IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 47/497
  • The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 49/497

Bomb Jack is complete.  I had been hoping that it would contain 60 entirely unique levels but it's still a great game with 12 repeated 5x.  I was treated to a cool musical extension at the end; either that or I never let the intro music play long enough to get there, probably the latter.  Did it on Normal difficulty and Normal speed, so I'll have to give it a shot on Hard sometime...

Bombjack .png

Edited by PII
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Kind of curious, but why is Pokemon Yellow not listed?  It was the last official black & white original Gameboy game released.  Had they not made the cart yellow to match what red and blue had for theirs it would have been in a gray shell.

Small Solder is on the list then Pokemon Yellow should also be included, right?  as for the last b/w (just looking at the release dates) Small Solder would be the last b/w game would it not?

@Splain, is Pokemon yellow in the black cart(crossover list), or the GBC list? 

23 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Small Solder is on the list then Pokemon Yellow should also be included, right?  as for the last b/w (just looking at the release dates) Small Solder would be the last b/w game would it not?

@Splain, is Pokemon yellow in the black cart(crossover list), or the GBC list? 

Small Soldiers?  There's a question about that?  It came in a gray cart with a Super Gameboy emblem on it for its support.  I go by really what Nintendo said and what the wiki also says, Pokemon Yellow as the last og gameboy game.  If we're not including it that's fine, it just seems strange.  I have no intention of playing it out to the end, once was enough 20 years ago or so, but someone might.

Small Soldiers was one of the last, but depending on the resource, there may have been a couple others released later, such as Beavis & Butt-head and Rugrats Movie (which had both black and gray cart versions). The packaging certainly matches, and the Japanese release was around the same time as the US releases of Blue & Red.  I think those pre-date Game Boy Color's launch, but I honestly don't pay attention to GBC that closely.   I remember reading something about why Yellow is technically GBC (That thread could have been on the NA forums), but I can understand counting it as regular GB.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Small Soldiers?  There's a question about that?  It came in a gray cart with a Super Gameboy emblem on it for its support.  I go by really what Nintendo said and what the wiki also says, Pokemon Yellow as the last og gameboy game.  If we're not including it that's fine, it just seems strange.  I have no intention of playing it out to the end, once was enough 20 years ago or so, but someone might.

Pokemon Yellow was originally released 9-98 and Small Soldiers released 11-98.  If your ( @Tanooki) using the logic that the Pokemon yellow would be a gray then based on the release date it would be a gray cart and be included but due to the "code" it has the GBC header then Pokemon yellow would be one of the first "Crossover GBC) and not included in the OG DMG list but in the "crossover" or GBC beat every game list. 

1 hour ago, Floating Platforms said:

released later, such as Beavis & Butt-head and Rugrats Movie (which had both black and gray cart versions).

@Floating Platformswas unaware of the Beavis & Butthead had a re-release! 😲

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If we're not including it that's fine, it just seems strange.  I have no intention of playing it out to the end, once was enough 20 years ago or so, but someone might.

@Tanooki i with you once very 20 years is good for me..

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Oh no not this again lol.

I'll be brief. 😄

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Kind of curious, but why is Pokemon Yellow not listed?  It was the last official black & white original Gameboy game released.  Had they not made the cart yellow to match what red and blue had for theirs it would have been in a gray shell.

It would have been in a black shell. The exclusion of Yellow is explained in the first post of the thread.

Pokemon Yellow came out in October of 1999, Small Soldiers was November of 1998.  Between them Oddworld (98) and Beavis and Butthead (99) arrived.  DMG-APSE-USA (and USA-1) are the product codes for Pokemon Yellow.  Not trying to be argumentative here, but the wikipedia has dates for all 3 primary regions.

You know what makes it the absolute worst?  Nintendo.  They pulled the documents finally offline in the last couple of years, but the wayback machine works: http://web.archive.org/web/20160303181156/http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/downloads/completeoldgameslist.pdf

According to their infinite wisdom Pokemon Silver and Gold are also counted as Gameboy Games, not Color, only Crystal.  Their attitude is only translucent carts, the non-hybrid, are the only GBC games.  I can't say I agree in the least bit given they're coded in color.

There's even a sharp difference in colorization of Yellow vs Gold/Silver.  Yellow just uses your stock standard DMG "color" limit but wisely chooses by the screen sets to use much like a SGB game, but the others, they're very designed proper for GBC display.

Then again, look at Gold and Silver, their product codes are DMG-XXX-USA.  Crystal?  CGB-BYTE-USA no DMG there.

I'm only writing this to see what you all think of how Nintendo decided it??

Edited by Tanooki

Editorials Team · Posted

Release dates don't matter, as there were B&W releases AND color releases both before and after Yellow. "DMG" in the product code doesn't matter, as every black cart also has DMG in the product code.

Here's a link to a post I made on NintendoAge, laying out all the arguments. In short, what people "think" it is, including Nintendo, doesn't override what's actually inside.

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/comment/3154113

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had time to play GB (or much of anything lately) but I am taking a break from Out to Lunch. I want to play something else for a bit, so I'm going to work on Nobunaga's Ambition. I couldn't find a manual scan, so I ordered one online. Hopefully it can answer the questions I have about how to play this game.

Editorials Team · Posted

Yep, no time limit for GBC. I put together a list of which black carts have identical gameplay to their grey-cart counterparts, so that clearing one or the other can count for both lists. I imagine it'll be a pretty slow effort, but like bronzeshield, it'll be a good excuse to play some stuff I've been sitting on for a while, like Survival Kids/Stranded Kids

Editorials Team · Posted

Don't be sorry! I of all people should have remembered it. That was my first time through it, so it's something I needed to do anyway. In the meantime I beat Monster Truck Wars. This was a game that I thought was kind of bad, since you could "never tell" when you did something wrong and weren't going to get credit for completing a lap. But it turns out there is a very obvious, very visible indicator to show if you went off the track too far in the wrong spots. I just never noticed it somehow. That really makes the game a lot better in my eyes, I thought it was a buggy mess. I'm glad I played it again, lol.

If my count is right, this is my 11th game for February.

ob5ACtQ.jpg

• Like 1