IGNORED

Masks in public/at the park

JamesRobot

Masks at the park  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Was I over the line?

• No, you were justified. Karen got what she deserved.
    • You were were justified but over the line. You could have handled that more maturely.
    • Of course you were over the line. What an a**hole!
    • There are no winners here. You are both idiots.
    • Only morons use the term "irregardless."
    • Body check that kid! He needs to learn some boundaries.

8 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

@darkchylde28Well we can certainly agree to disagree, but to ask, do you have kids?  Your comment about how the families should all play at the park and keep their distance tells me maybe not...park playgrounds are like a candy land for kids.  If there are 2-3-4 families at a single park, good luck keeping them all 6ft from one another!  It would be a mission impossible level adventure with all the parents in perfect coordination - just not feasible.

Well that depends on how well you train your kids, imo. I work with young children of this age, and we go out to play every day, sometimes more than once. While I personally don't agree with it and think it teaches kids the wrong thing, there are certain parents who don't want their kids playing with certain other kids, either due to family disputes, being afraid the kid is a bully / too rough, etc. And guess what, those kids don't play together, despite all being outside running around together, eighteen kids or so.

But we teach our kids things, don't let them out of hand, and also watch them carefully, none of this one eye on the kid, the other on the phone.

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Why exactly do I have to agree with letting your kid play with mine? I think that's for each set of parents to decide and set parameters based on what the parents personally feel is okay.

The mother flies off the handle as likely she (a) hates to see her son sad, and (b) likely heard a version of accounts similar to what Gloves outlined. But she could have calmly asked the what actually happened, and then just left it at that. Then again, she'd likely also believe her kid's side of the story anyways over that of an adult stranger, so.

Where did she fly off the handle?  Please elaborate. 

About the letting kids play - it's a public playground which equals next to no private entitled space.  At most you have to take turns on select equipment.  Not sure the kid in question even wanted to play with OP's kid, it sounds like he simply got too close to them.

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well that depends on how well you train your kids, imo. I work with young children of this age, and we go out to play every day, sometimes more than once. While I personally don't agree with it and think it teaches kids the wrong thing, there are certain parents who don't want their kids playing with certain other kids, either due to family disputes, being afraid the kid is a bully / too rough, etc. And guess what, those kids don't play together, despite all being outside running around together, eighteen kids or so.

But we teach our kids things, don't let them out of hand, and also watch them carefully, none of this one eye on the kid, the other on the phone.

Well working with a group of kids is vastly different than 3 or 4 random families at a public park.  Working with a group of children at once teaches a level of uniformity, expectations, etc.  You can forget most all that at a public park, it's really up to the parents to co-exist.

On another note, I think respect goes a long ways in this sort of situation.

If I'm playing my electric guitar too loud on the weekend, at 3 in the after, I'm entitled to do so by law here; if the grandma living next to me complains as she's taking a nap (likely she'd be nice about it), I'd oblige, apologize for disturbing her, and go do something else.

If she went ape shit on me and chewed me out, well I'd likely turn the amp louder and play for a few more hours than originally planned, maybe even invite someone over to play drums and do a whole band practice 😂

The difference between both outcomes boils down to respect. I'm not out to bother others, and so I'm willing to try to listen if someone has a grievance and respectfully let's me know. But if the person takes issue and escalates out of the gate, no respect there for the other person, so how do they expect any respect in return?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Where did she fly off the handle?  Please elaborate. 

About the letting kids play - it's a public playground which equals next to no private entitled space.  At most you have to take turns on select equipment.  Not sure the kid in question even wanted to play with OP's kid, it sounds like he simply got too close to them.

Social distance. 

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

On another note, I think respect goes a long ways in this sort of situation.

If I'm playing my electric guitar too loud on the weekend, at 3 in the after, I'm entitled to do so by law here; if the grandma living next to me complains as she's taking a nap (likely she'd be nice about it), I'd oblige, apologize for disturbing her, and go do something else.

If she went ape shit on me and chewed me out, well I'd likely turn the amp louder and play for a few more hours than originally planned, maybe even invite someone over to play drums and do a whole band practice 😂

The difference between both outcomes boils down to respect. I'm not out to bother others, and so I'm willing to try to listen if someone has a grievance and respectfully let's me know. But if the person takes issue and escalates out of the gate, no respect there for the other person, so how do they expect any respect in return?

You’d be burned for being a foreigner 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1