IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, koifish said:

I don't see anyone playing it, so I'm playing through Pyramids of Ra right now. It's not bad, sort of relaxing. I'm waiting for the moment to come that it gets really damn hard or something.

Also @Splain it has been almost a year but I just noticed, there are a few games, such as NBA Jam TE, where they have been cleared and the points reflect it, but the name is still bold. Thought I'd let you know 🙂

Aw what!! Stupid Google Sheets Conditional Formatting. Lol thanks for pointing that out. And good luck with Pyramids of Ra, the thing with that game is that there are literally thousands of levels (not unique) and if you pass a level quickly, the seconds you didn't use translate to how many levels you can skip as you go through each pyramid. So it works great toward the beginning of the game, where you can stare at each level and do them on the first try, for the most part. Then you're skipping like 90 levels at a time. Then, as you go, you get levels with moving tiles and other things that have to be timed perfectly, and it's crazy hard (for me anyway) to do it on the first try, and every time you fail, that's another few dozen seconds you're using up, and another few dozen levels you're not skipping.

I tried it years ago, and it's a neat game, but I gave up when my password didn't work and I lost my progress. I had taken a photo of the password, so it's not like I had copied it wrong. I'm still bitter about it. 😠

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Aw what!! Stupid Google Sheets Conditional Formatting. Lol thanks for pointing that out. And good luck with Pyramids of Ra, the thing with that game is that there are literally thousands of levels (not unique) and if you pass a level quickly, the seconds you didn't use translate to how many levels you can skip as you go through each pyramid. So it works great toward the beginning of the game, where you can stare at each level and do them on the first try, for the most part. Then you're skipping like 90 levels at a time. Then, as you go, you get levels with moving tiles and other things that have to be timed perfectly, and it's crazy hard (for me anyway) to do it on the first try, and every time you fail, that's another few dozen seconds you're using up, and another few dozen levels you're not skipping.

I tried it years ago, and it's a neat game, but I gave up when my password didn't work and I lost my progress. I had taken a photo of the password, so it's not like I had copied it wrong. I'm still bitter about it. 😠

Wow, that would suck. I didn't know that this game was that long. I also didn't realize that you skipped levels from the "energy". Fortunately this seems to be a game that I'm not too bad at, most of my clears have been 100 as you said. Now that I'm out of the first temple it may be tougher. I'll try and keep close track of my passwords, thanks for the advice.

There's another twist to Pyramids of Ra that I've found. You don't get rushed for sitting on the start square and figuring out the map, and you can still get 100 or close no matter how long you wait at the beginning. So, in my case, I'm not bad at figuring out where you have to go from the start, and I just sit on each map, planning out the perfect route. Once I get it, I find I am able to consistently do 90+ scores even on the higher levels.

The moving platforms do suck, but I'm willing to put up with them for now.

Finished the second quest of Bubble Bobble today.  None of the levels gave me an extraordinary amount of trouble this time, but the ones that force you to create bubbles underneath you while jumping in a narrow space feel like absolute pure luck.  The final boss was the same pattern (although I think he threw bottles more often) and had more HP, but it wasn't too hard taking him down since I learned from my massive failures in the first quest.  It took just under 6 hours to get both quests done in case anyone's thinking about trying it.

Numa3kp.png

I started High Stakes Gambling as well and I've defeated the first 2 mafia bosses (of 5). I might complete it tonight if the cards go my way.

• Like 3

Beethoven is done.  last stage was a head scratcher.  a few trick was learned.  if you hold the down while on a elevator you stop it that is very helpful.  to use a key you have to hold down and then tap b  that was not talked about in the manual.

off to find another one game.  Brainbender get slow after group 4 so this will be one for a long haul.. 

• Like 2

Looks like a busy day for the thread! We should be hitting 150 pretty soon.

I just finished High Stakes Gambling.

ym6SxkH.png

So much better than Caesar's Palace! I really enjoyed the set-up of the game and its progression. You can buy "cheats" to help you on the various games (like switch hands in blackjack, or add a joker to your poker hand). The boss can too, so there's a bit of strategy needed to avoid them making counter moves.  The games themselves play well and move quickly, and it's great that doing poorly in the 3 lead-in sections don't completely ruin your ability to beat the boss in the poker showdowns. The biggest downfall is that I didn't notice much difference in behavior between the five bosses and there are several moves they could have made against me with their cheats that were ignored. It made the game easier, but I was planning around strategies they didn't use sometimes.

Next will be Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I would have started it tonight, but it seems there are no saves or passwords, so I'll wait until later in the week when I have more time to sit down with it.

• Like 1

I beat one match of soccer mania, but I am not sure that really is the ending. The one place online I could find with any info on it said that you won the game upon beating all five other teams. I'm intimidated by that, as trying to beat the Brazil team after the Japan team was an awful time. I feel like I barely understand the game, but I did notice that once Japan was beaten, you could then select another opponent, and Japan's name was not present anymore. I suspect that this site may be telling the truth, and if it is, then I think this game might not get cleared very easily. 😞

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, koifish said:

I beat one match of soccer mania, but I am not sure that really is the ending. The one place online I could find with any info on it said that you won the game upon beating all five other teams. I'm intimidated by that, as trying to beat the Brazil team after the Japan team was an awful time. I feel like I barely understand the game, but I did notice that once Japan was beaten, you could then select another opponent, and Japan's name was not present anymore. I suspect that this site may be telling the truth, and if it is, then I think this game might not get cleared very easily. 😞

Look at the "requirement" column for this game on the first page of this thread 😉

39 minutes ago, Ulrizza said:

Look at the "requirement" column for this game on the first page of this thread 😉

Haha, not to worry, I did see the posted req. I'm pointing out out more because we occasionally have found that what we thought was the ending was actually not accurate, such as with Brain Drain being 250 levels, rather than 50 as previously thought. I suspect this could be another such case, where a GB game that almost no one played or talked about has a deceptive element, drawn purely from lack of awareness due to the high levels of obscurity enjoyed by some of the games we play here.

Edited by koifish
  • Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Wow, great work guys.

@Floating Platforms I'll have to give High Stakes Gambling another go. Last time I tried it, I couldn't get past the 4th boss because the cheating was too much. I noticed that the boss had access to more cheats than I did, so it felt like there wasn't much I could do that wouldn't get countered right away, plus some. So I guess I was being too simplistic about strategy.

And @koifish you're probably right about Soccer Mania, I'll update the requirement for now since "win 1 game" sounds like the kind of thing I write down when I don't think there's any real progression or ending.

Edit: and @JVOSS I'll mark Sea Battle as finished but keep us posted if there's a better ending.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 145/497

Jack Nicklaus Golf is done.  it more or less like any golf game.  the only dis like was the putting with no map of the greens or terrain it made putting hard.  the only indications you have is the draw and a circle with a line.  after a few games i was able to under stand.  the key take away was on the drive if you needed to hit right you go below the start line if you needed to hit left you stop above the start line.  depending on how far past or above determines how much you shank it by. very helpful if you have a left or right turn.  after a few more game this help with putting also.

on to a new game maybe Pinball Mania

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Splain said:

@Floating Platforms I'll have to give High Stakes Gambling another go. Last time I tried it, I couldn't get past the 4th boss because the cheating was too much. I noticed that the boss had access to more cheats than I did, so it felt like there wasn't much I could do that wouldn't get countered right away, plus some. So I guess I was being too simplistic about strategy.

And @koifish you're probably right about Soccer Mania, I'll update the requirement for now since "win 1 game" sounds like the kind of thing I write down when I don't think there's any real progression or ending.

I have the scan for the Soccer Mania manual and it says that you're in a tournament against 5 teams: Japan, Brazil, England, West Germany, and France. To win the tournament, you must defeat all five teams. Once you have won the competition, you will have a chance to face your greatest challenge against the awesome mystery All-Star team."

It sounds like the game doesn't make it too obvious on the cart that there's a tournament aspect, but I guess there's an end game to shoot for.

@Splain For High Stakes, maybe I got really lucky. I had to retry boss 3 & 4 only once. Boss 4 is a bit tougher since he goes after you and can use his cheats to counter your cheats. Blackjack is basically a lost cause on 4 & 5 because of that. Slots is basically pure luck since I never actually got bars or 7s payouts when using the cheats. A mechanic to look out for on slots is that on spin 3 and 7, there will be an icon in the middle of the screen that appears. If you hit A before the boss, you can buy it and then add it to one of your rows to possibly make a match. I ended up stealing a 7 from boss 5 as he would have hit the jackpot otherwise, but another time, they stole a bar from me I could have used.

Video poker and regular poker are a bit easier to manipulate. If you can steal cards that will help you, they won't steal them back unless it would give them a really high payout (and it does seem like they get extra takes). Basically, they won't steal just to sabotage you, but you can do it to them up to a point.  On the draw poker round at the end, I think they used their joker on their first hand every time, so if your hand isn't great, hold on to it and keep bets low. then when you have anything I always tried to get them to bet max or raise to max bet. They often did that, even when they had high cards, so I won tons of hands with a simple pair and bankrupted them before their other counter hit zero, because they would bet 10,000+ on a king high instead of folding.  Hope that helps!

Separate question for the group: on Sports Illustrated for Kids Ultimate Triple Dare - was it determined you have to do the triathlon mode, or just do the 3 events separately? I think the hints on that were lost on the old forums. I don't think i'll be playing it this year, but I just picked up the cart so it made me curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floating Platforms said:

I have the scan for the Soccer Mania manual and it says that you're in a tournament against 5 teams: Japan, Brazil, England, West Germany, and France. To win the tournament, you must defeat all five teams. Once you have won the competition, you will have a chance to face your greatest challenge against the awesome mystery All-Star team."

It sounds like the game doesn't make it too obvious on the cart that there's a tournament aspect, but I guess there's an end game to shoot for.

@Splain For High Stakes, maybe I got really lucky. I had to retry boss 3 & 4 only once. Boss 4 is a bit tougher since he goes after you and can use his cheats to counter your cheats. Blackjack is basically a lost cause on 4 & 5 because of that. Slots is basically pure luck since I never actually got bars or 7s payouts when using the cheats. A mechanic to look out for on slots is that on spin 3 and 7, there will be an icon in the middle of the screen that appears. If you hit A before the boss, you can buy it and then add it to one of your rows to possibly make a match. I ended up stealing a 7 from boss 5 as he would have hit the jackpot otherwise, but another time, they stole a bar from me I could have used.

Video poker and regular poker are a bit easier to manipulate. If you can steal cards that will help you, they won't steal them back unless it would give them a really high payout (and it does seem like they get extra takes). Basically, they won't steal just to sabotage you, but you can do it to them up to a point.  On the draw poker round at the end, I think they used their joker on their first hand every time, so if your hand isn't great, hold on to it and keep bets low. then when you have anything I always tried to get them to bet max or raise to max bet. They often did that, even when they had high cards, so I won tons of hands with a simple pair and bankrupted them before their other counter hit zero, because they would bet 10,000+ on a king high instead of folding.  Hope that helps!

Separate question for the group: on Sports Illustrated for Kids Ultimate Triple Dare - was it determined you have to do the triathlon mode, or just do the 3 events separately? I think the hints on that were lost on the old forums. I don't think i'll be playing it this year, but I just picked up the cart so it made me curious.

When I did ultimate triple dud, it was just clearing all the events. Never did triathlon mode. Could need updating since Splain clearly demonstrates he had little concern for the"true" ending of that game 😄  

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, koifish said:

When I did ultimate triple dud, it was just clearing all the events. Never did triathlon mode. Could need updating since Splain clearly demonstrates he had little concern for the"true" ending of that game 😄  

I was about to make a comment that I haven't thrown my controller since I was 10, but then I remembered trying to beat Penguin Wars 40 stages legit and definitely did spike it out of frustration...

• Like 1

I got to stage 9-2 on Blaster Master Boy, only to lose it because I ran out of time in the day. When the game started, I thought the lanterns were quaint and comical (futuristic robot suit has infinite bombs and laser shots, but no flashlight?) but now I see that they are almost essential on the late levels where the whole map is dark. I ran out several worlds prior and was basically bumbling my way through the last several dark stages. I had a decent method, but 9-2 was an abysmal nightmare of invisible exploding enemies, spike fields, and maze-like corridors. I tried to painstakingly map out the darkness by using my 1 lantern to illuminate a space, then draw on paper as much as I could see, and simply repeat across countless game over/continue cycles (god bless infinite continues). In the end I was just too tired and the maze was getting to be too much (all the wine at dinner probably didn't help either :P)

It was painful, but I will have to redo the game another time. At least I have the experience for how to beat certain parts as well as the knowledge of the lanterns and their importance later on. The early dark maps are simple, so I now realize I don't need lanterns there. As such, I am going to hoard the hell out of those things for the late game.

The worst part is probably the world 6 boss. I still don't entirely know how I beat it. I just tried to outdamage it and somehow won. Hopefully I can do it again.

Going to play more of pyramids of ra instead I think.

Edited by koifish
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is done!

RlUOHJy.png

I really enjoyed my time with this one. There are a couple of varying styles of gameplay in here and it has a good sense of progression throughout. You're allowed to explore the various areas to find items and resources and after a while the enemies aren't usually too bad, unless you're facing the giant boar or something. What holds it back is the lack of saves or passwords, and that it's trying to be more complex than it is with this inventory system and item weights/agility and spots to equip armor that have no armor and there are some items, like the letters that were completely useless for me. The duels can be one simply by quickly hitting your attack button. You're supposed to keep your team alive and healed, but there's really no reason to if you keep Robin good.  The horse sections are there for a simple game over (you get 3 continues before needing to restart from scratch). Still, despite its faults, I enjoyed the playthrough quite a bit.

I don't think I'll enjoy my next game: Hyper Lode Runner.  It won the viewer raffle, so I'm stuck with it. Fingers crossed I have enough time to get it done by the end of the year.

10 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

I don't think I'll enjoy my next game: Hyper Lode Runner.  It won the viewer raffle, so I'm stuck with it. Fingers crossed I have enough time to get it done by the end of the year.

I can't confirm, but I feel like the puzzles here were made for people who already knew the game well. I think I was last stuck on 11, good luck anyway as it is a fun one, even if it is very tricky. You will want to give up, but stay strong and keep going.

Was checking out Alien 3, partially for clear and partially for the Halloween bingo. Does anybody have much experience with it to say if it's a long or short game, and if it is the kind of game that does invisible items on the ground? Trying to evaluate if the game will be doable in one weekend.

12 hours ago, koifish said:

Was checking out Alien 3, partially for clear and partially for the Halloween bingo. Does anybody have much experience with it to say if it's a long or short game, and if it is the kind of game that does invisible items on the ground? Trying to evaluate if the game will be doable in one weekend.

From what I've tracked, Alien3 has taken most runners about 5-7 hours of total playtime to beat.  I have the digital manual and it doesn't look like there are invisible items on the ground, but everything show as orbs. it says you have to stand over them, then access the menu and it will list what they are in the "see" section where you can then take them. Sounds like an overly complicated system. Then you press A to take it from there.

I logged about 3.5 hours in Hyper Lode Runner and only beat 4 levels. Got close on #5, but couldn't figure out how to keep those jerks away long enough to try things for the hardest gold pile. I hope I can learn a few tactics eventually, because even these first levels are rough and feel like they require advanced techniques or lightning fast timing.

13 hours ago, koifish said:

I can't confirm, but I feel like the puzzles here were made for people who already knew the game well. I think I was last stuck on 11, good luck anyway as it is a fun one, even if it is very tricky. You will want to give up, but stay strong and keep going.

Level 11 is where I bailed out too, earlier this year. The first 10 puzzles felt reasonable if difficult, but with 11, it was starting to get into "OK, this isn't about playing the game, but exploiting obscure mechanics in a semi-glitchy way" territory.

That annoys the hell out of me in puzzle games: I don't want to have to rely routinely on weird anomalies, I want to play the game's ruleset in a clear-cut way and have interesting gameplay emerge from that ruleset, not in spite of it.

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Level 11 is where I bailed out too, earlier this year. The first 10 puzzles felt reasonable if difficult, but with 11, it was starting to get into "OK, this isn't about playing the game, but exploiting obscure mechanics in a semi-glitchy way" territory.

That annoys the hell out of me in puzzle games: I don't want to have to rely routinely on weird anomalies, I want to play the game's ruleset in a clear-cut way and have interesting gameplay emerge from that ruleset, not in spite of it.

I would actually disagree on your assessment of the game. To the contrary, I feel that all of the puzzles up to that point are playing with your brain, teaching you new ways in which to view the landscape, and that 11 maintains that. Rather than breaking or ignoring the ruleset of the game, I feel it is just yet another evolution, one which the player must make for themselves. I don't think that I am there, but I think if one tries that they can get to that next level. I mean, there were already several puzzles before this that about made me want to give up and give in, and to look up a strategy guide, but I kept going and leveled up my abilities. I still think that will happen with level 11, just how I don't have any clue.