IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@Nugfish I seen u logged in finally.....any chance u are gonna play this year 🥺

Also hope u have been ok 

Jeevan, good to see your still on! Life and business got crazy hectic at the same time and had to put Video Games aside for a while...Things are still crazy, but I see life slowing down again by the end of the year and just made my first retro game purchases in probably two years...So all that being said, I plan on hopping back in, but it may not be until January. Hopefully we can get a good core group to participate in the '22 N64 thread 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Nugfish said:

Jeevan, good to see your still on! Life and business got crazy hectic at the same time and had to put Video Games aside for a while...Things are still crazy, but I see life slowing down again by the end of the year and just made my first retro game purchases in probably two years...So all that being said, I plan on hopping back in, but it may not be until January. Hopefully we can get a good core group to participate in the '22 N64 thread 

Hopefully next year I can participate before all the good games are gone. 😒

• Haha 2

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Nugfish said:

well I'm glad ur good man.  I was worried for awhile not seeing u on.  I'll partake again next year as I finally got all the games!  maybe u me and @ZeldaFan042 can knock a ton out in the first couple months and the rest can fill in when they can!

Anyway, good to see ya man!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been working on Rat Attack, but it's very frustrating as I'm playing on Expert mode. I'm up to Level 7 of 8.

Also, I'm not sure that my clear should count, as I've been using characters that I unlocked on my earlier playthrough of the game -- the unlockables persist from playthrough from playthrough even if you start a new game. I started doing so without realizing it, and by the time I did (realize) I'd already made it through several levels.

Again, not a big deal if it doesn't count -- I need to clear the game for my list anyway -- but the unlockable characters don't confer a huge advantage, though I can't claim it doesn't make a difference.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
43 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I've been working on Rat Attack, but it's very frustrating as I'm playing on Expert mode. I'm up to Level 7 of 8.

Also, I'm not sure that my clear should count, as I've been using characters that I unlocked on my earlier playthrough of the game -- the unlockables persist from playthrough from playthrough even if you start a new game. I started doing so without realizing it, and by the time I did (realize) I'd already made it through several levels.

Again, not a big deal if it doesn't count -- I need to clear the game for my list anyway -- but the unlockable characters don't confer a huge advantage, though I can't claim it doesn't make a difference.

for @Splain to decide lol

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Ok ok. I played some more N64 today and I'm hoping to have a clear to report soon.

@Tantalus sorry I completely missed your Hot Wheels clear forever ago. It's recorded now.

@themisfit138 correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between finishing a tournament and finishing the career mode in ECW is just some different words underneath "Congratulations." If there's no credits either way, then it's hard to say that one is the true ending and the other isn't. Soooo, I went ahead and marked it cleared. If you remember any other difference from when you did career mode a few years ago, then let me know. Otherwise I say don't sweat it.

@bronzeshield oof, I'm all for making things easy on ourselves, but I'm afraid the game has to be started this year, and it sounds like your game was technically started before that. Interesting mechanic they have going there, but if there are gameplay differences across the different characters, then it's bad news for us.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 237/303
20 hours ago, Splain said:

@bronzeshield oof, I'm all for making things easy on ourselves, but I'm afraid the game has to be started this year, and it sounds like your game was technically started before that. Interesting mechanic they have going there, but if there are gameplay differences across the different characters, then it's bad news for us.

It's more of a global thing, where even if you start a new game/new playthrough, the Controller Pak save is apparently used to determine what characters have been unlocked on previous playthroughs. In other words, you'd have to delete all your old save files to avoid it -- or use a different Controller Pak, I suppose -- or simply not use those unlockable characters: I didn't realize, sadly, until it was too late!

No worries, though, as I need to beat it for my own list. There aren't multiple saveslots, just the one, so I guess the game must track your playthrough by difficulty, as no level beyond the first was available when I started my game on Expert.

By the way, I loathe the game. Having a hard time getting the motivation to keep hurling myself at Level 7; I made it to the boss twice but the janky framerate and camera screwed me even though I knew exactly what to do. 😞

Edited by bronzeshield
grammar (I want my ninja edits back, dammit)

On 10/5/2021 at 12:15 AM, Splain said:

Ok ok. I played some more N64 today and I'm hoping to have a clear to report soon.

@themisfit138 correct me if I'm wrong, but the only difference between finishing a tournament and finishing the career mode in ECW is just some different words underneath "Congratulations." If there's no credits either way, then it's hard to say that one is the true ending and the other isn't. Soooo, I went ahead and marked it cleared. If you remember any other difference from when you did career mode a few years ago, then let me know. Otherwise I say don't sweat it.

Correct it says world champ or something to that effect. I have been stuck on a loop in that game. I would get up to rank 4 then I would get a 3 vs 1 followed by a gauntlet, then a free for all cage match. Finally getting a winnable match after setting me back to rank 7 or 8. Then repeat once I got back up to 4 or 5. Story mode in ECW is much more unfair than it is in WWF Attitude. 

Edited by themisfit138

Motherf-

I just learned that if you save the game on South Park Rally and leave the game, it only saves anything you've unlocked, you have to start the Championship all over again. Two hours of trying to beat this stupid thing down the tubes. This game officially slides from the "Not great" to the just straight-up "Bad" category 🤬

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

Motherf-

I just learned that if you save the game on South Park Rally and leave the game, it only saves anything you've unlocked, you have to start the Championship all over again. Two hours of trying to beat this stupid thing down the tubes. This game officially slides from the "Not great" to the just straight-up "Bad" category 🤬

Oof. 

Events Helper · Posted
26 minutes ago, KokiriChild said:

Motherf-

Editorials Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've tried my hands at Wipeout 64 and was wondering what the completion criterium is?

Good question. You can view the credits at any time from the Options menu, so I guess we have to decide what's a good place to call it "beaten" without requiring 100% completion, which is famously hard. Looks like there's a Super Combo Challenge that you can unlock when you complete the other 3 challenges with at least a bronze medal, and it's infamous for how brutal it is and how lucky you have to be to win it. Let me dig into previous years and see what was counted before. I know in 2018 MeridianPrime just medaled in all the stock challenges and then reported that it was beaten, I'll find the other 2 years it was beaten and see what I can see.

16 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

Motherf-

This is why i gave up on this one earlier this year. Such a pain in the ass the beat in one go. Some of the “races” just suck like the cupid one

• Like 1

Okay, I continued Wipeout 64, which is overall a pretty cool racing game, but way too hard. But not just that. There's either something wrong with the game or with my cartridge, because it frequently freezes after I've won a challenge. Imagine finally getting one or several medals after lots and lots of trying or maybe even getting a gold medal only for the game to freeze and crash before you can save the progress on the controller pak. What's even worse, I can not continue from the second challenge onwards. Whenever I beat super combo challenge 2 I get this weird bug, where the winning screen just continues all while I'm unable to do any button input. Wtf is this?! It must be some kind of bug, right? But even cleaning the contact does nothing for me. I can't finish the game! Maybe I need another cartridge?

Editorials Team · Posted
On 10/18/2021 at 5:20 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Not sure if this counts as beaten, but I got a medal on all 24 challenges in Wipeout 64. If not, I'll go back to earn some more gold medals.

Honestly, it sounds good to me. If we really need to tweak it for future years, then we can, but right now the old NA forums aren't up anymore on GoCollect and I can't find where I saved those old threads (and on which computer...) so let's just count it. It's a "well done" screen after all.

Also, I beat Polaris SnoCross. It's not a good game but it can be kinda fun when you know the tracks well enough that you can defeat the rubberbanding and actually win a race. Or it's just Stockholm Syndrome. There's no FAQ for it on GameFAQs so I'm going to submit one. It's one of those games where you can view the credits at any time, so there's a very unceremonious "ending" screen. I have a lot to say about this game but I'll save it for the FAQ, lol.

Y8amcfA.png?1

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 239/303