IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

If we're accepting clears on Easy difficulty -- and I believe we are? -- then Knockout Kings 2000 is done:

1406776733_KnockoutKings2000-EasywinoverAli.jpg.f2024c1b3daf64e9358636d2164bc466.jpg

I beat Career mode as Arschbad (loose German for "ass bath"), the balding heavyweight with the pink hair and green mustache.

Once you win the heavyweight title, you get an unexpected fight against Ali. It seems like beating Ali should be the win condition -- you get credits afterward -- but maybe there are other conditions for other weight classes. Dunno what happens if you lose to Ali, as I beat him on my first try.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
14 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

If we're accepting clears on Easy difficulty -- and I believe we are? -- then Knockout Kings 2000 is done:

I beat Career mode as Arschbad (loose German for "ass bath"), the balding heavyweight with the pink hair and green mustache.

Once you win the heavyweight title, you get an unexpected fight against Ali. It seems like beating Ali should be the win condition -- you get credits afterward -- but maybe there are other conditions for other weight classes. Dunno what happens if you lose to Ali, as I beat him on my first try.

Good info, both about the ass bath and the Ali fight. I'll try and find out if anything is different in any other weight class, then I'll update the requirement.

I beat AeroGauge. Sort of a goofy racing game that tries to be really serious. The music sounds like it's from a SNES game, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

A7Hy7pw.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 242/303
3 hours ago, Splain said:

Good info, both about the ass bath and the Ali fight. I'll try and find out if anything is different in any other weight class, then I'll update the requirement.

I beat AeroGauge. Sort of a goofy racing game that tries to be really serious. The music sounds like it's from a SNES game, which isn't a bad thing I guess.

A7Hy7pw.png

How was Aerogauge for you? I remember having a bitch of a time years ago

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

How was Aerogauge for you? I remember having a bitch of a time years ago

It's an odd duck of a racing game. Even on Novice difficulty, perfectly hugging every turn, and staying in the air (which is faster than staying on the ground) you'll get MAYBE sixth place (out of eight) tops. You can even earn a respectable pole position in the qualifying round, but that exact same performance will get you dead last in the actual race.

The manual casually mentions that you can get a boost when you drift around a corner, it doesn't say that this is absolutely essential to progressing through the game at all, but it absolutely is. And that boost is very temperamental, you have to execute it near perfectly or else your speed drops way down. Drifting around corners kills your speed, it's worthless unless you get the boost. This ain't Mario Kart.

There's also a boost to be had at the starting line if you hold gas and brake at the same time, then let go of the brake at "Go." I had to watch videos to learn that one. Every opponent boosts right off the line so it doesn't matter if you earned a good position, you have to boost off the line to keep it.

If you can manage to do the drift boost reliably-ish, then the game actually begins and you can start seeing the other tracks. Luckily there are only four of them lol, so getting through the grand prix is actually no big deal. But apparently this is what racing is going to be like in the future, so I guess we'd better get used to it.

• Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
26 minutes ago, Splain said:

It's an odd duck of a racing game. Even on Novice difficulty, perfectly hugging every turn, and staying in the air (which is faster than staying on the ground) you'll get MAYBE sixth place (out of eight) tops. You can even earn a respectable pole position in the qualifying round, but that exact same performance will get you dead last in the actual race.

The manual casually mentions that you can get a boost when you drift around a corner, it doesn't say that this is absolutely essential to progressing through the game at all, but it absolutely is. And that boost is very temperamental, you have to execute it near perfectly or else your speed drops way down. Drifting around corners kills your speed, it's worthless unless you get the boost. This ain't Mario Kart.

There's also a boost to be had at the starting line if you hold gas and brake at the same time, then let go of the brake at "Go." I had to watch videos to learn that one. Every opponent boosts right off the line so it doesn't matter if you earned a good position, you have to boost off the line to keep it.

If you can manage to do the drift boost reliably-ish, then the game actually begins and you can start seeing the other tracks. Luckily there are only four of them lol, so getting through the grand prix is actually no big deal. But apparently this is what racing is going to be like in the future, so I guess we'd better get used to it.

sounds god awful

10 hours ago, Splain said:

10 hours ago, Jeevan said:

sounds god awful

Yea that all sounds familiar and yea not very fun

• Like 1

Just for the record, I also beat Knockout Kings 2000 on Medium and Hard difficulties, using boxers named Arschrad ("ass wheel") and Arschfad ("boring ass"), and saw no difference in the ending.

You don't get the chance to save before the Ali fight, but if you lose that fight, you go back to the main career mode screen and can do more training, save, and then fight Ali again as world #1. In fact, in all three playthroughs, the only match I lost was my first attempt against Ali on Hard; I won the rematch, however.

That said, I still don't know what happens if your boxer isn't a heavyweight. Probably the same thing, I'm guessing?

And yeah, this game is pretty comically easy once you know what to do: basically, spam the combo attacks, stamina be damned, and (on higher difficulties) land a super punch when you can. Knockout Kings 2000 should be an easy clear for someone next year, especially on lower difficulties.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was taking a break from the NES challenge and cleared Beetle Adventure Racing! by winning the professional championship. And it was really close! I won like 40 to 38, but before the final race I was lagging behind and only had 30 to 34. So I got really lucky in the final race!

Initially I thought that this would be an easy clear and easy 1.5 points. However, this game was surprisingly difficult for me. The controls took quite a lot of time to get used, more so than Extreme-G or Wipeout 64. Moreover, it felt like the AI was cheating, almost as if they were as fast or as slow as the game wanted them to be. Sometimes they became super fast and drove by me like a crazy and on other times they were almost driving ahead of my like a snail. I think that this game might have a bad case of rubberbanding and it ruined most of the enjoyment I could have had with this game. I'm not a fan of this one.

Anyway, I still have Lego Racers and ChoroQ 64 here and apparently ChoroQ 64 is the Japanese version of Penny Racers. Would that count?

Beetle Adventure Racing.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 245/303
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, 

Long story short, I just found out NA died and everyone moved here. So hi from the UK 😁.

I decided to start playing N64 again and I remembered NA had this annual event and I wondered if it was still going on.

Are you on track to finish it this year? I could work on some of them to get the high point guys an emblem or has all of the momentum left?

I was thinking about showing up in January again to have a real crack at it.

Do you keep track of the games people are currently working on?

Edited by djg_

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, djg_ said:

Hey, 

Long story short, I just found out NA died and everyone moved here. So hi from the UK 😁.

I decided to start playing N64 again and I remembered NA had this annual event and I wondered if it was still going on.

Are you on track to finish it this year? I could work on some of them to get the high point guys an emblem or has all of the momentum left?

welcome, it went south, but plans are for 3 big boys, myself included to start hitting it super hard out the gate in january, and you are more than welcome to join in!  Just general dibs, no hard dibs, and you are more than welcome to work on what you want and join us next year.  

No track on if/which ga

8 minutes ago, djg_ said:

Hey, 

No track on if/which is being worked on. It started out strong this year but fizzled out pretty much. Unless a good handful of people go hard on the remaining games it won’t be done this year

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

No track on if/which ga

No track on if/which is being worked on. It started out strong this year but fizzled out pretty much. Unless a good handful of people go hard on the remaining games it won’t be done this year

agreed, I think with @Nugfish @ZeldaFan042 and Myself getting a bunch of games done off the bat and you all rounding up the field we are gonna do it next year, i can feel it!

I got the full set, so i will just start my usual, and i told zeldafan i would start working on some of the longer ones, like ogre battle, right out the gate along with my usual games that i can pick off pretty easy.  Maybe we can hit 100 before the end of january?  It's a goal at least we can shoot for.  Then 200 for the first quarter?

Anyway, that is my thoughts.  

All the banners brainwashed me to get involved to help beat it but I think it was too late by that point, I have made good progress on Mega Man but I'm trying to finish off Persona Strikers so probably won't finish by the end of the year.

I'm going to reserve some space for N64 in my backlog challenge so I can help knock some off next year 🙂

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFan042 said:

If everyone who has participated so far beats 2 more games, we will only be 6 away, so 6 people could clear out the last games and voila.

problem is there are a ton of games that are long

who is gonna do starcraft and ogrebattle?

i can beat two for sure, but i know gloves is busy

im fairly busy, but would do it if we could get everyone behind it.