Jump to content
IGNORED

Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 203/303


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm still wishing we could all play PS1/2 for a thread like this, but it'll never happen.

That sounds fun, but I'm afraid that there are too many of these threads open at the same time and only so much time that we can dedicate to them. Unless there is a united effort I wouldn't expect the GB or N64 threads to be beaten within a year. Too bad! Because these charms look really sweet!

And PS1 and 2 have a bit too many games that are also quite a bit longer than the average NES game. Apparently there are over 3000 PS1 games worldwide and over 1200 in the US alone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

maybe we should complete this one first!!!!聽 馃ぃ

15 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm still wishing we could all play PS1/2 for a thread like this, but it'll never happen.

@Gaia Gensouki@Jeevan@Gloves

Maybe instead of completing the same sets over and over again, we should have a rolling process with maybe two or three active at once. When NES finishes, add Genesis. When N64 finishes, add PS1. I could get on board with that. More options for everyone.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AdministratorPosted
14 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

@Gaia Gensouki@Jeevan@Gloves

Maybe instead of completing the same sets over and over again, we should have a rolling process with maybe two or three active at once. When NES finishes, add Genesis. When N64 finishes, add PS1. I could get on board with that. More options for everyone.

I like that idea and have brought basically the same thing up before, but apparently people just like to play the exact same games over and over again every year. 馃槙

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

BTW just a friendly reminder: If we ever happen to get the whole set beaten in a year, we do have Charms ready to hand out. We have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd top contributor Charms, and one for all participants.

These are only handed out though if we do indeed聽complete聽the goal!

image.png

No VirtualBoy?馃

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events TeamPosted
44 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

@Gaia Gensouki@Jeevan@Gloves

Maybe instead of completing the same sets over and over again, we should have a rolling process with maybe two or three active at once. When NES finishes, add Genesis. When N64 finishes, add PS1. I could get on board with that. More options for everyone.

I like this idea as well, but good luck getting the masses to agree to this 馃ぃ

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

That sounds fun, but I'm afraid that there are too many of these threads open at the same time and only so much time that we can dedicate to them. Unless there is a united effort I wouldn't expect the GB or N64 threads to be beaten within a year. Too bad! Because these charms look really sweet!

Dont be so sure. The N64 was done one year back on NA. It can happen again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
7 hours ago, Gloves said:

I like that idea and have brought basically the same thing up before, but apparently people just like to play the exact same games over and over again every year. 馃槙

I've been tempted to start up a Sega Master System one several times, but worried it would just turn into the "How Many Sega Master System Games Can Red Beat?" thread.

7 hours ago, ZeldaFan042 said:

No VirtualBoy?馃

Virtual Boy was attempted聽over at that other website. 聽Even with only 14 games it was never completed. 聽聽

  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events TeamPosted
2 minutes ago, Red said:

I've been tempted to start up a Sega Master System one several times, but worried it would just turn into the "How Many Sega Master System Games Can Red Beat?" thread.

Virtual Boy was attempted聽over at that other website. 聽Even with only 14 games it was never completed. 聽聽

Do you 64?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Red said:

I've been tempted to start up a Sega Master System one several times, but worried it would just turn into the "How Many Sega Master System Games Can Red Beat?" thread.

Virtual Boy was attempted聽over at that other website. 聽Even with only 14 games it was never completed. 聽聽

I think with both of these, one solution is to not limit it to a year, at least at first. Start out by nailing down what exactly counts as a win, and then move into trying to do it in a year.

Not such a big deal with the smaller libraries of the Virtual Boy and the North American SMS library -- as opposed to something like the PlayStation, say --聽but still worthwhile, especially since some of those early SMS games are ambiguous about whether they have an ending.

Anyway, I've beaten a smattering of SMS games over the last few years -- I beat six or seven last year, actually, including聽a couple trickier ones like Altered Beast. I'd have contributed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MemberPosted
12 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I think with both of these, one solution is to not limit it to a year, at least at first. Start out by nailing down what exactly counts as a win, and then move into trying to do it in a year.

Not such a big deal with the smaller libraries of the Virtual Boy and the North American SMS library -- as opposed to something like the PlayStation, say --聽but still worthwhile, especially since some of those early SMS games are ambiguous about whether they have an ending.

Anyway, I've beaten a smattering of SMS games over the last few years -- I beat six or seven last year, actually, including聽a couple trickier ones like Altered Beast. I'd have contributed!

This discussion got me thinking about it again and now I kinda want to try doing Sega Master System with a shorter time limit. 聽Maybe make the challenge be to beat the library in one season and call it something like "The Spring Sega Challenge". 聽Maybe a shorter time limit would motivate potential participants to not put off joining in? 聽I don't know. 聽Just trying to think of a different way聽to do it.

I already have a partial list of completion requirements and even a point system set up. 聽It's not perfect, but I have less popular, longer, or more difficult聽games worth more. 聽It's based on my personal experiences though, so some games I'm just unfamiliar with automatically got higher point values.

19 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Do you 64?

I'll probably beat a few this year. 聽Not working on anything at the moment though. 聽Sorry, I guess I'm starting to derail the topic here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events TeamPosted

As soon as i wake up and go pay my water bill imma plug in the 64 and start cranking out some easy to beat games

Unfortunately i bought the elmo games last year, figure i will knock them out really quick like then on to army men most likely

maybe mix in a wrasslin' game or 2 as well if i can.........*sigh*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Splain changed the title to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 18/303
Events TeamPosted

Ok, so I am gonna work on Earthbound today, and n64 tomorrow.聽 I had a long day of errands and am just now getting back home.聽 I will spend all day trying to knock out the rest of our 25/26 for the month.聽 I also just got a big ole' lot of 18 games in 馃槉.聽 Brings me over 100 for the set.聽聽

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials TeamPosted

I participated in that Beat Every VB Game thread! I cleared one game for it, and tried my hardest to top the high score for Nester's Funky Bowling, but couldn't do it before the year ended.

Sooo if there's some other format that we'd prefer for this thread or other threads, we can try anything. Here are some of my thoughts:

- In 2018, other people starting jumping into the N64 thread once it was apparent that we were actually on track to beat all the games. People are supposedly less willing to jump on board if the ship is sinking. A huge early effort is absolutely necessary for bringing more people into the thread. Should there be more advertising? Maybe I can add the links to my signature?

- What's the true purpose of the thread? If we don't beat every game, is everyone angry for having wasted all that time playing video games? The Game Boy thread has never come close to beating all games, but for us over there, it's more about individually discovering new games and discussing them. And it's sort of a loose framework for just playing and talking about GB games, which is something we like.

- Points as a motivator, only go so far. Maybe I should post who past winners are so that it's a bigger deal to get more points?

- The one-year limit does seem self-defeating (beating the same games over and over) but if you look at the SNES and Genesis threads, you can see how slowly they move and how the lack of urgency affects the general activity of those efforts.

- When the NES Classic came out, someone started a thread on NA to try and get 30 people to beat 30 games (each) in 30 days, or something like that. That one was fun; it allowed everyone to work toward a common goal, but also show their individual progress toward their personal 30 games. We didn't end up fully reaching the goal but it was still great.

- Is it bad to have too many threads? I was planning on finally starting the GBC thread as a non-annual thing, but obviously I don't want to take away from any other thread. The VB contest going on right now is admittedly taking some of my time from these threads, but the year is long and I'll be able to jump back in when the contest is over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Splain changed the title to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 20/303
15 minutes ago, Splain said:

Maybe I can add the links to my signature?

Done.

13 minutes ago, Splain said:

What's the true purpose of the thread?

16 minutes ago, Splain said:

- The one-year limit does seem self-defeating (beating the same games over and over)

I love to revisit my favorite games on the console every so often, and this gives me an excuse聽to do so. It also gives me an excuse to explore the library more and play games I probably wouldn't otherwise. I think it's a ton of fun.

16 minutes ago, Splain said:

- Is it bad to have too many threads?

I don't think so, but I think we should limit the number of "beat every game in a year" threads, and have others be "beat every game" threads without time limits. A limited number of "beat every game in a year" threads will help people focus their efforts more and increase the chances of success.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events TeamPosted
23 minutes ago, Splain said:

I participated in that Beat Every VB Game thread! I cleared one game for it, and tried my hardest to top the high score for Nester's Funky Bowling, but couldn't do it before the year ended.

Sooo if there's some other format that we'd prefer for this thread or other threads, we can try anything. Here are some of my thoughts:

- In 2018, other people starting jumping into the N64 thread once it was apparent that we were actually on track to beat all the games. People are supposedly less willing to jump on board if the ship is sinking. A huge early effort is absolutely necessary for bringing more people into the thread. Should there be more advertising? Maybe I can add the links to my signature?

- What's the true purpose of the thread? If we don't beat every game, is everyone angry for having wasted all that time playing video games? The Game Boy thread has never come close to beating all games, but for us over there, it's more about individually discovering new games and discussing them. And it's sort of a loose framework for just playing and talking about GB games, which is something we like.

- Points as a motivator, only go so far. Maybe I should post who past winners are so that it's a bigger deal to get more points?

- The one-year limit does seem self-defeating (beating the same games over and over) but if you look at the SNES and Genesis threads, you can see how slowly they move and how the lack of urgency affects the general activity of those efforts.

- When the NES Classic came out, someone started a thread on NA to try and get 30 people to beat 30 games (each) in 30 days, or something like that. That one was fun; it allowed everyone to work toward a common goal, but also show their individual progress toward their personal 30 games. We didn't end up fully reaching the goal but it was still great.

- Is it bad to have too many threads? I was planning on finally starting the GBC thread as a non-annual thing, but obviously I don't want to take away from any other thread. The VB contest going on right now is admittedly taking some of my time from these threads, but the year is long and I'll be able to jump back in when the contest is over.

I think that the general consensus is just play games.聽 Im not angry if we dont beat them.聽 Would be nice to see a charm for a year tho.聽 Would be nice to do this thread, but again, these games are a lot longer than most nes games.聽 This is a little more difficult vs. the nes imo.聽 sure it has over double the amount of games, but look how long some of these can take.聽 It would be nice to get a little help, but not required.聽 Just wanna see everyone having fun, regardless if we beat them all or not.聽聽

This thread inspired me to go whole hog on n64 collecting, so there is that.聽 It's not just about playing games, its about getting to chat it up while doing it 馃槈.聽 Sappy ole' me and friendships along the way eh?聽聽

Long story short, i like this format.聽 It has helped get my butt in gear and discover some real 64 gems honestly.聽 I never would have known that buck bumble was a good game had I not visited this thread.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Splain changed the title to Beat every N64 game - 2021 - 203/303

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Create New...