IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted
On 5/25/2021 at 11:55 AM, Floating Platforms said:

So, I have the day off from work and I was going through to upload some stream archives to my YouTube channel that needed editing.  Logging in to my email for that account, there was a comment on my Caesar's Palace video (that apparently is no longer there even though I didn't touch it) that reads:

I think there's a better ending than this, at least according to VGMaps.com. If you get $5,963,776 or more, you get the limo with a banner that says "NEW OWNER," implying that you now own Caesars Palace.

I checked the VGMaps site and there is definitely a graphic for this banner.  No idea if there's a way to tell if it exists in the final version or if it's an unused asset.  Has anyone else heard of this, perhaps on the NES side? Considering the "best ending" typically used is to get $140,000, this seems like an impossible feat for a game that has no saves.  When I was trying this on GB a couple years back, I couldn't get the roulette patterns found in the NES version to work, so I don't know if it can be cheesed at all.  Still, maybe something worth exploring more through emulation.

I've already started a game that I'm shamelessly state-scumming to see if there's something to this. Even cheating though, it's hard for me to keep my eyes open on this game. Give me a few days, lol. It would be painful to require that amount of money, so hopefully it's an unused asset.

17 hours ago, Splain said:

I've already started a game that I'm shamelessly state-scumming to see if there's something to this. Even cheating though, it's hard for me to keep my eyes open on this game. Give me a few days, lol. It would be painful to require that amount of money, so hopefully it's an unused asset.

Good luck!  I looked back at my time and it took me 40 minutes to do my winning run, so to get ~40x that in one sitting...yikes...

I tried to look up "banner ending" on youtube and didn't see anything, but I did see speedruns of the GB version and one mentioned that the result of the Wheel of fortune spin is based on the frame number.  If that's true for roulette as well to some degree, then I guess that makes sense as to why the NES sequencing doesn't work. Plus it seems to indicate that there might not be a way to form a reliable system.  There still may be a good wheel betting strategy that would keep the total rising steadily.

Editorials Team · Posted
17 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Good luck!  I looked back at my time and it took me 40 minutes to do my winning run, so to get ~40x that in one sitting...yikes...

I tried to look up "banner ending" on youtube and didn't see anything, but I did see speedruns of the GB version and one mentioned that the result of the Wheel of fortune spin is based on the frame number.  If that's true for roulette as well to some degree, then I guess that makes sense as to why the NES sequencing doesn't work. Plus it seems to indicate that there might not be a way to form a reliable system.  There still may be a good wheel betting strategy that would keep the total rising steadily.

I've been doing WoF, because you can see what's whizzing by on each spin, so you can pop back to the saved state if you can tell it's not going to land on the 40-to-1 number you bet on. Roulette doesn't show you that, and the max bets are lower. Good to hear about the frame number determining the outcome, because I've found myself in funks where it just doesn't land on either of the 40-to-1 slots no matter how many times I try. I'm probably repeating the same spins over and over. I wish I could bet my whole purse at once, that would make this a lot faster. Stupid max bets!

6 hours ago, Splain said:

I've been doing WoF, because you can see what's whizzing by on each spin, so you can pop back to the saved state if you can tell it's not going to land on the 40-to-1 number you bet on. Roulette doesn't show you that, and the max bets are lower. Good to hear about the frame number determining the outcome, because I've found myself in funks where it just doesn't land on either of the 40-to-1 slots no matter how many times I try. I'm probably repeating the same spins over and over. I wish I could bet my whole purse at once, that would make this a lot faster. Stupid max bets!

For sure. Probably the worst part of that game is the slow betting system. It couldn't have been too hard to have one button place one chip and the other do a max bet, right? Or at least speed up the animation and cursor movement.

On my end, I made some progress on Bart & the Beanstalk on Wednesday. It took me a while to learn the first couple levels and I still get mixed up on the second boss' pattern, but I think I know how to get through levels 1-4 of 6 without issue. There are no continues or extra lives, so you get 4 lives to do it all.  I'll probably get this done next week.

• Like 1

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends

NO SAVE/NO CONTINUE GAMES ARE BAD!!!!!!

so this 3 level game was by my accounts a throw the GB against the wall and let the cart burn type game.

the SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW jumps and the fast whatevers.  there was no easy way to beat on the first run.  i went through what was like 2000 games in like 2 hours.

the worst part i made to end with only one life and die at rack several time thinking i had to push Rocky out from under the spikes, only to realize you have to use Bullwinkle's horns to hit the spikes to win the game.

And the "rocky" toss you have to jump 40 yards to miss the short one and land and attack the tall one.  Needless to say Rocky always crashed.  This one is done.

the ending sequence is by far the best...  Smart ass narrator!!!! If you beat this one you will know it... 

Resized_20210531_130725_6284.thumb.jpeg.194078c636cbf3da377163042b95e841.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

If you beat this one you will know it... 

I had the pleasure of beating this one a couple years ago.  I honestly didn't mind learning the levels to get through it. What made it rougher for me is that there was a glitch that caused you to re-start the moon level if you die near the boss sometimes (not always).  The good thing about that game is that you can earn extra lives at least.

I almost got through another no save/no continue game tonight, but Bart & The Beanstalk is still pending. This one gives you 4 chances to get through 6 levels, and there is no opportunity for extra lives. Thankfully the levels are pretty short when you learn them, but it's still a bit of a slog.  I think I got really close to beating it tonight, but it throws some cheap BS at you in levels 5-6 that you have to memorize.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 102/497

The Simpsons: Bart & the Beanstalk is done!

breG20L.png

Well, this took a little bit longer than it probably should have. It took me several attempts to grasp the patterns of the bosses in the first two levels (the only bosses in the game), and then there are multiple BS spots where you will definitely die because the game expects you to do things you couldn't possibly know.  Level 5 & 6 were the worst for this. I lost a few lives at the very start of 5 because if you wait for the next platform to appear on the scrolling level, then you get crushed by the giant homer. If you jump too early, you fall to your death, so you have to learn the timing from experience. Level 6 scrolls as well and if you get caught on a ledge, you're dead instantly as well.  Kind of annoying.  However, I have a feeling that this could be the easiest Simpsons game overall and maybe the one with the best graphics. It would be great if there were chances for extra lives or continues, or passwords. It would be great if there were more than 2 songs. It was annoying, but could have been worse.

Next up for me is Mortal Kombat II. Started playing for a little bit tonight and, yeah, I still suck at fighting games. Couldn't get through the first 8 guys, so I haven't seen what hides behind the question mark in the tournament yet.  I'll power my way through likely next week.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 104/497
On 12/31/2020 at 8:41 PM, Splain said:

Aladdin

Another done.  the only thing that saved me on this one was the power supply and the ability to buy continues. (at the time i had no clue that was what i was buying)  also the late game slowdown and the fact you had to have perfect landings in the last stage. 

Resized_20210607_235756_3204.thumb.jpg.536beb06853fe3b01ea454b8a0512f69.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 106/497

Mortal Kombat II is done!

qu1P6Ix.png

I'm really bad at fighting games and didn't get a ton of time to play these past couple weeks, but finally managed to get through it.  I found that the key was to adjust my timing on upper cuts and let loose earlier than seems natural. Then for the final boss, I played around a bit and found that spamming my projectile non-stop kept him from charging and gave me the win. I'm very grateful there were no double battles.  Not thrilled about revisiting both of these games when I do the combo cart as part of my challenge sometime down the line.

Next up for me is "The Real Ghostbusters."  I've already gone through 15 levels and might get through the rest on Wednesday if the difficulty doesn't ramp up too much.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 108/497

Started playing Championship Pool; It's a really good Pool game! I just figured out the reason why no one has beaten it before, however; The second-to-last tournament opponent only allows you one mistake before you lose the game. Given how the game has progressed in difficulty, that probably means that in order to beat the champion, you have to play three perfect games in a row. Small wonder how nobody has managed to overcome that! Still, I think I'm ready to do it. See if I can get back to the semi-final tomorrow.

2 hours ago, koifish said:

See if I can get back to the semi-final tomorrow.

Good luck!  Is this for the first tournament or did you do speed pool to get to the final one?  I did some emulation practice and it is quite tough, even with save states.  There are 2 tournaments if you start off straight & the second one adds another opponent. But if you lose on the 2nd tourney, you go back to the first (I think....not 100% sure on that). Anyway, if you get a certain score on Speed Pool, you jump to the 2nd tournament and stay there as long as the system is on.

There's one guy I follow that did this for his GB challenge and he spent about 71 hours on it....

9 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Good luck!  Is this for the first tournament or did you do speed pool to get to the final one?  I did some emulation practice and it is quite tough, even with save states.  There are 2 tournaments if you start off straight & the second one adds another opponent. But if you lose on the 2nd tourney, you go back to the first (I think....not 100% sure on that). Anyway, if you get a certain score on Speed Pool, you jump to the 2nd tournament and stay there as long as the system is on.

There's one guy I follow that did this for his GB challenge and he spent about 71 hours on it....

Oh man, I didn't even know there were two tournaments! That's gonna be even more cruel. At least the shot planning feature is really robust, else it would be impossible!

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Who's that, out of curiosity? Always curious if there are people doing challenges that I don't know about.

This was Manicket, a Spanish language streamer. Don't remember how I learned about him, possibly from StingX2s spreadsheet of challengers.

2 hours ago, koifish said:

Oh man, I didn't even know there were two tournaments! That's gonna be even more cruel. At least the shot planning feature is really robust, else it would be impossible!

I think that's my biggest problem is that I didn't take time to look at different top spin and draw type shots. Just hitting it dead center is a bit of a random adventure since that cursor shows several different outcomes and even when all of the ghost previews go in the hole, you can still miss on occasion.  When I was doing the emulation, it did seem like the balls always wound up in the same position after the CPU misses, though.

• Wow! 1

The Real Ghostbusters is done!

yfQj3z8.png

This was pretty fun.  It has absolutely nothing to do with Ghostbusters, but what do you expect from a game that was reskinned from a Mickey Mouse game that was converted to Garfield for Europe and then Ghostbusters for her?  The Game boy screen did affect things a bit as there were a lot of times where you needed to guess the path because you can't see up or down enough.  Learning the path is key in later levels because the time limit is a problem and if you go the wrong way, you'll run out. I typically lost a life at least once in each level during the second half of the game because I had to figure out where to go, etc.  I also did not like the auto-death from running into a reappearing tiles.  There were several times when I thought it had reformed, but I died because I was a frame or two early.  Passwords after every level was great, but it got slightly obnoxious to replay some of those longer levels.  The end boss gave me a little hassle and the chat ended up helping on that, but this was a good time.

Next up for me is Sports Illustrated Golf Classic. Not sure what to expect, but hopefully it won't be too difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Judge Dredd is done!

this one has passwords but you have to find them.  i was not lucky enough to find one until the second to last level.  i guess that is the best time to find one.   the worst part was the god like abc warbots in the janus lab.  using the main gun was not effective, i ended up using every weapon i had ( get a rule book it will help with identification).  i had no clue what i was picking up.  Rico was easy if you are able to get to the sweet spot( at this point all i had was the main gun and 3 lives and a clamp to hold down the fire button (auto fire is a wonderful thing)  2 life and 35 or so minutes later the game was over.  in all it took about 10 hours of wondering and 6 or so restarts (really needed to find the diskettes for the passwords) one note have a power supply to plug in!!

Resized_20210620_233517_7315.thumb.jpeg.e4adc395526275b1d8f61d818439a558.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

This was Manicket, a Spanish language streamer. Don't remember how I learned about him, possibly from StingX2s spreadsheet of challengers.

Oh dear Lord, I had no idea there were so many! Granted many of the entries are the same person doing multiple systems, but still. StingX2's list has a ton that aren't on mine, and I have a few (mostly abandoned or completed projects) that aren't on his.

Edited by bronzeshield

Two games are off the board.  Sports Illustrated Golf Classic is done, I think!

tRI4HkD.png

Okay, so you'll have to tell me if this counts. I do want to revisit this at some point.  The game has three modes, 1P Practice, 2P Match and 2P Stroke. The 2P modes are not human vs. CPU, but human vs. human. I want to see if there is a possible ending in those later.  The 1P practice kicks you back to the title screen after finishing the last hole, but here's the weird part and why I'm not sure if it counts:

I did a full 18 hole round and got 7 over par. After each hole, it showed the overall score card.  After that experience (and partly because there's no way to quit mid-round without resetting the console), I went back to a password when I was still under par (the game gives you passwords after each hole) and worked to finish the round, resetting as needed and progressing with new passwords.  That method does not show the full score card anymore. It just moves to the next hole, so after I beat this hole 18 with par, giving me -2 as the final score, it went back to the title screen without showing my full round stats.  If we collectively think that we need par or better from the full 18 and score card showing, then I'll revisit it sooner than later.

One game I know is done is Tom & Jerry.

iSqUjP8.png

This took about an hour and half. I'm glad I had a copy of the manual to reference, because it tells you about the long jump from hitting A&B together. Without that, I would have been really annoyed. Instead it was just mildly obnoxious, but quick enough.  It wasn't too hard to get through any particular level, but you do have to navigate through a bunch of BS and guaranteed hits if you don't know the level.  The sprites are really good. The music is solid and you get the T&J theme, so it was a decent time. You get passwords after levels 3, 6, 9, and there are only 10 levels, so it took 90 minutes to knock this out.

Next for me will be Tetris Plus.  Doubt I'll get that done in a single day.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Judge Dredd is done!

this one has passwords but you have to find them.

That sounds interesting.  Rewarding you for exploring the level with a password in an in-game collectable. I'm honestly a little surprised that's not more common.

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Oh dear Lord, I had no idea there were so many! Granted many of the entries are the same person doing multiple systems, but still.

Oh yeah, I don't track the mulit-system GB guys like BPN or RetroBladen yet.  When they eventually handle more than a handful, I'll add them to my time tracking list.  I keep going back and forth about whether I should submit my name, but I keep thinking that I don't want to ask to be part of that streaming community when I know I can't devote hardly any time to watching theirs or interacting back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Floating Platforms said:

Oh yeah, I don't track the mulit-system GB guys like BPN or RetroBladen yet.  When they eventually handle more than a handful, I'll add them to my time tracking list.  I keep going back and forth about whether I should submit my name, but I keep thinking that I don't want to ask to be part of that streaming community when I know I can't devote hardly any time to watching theirs or interacting back.

Oh, you should definitely submit your name. You're already contributing to the world by doing what you do -- the more people that know about your project, the better! Those of us who don't stream, our contribution is watching what we can (and honestly I pretty much only follow 1-2 streamers at this point).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Two games are off the board.  Sports Illustrated Golf Classic is done,

SI Golf has the get par or better on every hole in 1 player mode.

as for the passwords only works for holes after the last hole all scores are lost.

i have been working to get the par or better for a few days i can get to hole 7 with 3 under then on the 8 hole it all goes to crap.  its like the wind gets harder at lease on the country oaks course.

• Thanks 1