IGNORED

Kickstarter : The new 8-bit Hero. Mystic Searches

TheBiRD

I think my comment is relevant to the overall thread here at the core being vaporware Kickstarter items that people paid good money for and still haven't received several years later. It's a terrible business practice, one I personally won't make the mistake of backing such projects again.

Your comment on the other hand is just trolling and adding snark for the sake of taking a swing.

Social Team · Posted

Man, I've guess I've been luck with the games I've back on Kickstater, Green Boy's Shapeshifter 1 & 2, and Beacon Pines.  The later isn't a retro game but a modern game.  Oh, and Muv-Luv was another successful "modern" game I backed.  I would say the modern ones just need a lot of time.  Both projects had frequent updates so I knew they were always working on the game and making progress.  

Now pre-kickstarter I backed a retro gaming handheld that only saw partial fulfillment.  That was $500 down the drain.  So I have been burnt before.  I basically don't give any money to Kickstarter unless I'm fine with it resulting in nothing being given.  So I don't frequently do Kickstater and I don't give a lot of money to projects either.

I've had good luck with the one I've backed (Wasteland 2, Pinball Aracde - Addams Family, Haunted Halloween '86, Full Quiet, Trogdoor!! The Board Game, Nox Archaist, NEScape!, Doodle World, and most recently Save the Kuin).  Then again, nearly everything I've backed has also had game development pretty much completed by the time the Kickstarter went up, with that money primarily being requested to get the physical copies out the door.  The only one that I've really been on the hook for was Full Quiet, which took a little over 5 years to ship, but they were an established group who provided constant updates, responded quickly when folks reached out directly, and had multiple physical game store locations they ran where you could personally go find them if worse came to worse, so I never lost faith.  For the most part, I like the Kickstarter model, but am really only comfortable putting out decent sums of money if the product is pretty much out the door already.

40 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

For the most part, I like the Kickstarter model, but am really only comfortable putting out decent sums of money if the product is pretty much out the door already.

I'd think a Famicom version of an already-made new game would fall into this category, lol.

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'd think a Famicom version of an already-made new game would fall into this category, lol.

Unless the whole thing you backed was specifically to get a Famicom version made, it might have come down to them not having enough Famicom backers to make it cost effective to do right at the start and then just back-burnering it until they forgot about it.  This isn't to say that doing so is right or to apologize for such delays happening, but more just to try to put a face on how it happened so that future similar occurrences could be avoided.  If you were one of a literal handful of Famicom backers, I'd go with my theory, then avoid any projects in the future that had similar numbers for the Famicom category just in case.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Unless the whole thing you backed was specifically to get a Famicom version made, it might have come down to them not having enough Famicom backers to make it cost effective to do right at the start and then just back-burnering it until they forgot about it.  This isn't to say that doing so is right or to apologize for such delays happening, but more just to try to put a face on how it happened so that future similar occurrences could be avoided.  If you were one of a literal handful of Famicom backers, I'd go with my theory, then avoid any projects in the future that had similar numbers for the Famicom category just in case.

It was specifically for a Famicom version, and as mentioned earlier, reg editions are out, though people still haven't received their L.E. versions.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It was specifically for a Famicom version, and as mentioned earlier, reg editions are out, though people still haven't received their L.E. versions.

Something similar happened with Nox Archaist, although they owned it right from the start and gave people the option of them shipping everything they had right then or allowing backers to wait until they'd overcome their issues.

In that situation, there was some bug with the game that cropped up when using physical discs but not in an emulator, so they were willing to ship everything including blank disks and a then-current digital copy, then ship the final version to those people later on and advise them how to write it to their disks on their own or just ask for folks' patience and ship everything completed when they figured it out.  I opted for the latter, and luckily only had to wait a couple of extra weeks.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I totally would agree with this advice as it makes sense though sadly in this particular KS situation, it was just for making a FC version of a NES game. There's been a few updates here and there, but everything has been sparse, and it's gotten to the point where last weekend when I received a dodgy text message about having to pay duty on a parcel within 14 days to have it released from customs to be shipped, I actually started wondering if it was not a scam at all, since the tracking code provided appeared to be from France - where the KS I had backed so long ago was supposed to be from. Then again, the tracking code couldn't be found in any database, the link seemed to be a spoof of the real postal site, etc, so I did nothing, and so who knows if it was legit or not. That's how ridiculous the whole situation is.

To contrast, I watched a lot of Joe Granato videos and saw him around on a lot of Face Book groups and what not. I can (somewhat) get that some people backed Mystic Searches, then got pissed when he released and focused his efforts on NES Maker, as well as a prequel Mystic Origins; that said, he gave people the option to accept Origins (and imo, back a game, get a game, it might be a fair deal for people who just want something to play in the here and NOW) after the scope of Searches began to get out of control. Now it seems we've reached the end and Searches will be arriving sooner, rather than later, and at least we are still getting reasonable updates from someone that hasn't been a ghost. 

• 4 weeks later...