueled, but I love it

Duck Tales - Did not have it as a child, yet always wanted it. This was one of the first games we grabbed from Funcoland when I was a teenager. Great game as well. I think the controls can be a bit stiff at times, but its great.

TaleSpin - Again an excellent game. I had it as a child, so some of my enjoyment may come due to nostalgia, but please hear me out with this one. The music is excellent, the game is colorful and takes one through a wide variety of fun, cartoony settings, such as one would expect from a TaleSpin game. Some people shit on the game due to comparing it to other shooters, I personally think that's the wrong way to approach this game. I am not a big fan of shooters at all, and suck at them. My brother feels similarly on the issue. We both really enjoyed this game, though I usually turn something like Gradius off after about ten or twenty minutes. Perhaps TaleSpin is a game that should be taken for what it is, rather than comparing it to others in the genre?

Rescue Rangers 2 - My brother and I don't feel nearly as enthusiastic about this title; however, I honestly believe that this is 80% due to the nostalgia from the first game. As the music and stages aren't as memorable to us, we don't enjoy it as much. Last time my brother was in Taiwan, we played this one through, and tried to look objectively at everything, and we found it to be a great game too, when viewed objectively. There's a better story, the major enemies of the show appear as the bosses, etc.

Duck Tales 2 - I think this falls into the same situation as Rescue Rangers 2, for me, aside from the fact that I really don't see many redeeming qualities. It's definitely not a bad game, but it wasn't memorable for me, and only became memorable due to its rarity.  Looking at it objectively though, probably a fun game worth playing.

Darkwing Duck - No nostalgia for this one and little nostalgia for the cartoon, but this is a great game. I'd consider this a lost entry in the 8-bit Mega Man series, and bootleggers in Taiwan agreed, as they hacked the game and released it under the title "Rockman 5" with Mega Man replacing Darkwing Duck.

Little Mermaid - Similar to Darkwing Duck, I have no nostalgia for this one. People say that it is easy, I remember having trouble at a few spots here and there, when I had played through it. It's short, but overall it is a fun game and worth playing.

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom - Fun Fact: This game was never officially released on the Famicom, along with Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin (all were released as bootlegs though). I have a weird history with this game. My brother and I had seen it for rental at the local grocery store back in the day, and we managed to convince our parents to rent it once or twice back in the day. This was a big deal, not necessarily due to the monetary situation, but due to the fact that our mother had read somewhere about dirty games damaging the machines, and therefore renting games was basically viewed by the 'rents as something similar to having random condomless sex with a stranger, who might have an std. Anyways getting back on games, we enjoyed the game enough that for one of the holidays, most likely (I don't remember though my brother would), we got our own copy of the game.

After getting the game though, it would later fall out of favour with us. I'm honestly not sure why, but it eventually just got shoved to the back of the drawer, and the stigma surrounding it would continue up until a year or two ago. I think it was back in 2018 or 2019 when I ended up getting a bootleg copy of the game for the Famicom, and I found the game to be amazing! Sure, some of my enjoyment probably came from the nostalgia, but overall it was a fun experience.

There is a variety of different gameplay styles in the game, including a racecar stage, a few platforming stages, and a stage where you need to hit the correct button when prompted. It's not a particularly long or difficult game for an adult, but it's definitely something that I'll play multiple times a year, a game created back during the heyday of Capcom Disney greatness.

Jungle Book - Never gave this a fair shake, simply couldn't get into it after thirty seconds of shitty controls. Convince me to go back to it and I will.

Mickey MouseCapades - This will be the last game I discuss. Like Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, my brother and I had gotten this as a child, of our own choosing, again probably for a holiday or a birthday. Initially it started out in high regards, though it quickly dropped out of favour, again whilst we were kids. It's important to note though that I did complete this game as a child, as well as Magic Kingdom, so I definitely put a lot of time into both of these games.

Last week I ironically enough decided to go back to this game, and I actually had planned on making a thread about it on VGS though I never did. Here's my thoughts:

Compared to the true Capcom Disney games, this one isn't nearly as good. The controls area  bit akward, trying to get both Mickey and Minnie to do what you want. Then there's the exploits, such as Minnie not being able to take damage, allowing you to cheese certain bosses and rooms. On a totally different point, stages such as the woods fall into the same fate as other NES games of the time. Going back and playing after 20 years, things game back to me and I was able to solve the maze without much of an issue, as I had a general idea about what I needed to do; however, for someone going into the game today, without prior knowledge, or even for children like myself, back in the day, the section is unnecessarily difficult, and not for the right reasons.

With the above being said, I don't think the game is as bad as everyone (myself included) makes it out to be. Despite the controls and game being a bit akward at times, it still is fun. It feels like many of its contemporaries from the time. If you go back and play many of the early to mid eighties Famicom platformers of the time, they fit in right with this game. They aren't nearly as good as the stars of the show, sure, but they are definitely on-par and worth a few plays.

Similarly, for those that aren't aware, the game was developed in Japan by Hudson. Essentially, this game is a kiddie version of Adventure Island. Seriously, go back and play it again, and you'll see that I'm right. The fun house, pirate ship and castle are not, but let's look at the second stage and the forest stage. These are exactly the same as something from the Adventure Island series. The waves coming up, the enemies running towards you in the forest from the left, the small stones that trip you up in the forest...I never played the Adventure Island games as a child, but revisiting this game after 20 years, when I approached these parts I immediately said, "OMG, this is Adventure Island". 

So yeah, this would be the weakest game of the ones I mentioned, but I still think it is worth playing.

• Like 2