IGNORED

Surprise!

Have you ever bought a game, only to have gotten more with it or something else?

I remember stories on [NAME REDACTED] about members buying a used game and getting a different cart/disc inside. Or an ebay seller adding an extra. 

2 examples I have are both from ebay. I bought the gold punch out from Japan. Took a while to come, but when it did, it came with a thank you note, and a famicom disk game. 

The other was me bidding on a Snes carrying case, with 8 games. I won, and when it came it felt heavy. Opened it and inside was also a super nintendo console. I checked the auction again and no, they never mentioned a console. I used that console to get painted. Its the one in my avatar. 

Anyone got examples? 

• Like 5

A few years ago I purchased online a 10 game SNES lot already priced well below market value, what was special about it was that the lot consisted in late SNES releases, I don't remember exactly what 10 titles it included but in 10 pictures it showed 10 different carts and it was stuff like Captain Commando, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, Super Turrican 2, Castlevania Dracula X (this is the kind of stuff you'd get if you got into SNES late like in '96, at least here in Mexico).

Anyways the seller is unexperienced so I walk him though the process of the online sale and all that, and he mentions that he could only show 10 carts as that was the max number of pictures allowed in the listing but actually he was going to send me a total of 12 carts, I thanked him and tried my best to avoid talking about the games to avoid drawing any attention to them, instead I focused on the shipping which he did the following day to my relief. The lot already looked like one of my best finds so the extra games didn't really matter, so imagine my surprise when I pulled an Aero Fighters from the package!

• Like 5
  • Wow! 5

I'm going to put some #'s around this because I know not everyone collects GBA games...I buy lots pretty often to get games that nobody wants CIB for $5 or so...So about 3 months ago, there was a nice little lot of 14 games for $65 shipped on eBay (I made an offer) - The games I wanted were Mr. Driller 2, Camp Lazlo, Barnyard, The Berenstain Bears, Hugo: The Evil Mirror, and Koala Brothers (all CIB - All pretty bad except Mr. Driller 2). I have 900+ CIB GBA games, so it is pretty rare when I find a lot that has 6 games I need. The other games were mostly garbage (Ex: Beat up Dr. Mario cart only for GB, 3 or four other cart only games...nothing special).  So the next day the lady reaches out and says, "Hey I found a couple more games in the closet when I was packing these up and I'm just going to send them your way."  So I'm thinking, "Nice, a few more carts that I can use in trades..."  A couple weeks later, the package comes with my 14 games, plus 6 MORE CIB games, and they were:

Tringo - ANOTHER game I didn't have ($10)

Bomberman (NES Classics) - ($20)

Hello Kitty Party Pals - ($10)

Tetris Worlds - ($15)

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - An uncommon/rare for the system - ($25)

Klonoa - Uncommon/Desirable - ($70)

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯

Spoiler

She got 5-star feedback.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Not games, but back when I was filling out my Kenner Star Wars collection, I constantly purchased from one seller due to his reasonable prices on individual figures and willingness to combine shipping (which wasn't always common at that time).  After a couple of months of this happening, we got to know each other a bit, and virtually every package I received from that point on had something extra in it as a surprise.  Mostly it was bits of memorabilia (Star Wars pencils, pencil toppers, erasers, buttons, magnets, etc.), but got to the point where it was low-end figures (primarily low value members of Jabba's retinue but I recall at least one beat up Stormtrooper).

Eventually I completed the collection (to the point of scanning eBay for bits and pieces, anyway--I'll still pick up odds and ends at shows if the price is right) and I lost contact with the seller.  Haven't seen him post anything for a good while, although his account has remained active.  Honestly miss the personalized notes and emails shooting the breeze at this point far more than I do any of the extra stuff that got thrown in.

• Like 3

I’ve had a few instances where I purchased a lot of “empty” boxes/cases off of eBay, only to discover upon arrival that they contained manuals, inserts and sometimes even games.

One that’s more borderline was a manual lot that I purchased last year for around $50. It had a dozen or so SNES manuals, and I’d placed my bid based on the values of what was shown that wasn’t junk tier. Somehow, I’d apparently ignored the one manual facing down in the photos (I probably assumed it was missing its cover and wrote it off as junk), which wound up being a $50 manual.

• Like 3

An arcade cab I bought in 2010 was advertised as coming with a 60-in-1 games thing. Obviously I had no interest in that, so I was just gonna give that thing away as soon as possible.

But when I went to pick up the cab he told me to pick up a cardboard box that went with it. I skimmed through it quickly and decided that yeah I definitely would.

When I went through it after getting home I counted up the inventory as 1x supergun, 1x Neo Geo AES arcade stick controller, 1x Sega STV Motherboard + DecAthlete, 1x Taito F3 board + Puzzle Bobble 3 and Arkanoid Returns, 1x Capcom CPS2 board + Puzz Loop 2, plus four additional arcade games.

That box alone was worth more than I'd paid for the cabinet. And nowadays it would be even more.

• Like 3

Years ago I bought a used DS at a flea market.  It came in a case with about 5 crappy games, but it was super cheap so I bought it.  When I got home, I realized that Mario Kart DS was inside the system.  I paid less for the entire thing than Mario Kart DS was worth.  And the DS ended up working after I charged it up.  

• Like 3

Recently I would have said Japan only, as I've loved the little surprises from local green tea bags to some pretty sweet sealed candy thrown in.  But that 'finds' thread here, I had something show up in the last days of last year a GBA SP with games from the 3 GB generations.  I was given a visual list of everything, nice girl too, talked for a while about it all, and in the end she sent me an awesome extra multicart with some really fun games on it too.

• Like 1

I usually find forgotten discs inside consoles from garage sales and thrift shops.  Sometimes a game still inside a NES

I've been pleasantly surprised with a few finds at pawn/thrift store in the past with a better game in a case.  I got a Gameboy Player discs in a Link's Crossbow Training sleeve and a Gamecube hockey game case before.

I've found Smash Bros Melee in shovelware cases more than once.  I found a copy of a SMT title in a case for Ultimate Shooting Collection on Wii.  I found an Astal disc in a Saturn sports game case.  I found a Wind Waker disc inside an Aninal Crossing case.  One time I found a copy of Duke Nukem Time To Kill with 2 copies of the game inside.  I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

If I'm at a thrift store or garage sale I almost always open up every shovelware or sports game case to check the contents.  I always plug in disc consoles if possible to see if I can get it to spit out a disc at thrift stores before purchasing

• Like 3

I had one from ebay back in the early days. Bought a set of Atari 7800 games that unexpectedly came with the console. Seller then contacted me to say she'd found another box of 10 or so games I could have for free. Didn't even have to pay shipping, which was much cheaper 20 years ago, but still...

I've also gotten a couple lots of supposedly empty DS clamshells that came with some games and/or manuals.

And I've bought several consoles at thrifts that unexpectedly came with forgotten games inside.

On the down side, I've occasionally bought games I forgot to check and gotten home to find missing, wrong, or damaged beyond playability games. I've also bought many, many pieces of hardware that ended up not working.

I figure it all evens out.

• Like 1

I just realized I had a couple more, blanked out and these I have evidence of, at least of the ultimate discovery, and in both cases they're Neo Geo MVS bits of luck, one major.

During my quest to grow a library a few years back, there was this one time I bought a game where the total contents were in true questions of what.  The listing mentioned the game, that's it, but one solitary image showed in shadow part of a mini marquee so I was like, cool, maybe?

The second time was just a month ago about and just weird.  I bought a game and mini marquee, yet, what it ultimately got shipped within, inside of other packing, was a sweet surprise too?

Answer is YES in both cases.  Image #1 is 8 Man.  The guy didn't know what he had or just didn't care, leaning towards both.  One day my game came in the mail, it was just this random clean box wrapped in butcher paper with postage and I thought nothing of it.  When I started to peel off the paper, staring back at me was this black and white label with an 8 showing, mentally shit my pants.  I carefully but quickly tore the paper off, popped open the now surprise matching SNK box, and what do I find?  THE ENTIRE KIT.  This kit does not but rarely show up for sale on the market, and getting a fair value, forget it.

Image #2 well,  The game I bought was for a more than fair price, basically a little low on the game, got the mini marquee free.  It comes in a shipping bag, and I open that up, and find more packing, padding, and technically illegal use of USPS property using more USPS bags one to wrap the game, but more as more padding.  I pop the bags off, and what do I discover?  The MVS box for the game World Heroes and bubble bag for the cart!  Not rare, sure, but I didn't ask for it, yet I do have the game and mini marquee (now I just need the dip switch sheet and 2 art cards.)

Nuts eh?  That's throwing hundreds of dollars of free stuff in the package in those cases.

ng-8mankit.JPG

ng-worldheroes.JPG

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MrPeaPod said:

I bought a wii and gamecube with games at a garage sale once. While I was testing out the consoles, I was never able to insert a game into the wii or eject one. I took the console apart and found 3 gamecube discs and 2 wii discs jammed inside. 

This post reminded me of one I forgot. I picked up a 1541 disc drive (5.25" floppy drive for C64 and similar,for those who don't know) for a couple bucks at a thrift many years back. Opened it up to inspect and clean before trying, and found someone had jammed a CD into the slot, then shattered it when they tried to close the drive.  Hadn't even occurred to me someone would try to use a 1541 that way. The drive worked after a bit of effort, so no harm done. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

On 1/8/2021 at 8:32 PM, MrPeaPod said:

I bought a wii and gamecube with games at a garage sale once. While I was testing out the consoles, I was never able to insert a game into the wii or eject one. I took the console apart and found 3 gamecube discs and 2 wii discs jammed inside. 

Animated GIF

If your console won't work, just keep jamming more discs in. Brilliant!

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1