IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 81/497
Editorials Team · Posted

@imabadguy1 nice clears! That's funny about Battletoads only being beatable on GBC; there are other games that show graphical glitches when played on GBC, and one that's not playable at all, so there's likely a very real difference in how the game runs on GBC. I should try it out myself and see if I notice the difference.

I've been playing Mega Man 1 and Spiderman. I keep dying on both. But I'm still playing them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Splain said:

@imabadguy1 nice clears! That's funny about Battletoads only being beatable on GBC; there are other games that show graphical glitches when played on GBC, and one that's not playable at all, so there's likely a very real difference in how the game runs on GBC. I should try it out myself and see if I notice the difference.

I've been playing Mega Man 1 and Spiderman. I keep dying on both. But I'm still playing them.

Yeye mm1 gb is a pain sometimes so good luck on that one

• Like 1

Started Final Fantasy Legend tonight and I'm pretty sure I got through what would be considered the "prologue." No idea how much is left.  I died quite a lot, though.  I'll have to read through the manual again, since I basically only skimmed it before starting to make sure I know everything about leveling and items, then I'll decide if I should devote some time to grinding for cash to buy the human upgrades.  I'm going to do my best to avoid any guides though. The biggest concern is the one save file system. Part of why I've died so much is that I decided to sacrifice my crew to explore farther than I probably should have. Hope to be done by the end of the month, I guess?

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

Started Final Fantasy Legend tonight and I'm pretty sure I got through what would be considered the "prologue." No idea how much is left.  I died quite a lot, though.  I'll have to read through the manual again, since I basically only skimmed it before starting to make sure I know everything about leveling and items, then I'll decide if I should devote some time to grinding for cash to buy the human upgrades.  I'm going to do my best to avoid any guides though. The biggest concern is the one save file system. Part of why I've died so much is that I decided to sacrifice my crew to explore farther than I probably should have. Hope to be done by the end of the month, I guess?

Best of luck. It's a great game. When I played it, I got to the point where I was about to either put it down or use a guide. You'll do better than I did though.

On 3/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, Floating Platforms said:

Fun game, definitely my pick for RPG on GB. The series and the creator both are famous (or infamous in some circles) for making obtuse and confusing games. Part of his design mantra is building games which are too byzantine or too random to be (easily) picked apart by powergamers. The notion is, if your game can be easily solved and broken, then you aren't going doing a good job of making a virtual world, you are just making a numbers engine for dedicated players to control and operate. RPGs should be unexpected and serendipitous like in real life. It's a bold intention with some interesting results, but it does also make for some confusing and sometimes frustrating games. Don't be frustrated, the game is unusual but is not too long, and you'll start to figure things out as you go. Don't be afraid to wipe teams (as you already are) or to even restart the game. It's more about learning how the systems work, and from there you should be able to find a path forward.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:00 AM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just beat Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge. The Game Boy Castlevanias are really growing on me.

Castlevania Adventure II Switch.jpg

The soundtracks to 1 and 2 both are great. I wish Adventure was more popular so people would do remixes and such of more than Battle of the Holy, but it seems most folks emulate it, see the movement speed and whip power-down on hit, and assert that any more of the game is not worth their time.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:13 PM, imabadguy1 said:

I beat Ducktales 2 on difficult with bad ending, Kirby Star Stacker all rounds every difficulty and Battletoads (I can only beat Battletoads gb on gbc for some odd reason. For the life of me I can't make those tight lefts and rights in the jetpack stage on gba).

20210306_104109.jpg

20210306_104213.jpg

20210306_110953.jpg

I don't know if I'm more impressed by battletoads or by the stamina required for Kirby star stacker. I tried beating that game once a few years back and was astounded  by how many levels you had to beat. It is never-ending! How long did it take you in the end?

I'm swimming along now in Zelda, the 4th key is mine and I have a pineapple. I forgot how much of this game worked, and as I rediscover it, I really am amazed at how well the various types of "zelda-like" gameplay tie together in this game. The dungeons are well-made and the bosses are cool, but the world has good characters that make an impression, and the overworld has great design to feel massive in addition to opening up constantly as you gain new powers. The trading game and other character-driven events being tied into the main progression makes it even better to me, as it keeps you engaged with characters while it also has you still doing the usual Zelda thing of exploring and discovering new things. I think it is still my choice for best Zelda, besides maybe the two NES games or Link Between Worlds. My only complaint now is that I have too many rupees and nothing to buy with them. As it turns out, playing the game optimally will give you plenty enough rupees to buy the now just through normal collecting. Now I have max rupees and little reason to search out more, beyond for my own mapping information.

Edited by koifish
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 82/497
Editorials Team · Posted

I went through Star Stacker a few years ago. It's a fun-enough game, but the skills I used to clear the early levels are the same ones I use to clear the later "insane" levels. I don't know if there's any real advanced strategy to be learned, but it's definitely not needed. Just keep doing the same things over and over and then you win. But it really does start to take a lot of time at the end there, it just became a matter of routine for me, I'd turn it on every day and beat a level before work and another one after work. That way I never really got burned out, and it was funny to see just how many levels there were going to be. They just kept coming. Good thing there's a battery in the cart, I never would have gotten through it if it needed to be done all at once, or even if I had to punch in a password every time.

4 hours ago, koifish said:

I don't know if I'm more impressed by battletoads or by the stamina required for Kirby star stacker. I tried beating that game once a few years back and was astounded  by how many levels you had to beat. It is never-ending! How long did it take you in the end?

I'm swimming along now in Zelda, the 4th key is mine and I have a pineapple. I forgot how much of this game worked, and as I rediscover it, I really am amazed at how well the various types of "zelda-like" gameplay tie together in this game. The dungeons are well-made and the bosses are cool, but the world has good characters that make an impression, and the overworld has great design to feel massive in addition to opening up constantly as you gain new powers. The trading game and other character-driven events being tied into the main progression makes it even better to me, as it keeps you engaged with characters while it also has you still doing the usual Zelda thing of exploring and discovering new things. I think it is still my choice for best Zelda, besides maybe the two NES games or Link Between Worlds. My only complaint now is that I have too many rupees and nothing to buy with them. As it turns out, playing the game optimally will give you plenty enough rupees to buy the now just through normal collecting. Now I have max rupees and little reason to search out more, beyond for my own mapping information.

Took me 3 days to beat it 100%, I thought you had to fully beat the game so I got everything and now on the title screen, Kirby has a crown! There's also a 100% border on super gameboy.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, imabadguy1 said:

Took me 3 days to beat it 100%, I thought you had to fully beat the game so I got everything and now on the title screen, Kirby has a crown! There's also a 100% border on super gameboy.

Oh awesome, I didn't know it unlocked Super Game Boy content.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, koifish said:

Fun game, definitely my pick for RPG on GB. The series and the creator both are famous (or infamous in some circles) for making obtuse and confusing games. Part of his design mantra is building games which are too byzantine or too random to be (easily) picked apart by powergamers. The notion is, if your game can be easily solved and broken, then you aren't going doing a good job of making a virtual world, you are just making a numbers engine for dedicated players to control and operate. RPGs should be unexpected and serendipitous like in real life. It's a bold intention with some interesting results, but it does also make for some confusing and sometimes frustrating games. Don't be frustrated, the game is unusual but is not too long, and you'll start to figure things out as you go. Don't be afraid to wipe teams (as you already are) or to even restart the game. It's more about learning how the systems work, and from there you should be able to find a path forward.

I think I'm about halfway done right now, 7 hours in. For those that know the game, I'm in the clouds and might have skipped a little bit because I was exploring a town with a character I just revived and then entered a pub and got into a fight before healing them and then there were other battles and things I had to do before searching for another town and INN...frantic way to end last night.  Anyway, the game isn't bad at all, but I'm RPG-averse to begin with.  My frustrations have more to do with the random encounters and trying to take even one step after a battle and getting caught in another.  My completionist attitude wants to explore everything but the anti-RPG side wants to hunt for the next area and get it done.  I like several of the mechanics, but I get really bored with the turn-based encounters, backtracking to level up at towns, etc.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Not quite done with Mega Man. Boyyyyyyy do they stretch you thin after you've beaten the first 4 levels. You get a password after each one, which I thought was great; it allows you to experiment and see what your new weapons are capable of, and what boss might be weak to it. But there are no more passwords for the rest of the game. You have to make it through a castle level (where there are a lot of "gotcha" situations that you have to learn from after dying), then beat 4 more bosses in any order, (and get some more weapons, so I guess that's good) then do another castle level (tons of gotchas), then face Wily himself.

That's fine and everything, I should be grateful for the passwords at the beginning I guess, but experimentation is harshly punished, yet very necessary when you have so many different weapons. It's one of those games that gets fun only when you know what you're doing. Even just one more password somewhere in the late game would make a huge difference. But obviously Capcom made it the way they did, and it sold a million copies. Soooo, off I go to Git Gud.

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2021 at 2:02 PM, imabadguy1 said:

20210309_110153.jpg

Wow, that border is awesome! I wonder if, by using an emulator, you can get this as a regular border.

Come to think of it, are there "dumps" or full-res images of all of the borders of every SGB game? The bgb emulator supports custom borders using transparent .png files, and can emulate the borders when playing GB games. I would love to see the borders all dumped so you could use any game's borders for any other title.

Edited by koifish
expanded original comment
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Splain said:

Not quite done with Mega Man. Boyyyyyyy do they stretch you thin after you've beaten the first 4 levels. You get a password after each one, which I thought was great; it allows you to experiment and see what your new weapons are capable of, and what boss might be weak to it. But there are no more passwords for the rest of the game. You have to make it through a castle level (where there are a lot of "gotcha" situations that you have to learn from after dying), then beat 4 more bosses in any order, (and get some more weapons, so I guess that's good) then do another castle level (tons of gotchas), then face Wily himself.

That's fine and everything, I should be grateful for the passwords at the beginning I guess, but experimentation is harshly punished, yet very necessary when you have so many different weapons. It's one of those games that gets fun only when you know what you're doing. Even just one more password somewhere in the late game would make a huge difference. But obviously Capcom made it the way they did, and it sold a million copies. Soooo, off I go to Git Gud.

They didn't want you to be angry about spending 30 bucks on a new game, just to finish it in a couple hours. Please understand 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 12:39 PM, Splain said:

I grew up with Wily Revenge and goddamn that game is fucked. I wish you luck on the Wily stages, the bane of my childhood existence lol.

4 hours ago, koifish said:

Wow, that border is awesome! I wonder if, by using an emulator, you can get this as a regular border.

Come to think of it, are there "dumps" or full-res images of all of the borders of every SGB game? The bgb emulator supports custom borders using transparent .png files, and can emulate the borders when playing GB games. I would love to see the borders all dumped so you could use any game's borders for any other title.

You'd have to do some things to get it though:

-Beat every round clear

-Get 1000 points in challenge mode 

-Get 100 points in time attack mode 

That's the only way to get that border to show up and to get the alternate title screen.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, imabadguy1 said:

You'd have to do some things to get it though:

-Beat every round clear

-Get 1000 points in challenge mode 

-Get 100 points in time attack mode 

That's the only way to get that border to show up and to get the alternate title screen.

Ideally, we'd be able to identify the border within the ROM code and extract it (and all others from other games) without needing to do anything in-game.

I came really close to beating Mega Man. It's awesome that there are so many weapons, but when you run out of the one thing that can beat the final boss (the reflector one) then it's suddenly NOT awesome. I haven't found (and nobody else on the internet has seemingly found) anything else that can cause damage to the final-final boss. And dying doesn't refill your ammo, so if you don't have enough to beat Wily at the beginning of the fight, then it's allllll the way back to the first castle stage for you. It doesn't matter how much health, or how many lives you have when you reach the boss, it's about using your one and only tank of ammo to beat him. There's so much work to do, just to get a chance to figure out what the boss is weak to. The only other MM game I'm familiar with is Mega Man X, and that one had a decent-sized final section, but it was nothing like this.

Look at me, complaining about a Mega Man game being hard! What a baby!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Splain said:

Ideally, we'd be able to identify the border within the ROM code and extract it (and all others from other games) without needing to do anything in-game.

I came really close to beating Mega Man. It's awesome that there are so many weapons, but when you run out of the one thing that can beat the final boss (the reflector one) then it's suddenly NOT awesome. I haven't found (and nobody else on the internet has seemingly found) anything else that can cause damage to the final-final boss. And dying doesn't refill your ammo, so if you don't have enough to beat Wily at the beginning of the fight, then it's allllll the way back to the first castle stage for you. It doesn't matter how much health, or how many lives you have when you reach the boss, it's about using your one and only tank of ammo to beat him. There's so much work to do, just to get a chance to figure out what the boss is weak to. The only other MM game I'm familiar with is Mega Man X, and that one had a decent-sized final section, but it was nothing like this.

Look at me, complaining about a Mega Man game being hard! What a baby!

Welcome to my world, that was my problem as a kid. The dumbass wily machine that's weak to the mirror buster in the 2nd form. Wily Revenge is super rough so yeah.

I just beat Mega Man and Bass yesterday with both characters and that game is so awful. When you have to stop to kill damage sponge enemies and go through annoying trial and error that isn't satisfying like the nes games, god damn. People like to shit on mm7 for being a bit slower but at least 7 is actually fun and doesn't have bullshit like the king bosses and stages ALSO DYNAMO MAN REFILLING HIS HEALTH MID BATTLE. I can go on and on about every flaw mm and b has but that'd be a small essay so I'll just do a 1 sentence summary. It's a fuckin pile of shit, it tricks you with its eye candy stages and good music then kicks you in the nutsack with its terrible level design. 

We're whining about the bad mega man games so I think we're justified.

Edited by imabadguy1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Splain said:

There. It's really not a bad game, but it has shortcomings. I really don't know how I'm going to feel about it in the future, whether I'll want to pop it in again in a year, or pass forever.

Congratulations! You're one step closer to becoming a Mega Man master!  This one is actually my milestone game #100, so there's a small chance I'll join you in beating it for the first time this year.  If you do go for the other titles, they are supposed to be easier, right?

I made more progress on FFL and got sphere #3 and a good chunk of the story done in the next chapter.  I do fear I'm getting severely overmatched and the items in the shop are obscenely expensive.  The next time I play, I might do a bit of grinding to get a couple of okay weapons and stock up on health stuff a bit more.  Most of my guys feel under-leveled and I've been spending a chunk of time exploring the various areas and running from encounters until I die just so I can streamline the "real" run.  If there's no chapter 5, then I'll probably be done the next time I play. If there is, then I'm hoping for two more sessions.