IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

One thing that can provide motivation when beating games at the end of the year: if you're the kind of person who likes to beat higher difficulty levels, you can do a runthrough on Easy or Medium at year's end, and use that to be ready for a playthrough of a harder difficulty come the new year. I've done that before for the N64 thread and might do it with MK Mythologies, Super Bowling, Knife Edge Nose Gunner, etc. next year since there are 5-6 N64 games I need to replay on Hard.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, nobody likes to say "we're not gonna make it" but the games we still haven't beaten are long/hard. (heh) If we had a good crowd of people willing to hit em hard, I'd feel a lot better about it. I'll probably try for one more, just so I can say I beat 20 games. I definitely had some good experiences this year with games I'd never played before, that I can quickly beat next year.

As Jeevan said, we have to shoot for what feels like an insane amount of clears really early on. Being halfway through the library at half way through the year is a bad position to be in, for example. And December is always crazy for everyone, for lots of reasons. If we were short 10 games right now, that would be different.

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Splain said:

Yeah, nobody likes to say "we're not gonna make it" but the games we still haven't beaten are long/hard. (heh) If we had a good crowd of people willing to hit em hard, I'd feel a lot better about it. I'll probably try for one more, just so I can say I beat 20 games. I definitely had some good experiences this year with games I'd never played before, that I can quickly beat next year.

As Jeevan said, we have to shoot for what feels like an insane amount of clears really early on. Being halfway through the library at half way through the year is a bad position to be in, for example. And December is always crazy for everyone, for lots of reasons. If we were short 10 games right now, that would be different.

well said, ill start bright and early 12:01 am Jan. 1st 2022.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I know we don't normally "reserve" games, but maybe this time around we could chat about our plans going into the new year? I know a number of us have "backlogs", myself included, and these threads can help us to tackle that for sure. When you go to play a game though and it's already been done already it can be a little demotivating.

How do we feel about some soft planning going into 2022? Might help us to spread it out a bit and keep people motivated, so it's not a mad dash to play the fun games right out of the gate.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I know we don't normally "reserve" games, but maybe this time around we could chat about our plans going into the new year? I know a number of us have "backlogs", myself included, and these threads can help us to tackle that for sure. When you go to play a game though and it's already been done already it can be a little demotivating.

How do we feel about some soft planning going into 2022? Might help us to spread it out a bit and keep people motivated, so it's not a mad dash to play the fun games right out of the gate.

I second this idea.  wouldn't be a bad thing to have some plans to go about it.  I already planned on taking on ogre battle as I have never played it.  would love to do the cruisin games as well as I have only played on arcade, but army men games are my usual along with the damned elmo games lol.  I don't mind doing them tho.  but ya, some soft planning might be a good idea to try and get this done 2022.

I played paper mario last year, so if someone like @WalterWhiteJr. wanted to do that then he could have it, or anyone else for that matter, but I think he came in wanting to do it as I was playing this year.

Good idea Gloves. I was thinking of hitting up Conker’s if no one else had that planned. It’s one of the few Rare N64 games I haven’t finished. 

Maybe we could even have a list on the front page of what people are working on. This doesn’t have to be a set in stone dibs but can help people who come along later to know what is in progress. 

• Like 1

Too bad that it won't work out this year. I was trying to maybe beat a few more games, but I should have started earlier. Sorry.

As for games to tackle, I thought that it would be too expensive to buy a bunch of these games. So instead I ordered an Everdrive 64 X5 during this year's Black Friday. This way I should be able to contribute a few more games next year. I could knock out some racing games or shooters. RPGs are usually my favorites, but there aren't many on the N64, which is a shame. Sports games on the other hand are my weakness. I won't be much of a help there.

However, the NES Challenge is my main target next year as well. Therefore, I would only be able to contribute games a bit later.

So just following up on Gloves suggestion. What are people's goals for when we begin 2022? I'd like to do Conker's and Doom64 straight away. I'll have a few days off so I can hopefully knock those out right away.

Long term I wouldn't mind slowly making my way through Starcraft, but if anyone is really eyeing that one off go ahead.

@Splain I did notice that for Starcraft you only have to beat the original three chapters, is this because of the length to complete all the Brood Wars stuff would make it unlikely we would ever beat all N64 games? If so maybe we could split it into two, someone plays original and someone plays Brood Wars (assuming this is possible on the N64, I haven't checked).

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

So just following up on Gloves suggestion. What are people's goals for when we begin 2022? I'd like to do Conker's and Doom64 straight away. I'll have a few days off so I can hopefully knock those out right away.

Long term I wouldn't mind slowly making my way through Starcraft, but if anyone is really eyeing that one off go ahead.

@Splain I did notice that for Starcraft you only have to beat the original three chapters, is this because of the length to complete all the Brood Wars stuff would make it unlikely we would ever beat all N64 games? If so maybe we could split it into two, someone plays original and someone plays Brood Wars (assuming this is possible on the N64, I haven't checked).

I'd like to play Ocarina of Time, for one. It's been forever since I actually played through it. Conker's is another I'd like to play next year, but with regard to this thread at least you don't have to worry about that, I'll be waiting a while anyway.

I DO suggest that someone else give Aidyn Chronicles a go. It's a slow, plodding game, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd love to see someone else give it a good attempt and let the rest of us know what they thought.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
10 hours ago, Shmup said:

I have no qualms with you doing those!

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'd like to play Ocarina of Time, for one. It's been forever since I actually played through it. Conker's is another I'd like to play next year, but with regard to this thread at least you don't have to worry about that, I'll be waiting a while anyway.

I DO suggest that someone else give Aidyn Chronicles a go. It's a slow, plodding game, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I'd love to see someone else give it a good attempt and let the rest of us know what they thought.

I might give it a go, but we shall see.  I really, really want to do ogre battle 64 and some of the cruisin' games.  Also, you will have to talk to @ZeldaFan042 about his zelda game 😆

Events Helper · Posted

Maybe we should have a "soft call" post right after the leaderboard or on the post with the leaderboard.  If I can help @Splain keep it up to date, I will be more than willing to help out in that regards.  I think it would be a really good idea to do that this coming year as it will help with anyone saying hey im about ready to start this and then Gloves saying damnit i just started it 😆

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Maybe we should have a "soft call" post right after the leaderboard or on the post with the leaderboard.  If I can help @Splain keep it up to date, I will be more than willing to help out in that regards.  I think it would be a really good idea to do that this coming year as it will help with anyone saying hey im about ready to start this and then Gloves saying damnit i just started it 😆

Yeah I like that idea and maybe a date it was called so if say it has been two months on a game that is only like a 5 hour game we can ping the person to see how they are travelling or need someone to take over and beat it.

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Shmup said:

Yeah I like that idea and maybe a date it was called so if say it has been two months on a game that is only like a 5 hour game we can ping the person to see how they are travelling or need someone to take over and beat it.

yes, that would be good me thinks