IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 246/303

Splain

1 hour ago, Tantalus said:

With my clear of California Speed, that's 38, but it looks like @LeatherRebel5150's clear of Mystical Ninja was missed, so we should be at 39, I think! How many more can we knock out this month yet?

@Splain missed my Mystical Ninja!??!!! He's sabotaging thr thread!!!

But seriously I'm hoping we can get farther this year. It was going ok the first half of the year in 2020 and petered out. Im hoping that now that Im done with college I'll be able to contribute more

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

49 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

But seriously I'm hoping we can get farther this year. It was going ok the first half of the year in 2020 and petered out. Im hoping that now that Im done with college I'll be able to contribute more

I'm hoping to buy a lot of N64 games and devote a lot of time to beating them once I graduate in May, so hopefully we can keep the momentum going

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

I'm hoping to buy a lot of N64 games and devote a lot of time to beating them once I graduate in May, so hopefully we can keep the momentum going

honestly thats the plan, im working on getting to 200 this year, so I plan on playing as much as i collect i hope, but the backlog thing and game night too might not let me contribute as much, but im on a roll right now so we will see.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Virtual Chess done. I was black. Anyone who rags on this game for having a terrible interface and controls is 100% correct. How did they possibly mess it up that bad?

@Tantalus thanks for catching Goemon, and good job @LeatherRebel5150 for beating it. I'm halfway through Pilotwings right now.

uIBKtby.png?1

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 39/303
  • The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 41/303
  • The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 43/303

I'm calling Roadsters done unless Im requires to get first in each level. There are no credits it just shows you the place you finished in for the class. I replayed the first circuit so many times. At first I didn't realize that once you open the next class up that you had to scroll left/right on the class screen to get to it. I though it would just show it to you automatically when you unlocked it, like most games. Once that was figured out I had to re-start individual races constantly. The physics on each car vary so wildly you have to really mess around with which car to use and then which suspension and gear ratio to use otherwise your all over the place...and even then you can end up all over the road. There is a pit mechanic so you can change the types of tires you use if it starts to rain/stops raining. NEVER pit, just keep going. You might get away with it if your first and all the cars are taking a pit, but the amount of time you lose in pitting will put you dead last and not give you  enough time to catch up if your the only racer doing it.

OTHcY6g.jpg

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 2

I was checking to see what games I played in the past, even though its not a huge amount its been a long time and I don't remember and found the links for the previous NA threads if anyone is interested. The old NA pages dont seem to let you view anything except the first and last 5 pages. Anything in between comes up as an error. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know. Thanks

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/185373/can-na-beat-every-n64-game-in-a-year-2019

http://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview37f4.html?StartRow=1&catid=31&threadid=179492

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I can gather that data (who beat what game in what year) if there's interest. I saved off all the N64 threads before NA went down. I have that data for Game Boy and there are some interesting patterns there. I thought I had it all compiled for N64, I still might have it somewhere.

@LeatherRebel5150 should we count Roadsters beaten with a 2nd-place finish? There aren't credits when you finish 1st but it does unlock mirror tracks. I'll go through the old threads and see how it was counted in the past.

I finished Pilotwings. It really is a fun game, but I can't even imagine getting 100 points in some of those missions. The last class in all the vehicles seemed like they literally tried to find ways to make each vehicle less fun. I played it on a tiny portable-DVD-player auxiliary screen.

8f3LPSE.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 45/303

Canada has won gold in Olympic Hockey 98. I was not enjoying this one at all initially, but dug into the settings and switched it from simulation to arcade at which point it played more like an early predecessor to the NHL Hitz games of the early 2000's. It even has the same announcer. I think it's using the same engine as the Wayne Gretzky games, but I haven't played those in so long that I can no longer say for certain.

Olympic Hockey 98 (USA)-210126-140730.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Splain said:

I can gather that data (who beat what game in what year) if there's interest. I saved off all the N64 threads before NA went down. I have that data for Game Boy and there are some interesting patterns there. I thought I had it all compiled for N64, I still might have it somewhere.

@LeatherRebel5150 should we count Roadsters beaten with a 2nd-place finish? There aren't credits when you finish 1st but it does unlock mirror tracks. I'll go through the old threads and see how it was counted in the past.

I finished Pilotwings. It really is a fun game, but I can't even imagine getting 100 points in some of those missions. The last class in all the vehicles seemed like they literally tried to find ways to make each vehicle less fun. I played it on a tiny portable-DVD-player auxiliary screen.

8f3LPSE.jpg

Roadshows was done in one of the early years. Actually thinking about it, since there are no credits, wouldn't just completing any class be considered beat? The classes only act as an easy, medium, hard mode. In comparison to other games with no credits, it's usually just complete a season or beat the computer so wouldn't completing a class be the same? 🤔 

Im not trying to get out of getting first in that class, its just a thinker in terms of how to handle it.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
On 1/27/2021 at 5:37 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Roadshows was done in one of the early years. Actually thinking about it, since there are no credits, wouldn't just completing any class be considered beat? The classes only act as an easy, medium, hard mode. In comparison to other games with no credits, it's usually just complete a season or beat the computer so wouldn't completing a class be the same? 🤔 

Im not trying to get out of getting first in that class, its just a thinker in terms of how to handle it.

I went ahead and counted it since there's no evidence of credits anywhere online, but I'll keep an eye out for any info. If anyone has any input about 2nd-place vs 1st-place finish, then we can discuss it. I want to say that 2nd place means the computer still beat you, but since there's no ending either way, I'll mark it complete while we decide.

I don't know what happened to my saved copies of the previous threads, I know I have them somewhere. But I went through 2012 on GoCollect to record who cleared each game, the order the games were cleared in (possibly useful for determining point values) and the page number of the clear, in case anyone wants to go back and see what other people have said about each game. Most of them are just "game beaten" but sometimes there's info about how they did it or what they had to do. It's really neat to read through the old posts, but 2012 took me a looong time, so I won't have the rest done for some time. I could have beaten a game in that time! So... sometime later this year I'll publish that info.

• The title was changed to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 49/303
1 hour ago, Splain said:

I went ahead and counted it since there's no evidence of credits anywhere online, but I'll keep an eye out for any info. If anyone has any input about 2nd-place vs 1st-place finish, then we can discuss it. I want to say that 2nd place means the computer still beat you, but since there's no ending either way, I'll mark it complete while we decide.

I did get first place in a different class if that makes a difference.

IMG_4706.JPG

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
3 hours ago, Splain said:

I don't know what happened to my saved copies of the previous threads, I know I have them somewhere. But I went through 2012 on GoCollect to record who cleared each game, the order the games were cleared in (possibly useful for determining point values) and the page number of the clear, in case anyone wants to go back and see what other people have said about each game. Most of them are just "game beaten" but sometimes there's info about how they did it or what they had to do. It's really neat to read through the old posts, but 2012 took me a looong time, so I won't have the rest done for some time. I could have beaten a game in that time! So... sometime later this year I'll publish that info.

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I did get first place in a different class if that makes a difference.

IMG_4706.JPG

Honestly I'm ok with counting it because there are some that say beat on at least normal difficulty to see credits......I would say that his 1st in everything other than the "hardest" mode would count imo.

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah, the more I look at the game, the more it kinda seems like the whole point of higher divisions is just to earn more money and unlock more cars. Nothing changes after you win (or place in) the 1st division, you just unlock more stuff and it puts you back at the screen where you can go buy cars or start another season. And we're definitely not going to require unlocking all cars.

So what should we put as the requirement? Place 1st in any division?

20 minutes ago, Splain said:

Yeah, the more I look at the game, the more it kinda seems like the whole point of higher divisions is just to earn more money and unlock more cars. Nothing changes after you win (or place in) the 1st division, you just unlock more stuff and it puts you back at the screen where you can go buy cars or start another season. And we're definitely not going to require unlocking all cars.

Yea 1st in any division sounds good. IT will make it more likely to get done in the future also.

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, Splain said:

12 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Yea 1st in any division sounds good. IT will make it more likely to get done in the future also.

What about points, if u can do it on easy, is it hard enough for the point value?  3 points good or no?

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

What about points, if u can do it on easy, is it hard enough for the point value?  3 points good or no?

I assumed points were going to continue to be based on previously beaten and/or desirability to play? But If I had to rate the difficulty to points, hmmm, Getting first in C class is not too hard, it will take a couple races to fiddle with your car to get the feel for it and raise some money to upgrade it. I played class C a bunch to raise money but if I were to just beat that class it could realistically take someone totally new to the game 2 playthroughs of the class. The first to get some money and not necessarily get first and the second to win. Maybe an hour and a half to do on the long end. 

So with that info you could determine points I guess. I would need a scale to go off of. Is Hard a 5 and 1 super easy, or 10 and 1? etc. Based on 5 I'd say its like a 2

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I assumed points were going to continue to be based on previously beaten and/or desirability to play? But If I had to rate the difficulty to points, hmmm, Getting first in C class is not too hard, it will take a couple races to fiddle with your car to get the feel for it and raise some money to upgrade it. I played class C a bunch to raise money but if I were to just beat that class it could realistically take someone totally new to the game 2 playthroughs of the class. The first to get some money and not necessarily get first and the second to win. Maybe an hour and a half to do on the long end. 

So with that info you could determine points I guess. I would need a scale to go off of. Is Hard a 5 and 1 super easy, or 10 and 1? etc. Based on 5 I'd say its like a 2

not sure really, just didn't know because I thought we were thinking about adjusting points.  Figured I would get the input while the pain was fresh in your head 😆