IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

20 hours ago, Splain said:

Nice job @John198X! I tried so many times to get through that last stage in Batman but never did it. We played that one earlier in the year for Game of the Month on the r/gameboy subreddit. The consensus was that it's all about the weapon you use, and the best one to use isn't collectable in that level; you have to bring it from a previous one.

I just banged my head against it during a long, uneventful shift at work, figuring out and memorizing a path across many, many attempts to make it to the end of the stage before getting worn down by the ridiculous amount of gun turrets. It doesn't help that I'd be doing really well only to miss a simple jump and fall to my death... like alot. Batman's jump is weird, like it's almost always shorter or longer than you expect. 😆

Edited by John198X

I've been off dealing with conventions and conferences and whatnot for the past 2 months, but I'm finally back to playing again.  Hopefully, I'll get Star Wars done at some point over the next 7 days. I do have some days off around the Labor Day weekend that will go towards playing.

We may be lower than usual, but it's great to see people are still keeping it alive.  Overall, I'm hoping to be good for another 10-15 more games this year still. It will be tough, but fingers crossed.

Was able to beat Star Wars earlier than I thought.

m7elo0A.png

Several of the levels are somewhat maze like and require some exploring and trial and error to get through them, especially Tatooine. After spending a couple hours looking through most of the caves, I learned what to avoid on the next run. I think the only reason I didn't get 100% is that I didn't max out the ship shields.  Overall, I liked what the game was trying to do, but the execution was bad. There are too many blind jumps, too many jumps that lead to enemies you can't avoid. Enemies will push you or if you land on top of them, kill you instantly (why?). The Lightsaber is garbage. It has a wind-up and I swear the Tusken Raiders are pure chance as to whether you'll hit them, as are the rest. The whole game was cheap and too long and I somehow barely beat it on my last continue and second to last life.

Next up, I'll be trying to tackle Krusty's Fun House by viewer request. Already scared of that one.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 129/497

Alright, I'm about 10 hours into Krusty's Fun House so far. I've completed 3 of 5 worlds and have explored more than half of world 4.  So far, it doesn't seem too incredibly bad, but I've already learned that this game can through some serious B.S. at you, so the stages I haven't seen yet could cause a ton of trouble. I'm enjoying the puzzle solving aspect of the levels. I don't enjoy the controls or the fact that enemies and fall damage can really halt progress.  Fingers crossed I'll be able to get done with this in a couple weeks or so.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

World 4 of Krusty is done.  I've only explored a few levels in world 5 and it's significantly more difficult so far.  I have a general idea on how to beat most of the ones I've looked at, but there's one that has me totally stumped.  It seems this last world relies a lot on invisible platforms and fake walls that are found only through trial and error.  I'm  still hopeful that I'll be able to beat it next week sometime.

• Like 1

Hey Hey! Krusty's Fun House is done!

Q1cZcac.png

Took close to 20 hours total, but I got through all 5 worlds.  The first two weren't a problem. The 3rd level gave me troubles as there were a lot of enemies, especially in the very last level and the ammo boxes don't come back when you die (and your default ammo isn't refilled). The 4th level had a lot of hidden platforms to deal with. The 5th level had the hardest puzzles, but I was finally able to persevere. It felt good to reach this end screen with Krusty driving what should have been a Canyonero (I know the game came first). As a kid, I never would have thought I'd get through the whole thing. Overall it was quite a lot of fun, but artificially difficult due to the enemies and fall damage and the ammo/health not re-populating after losing. The puzzles were more than interesting enough to make the game worthwhile without having to deal with obstacles and chores like that.

Anyway, next up for me will be Mulan, but I might not start until next week at the earliest.

• Like 1

I beat Bionic Commando last week. Game was quite fun, although a lot harder than the NES version with the grappling. I'd surprised to say it's probably a better game overall.

Also beat two Japanese games, Ikari no Yousai 2 (sequel to Fortified Zone) and Ninja Spirit.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 131/497
Events Helper · Posted

slowly working on mario's picross since it isn't marked off the list, figured i would just let you all know.  I am doing them at work so it is slow going.  But if it isn't done when i finish it i will put it up here 😉  Love that game, just got a cib copy this year.  

Mulan is done!

YTQckF0.png

I went ahead and beat it on hard mode since the only options were that or the default easy. This reminded me a lot of Hercules in that you get one life, but have passwords after each level. The controls are also that same type of stiffness that comes from prioritizing character sprites over fluid movement. The levels had some variation, which was good and I got temporarily stuck on a few, and really stuck on the last level as I tried all kinds of things to beat the final/only boss. The music was good and the SGB color choices worked well, too.  I wasn't a fan of using the same button for run and attack and found myself hitting the wrong button way too often. Still the game was decent enough, especially for a movie tie-in.

My next game is going to be Balloon Kid which I plan to play and beat tomorrow.

• Like 1

Balloon Kid is now done!

gKZ4A3X.png

The game was actually quite a bit harder than I was expecting and the later levels took some practice and a tiny bit of trial and error in certain spots.  The last level is kind of brutal and long. The game does offer a lot of extra lives, and continues at every 50,000 pts, but it still wasn't enough for me.  Part of it is that I'm terrible at momentum based gameplay like this. The other part was that there were several parts where it was better to abandon your balloons and jump (which was not expected). Blowing up new balloons was not very consistent and I really didn't like the pinball effect of some of the enemies. Still, it was a pretty fun time once I got past some of those frustrations.  The best part was seeing the mini Game Boys that are tucked away where you can try to pop balloons for a chance at an extra life. Seeing the GB model in-game was so cool when I was a kid and still gives that nostalgia trip today.

Next up for me is Tamagotchi.  I've played a little tonight and I'm happy that it does not require a real time clock monitoring system. You can pick up and play.  On the surface it seems super simple, but I've already accidentally killed 2 of them and I really don't fully know how.  I know the goal is to beat one tournament, but I'll try to get all 3 done just to see all the game has to offer.  No idea how long it will take though since I don't have an adult yet after 2 hours.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 135/497

Finished two games tonight.  Tamagotchi is done

NceBOpF.png

I beat all three tournaments and then retired the two that won it for me.  On the screenshot above, the right side are the two that died early on. The left are the ones I rocketed back home to put them in the Hall of Fame. Fltpt2 won the race (shoe print icon), and Chiank (shortened version of the username for the person that voted for the game on my channel) won the Knowledge (circle) and Beauty (star). I tried winning Beauty with a third character but they lost all 3 tries.

Here's what I learned for anyone wanting to try this. Never give your creatures the cake or ice cream. To fill up the fun meter, only do the smile game over and over. You can mash A to make it go faster. Every once in a while, when they pass the sports or math game, give them praise (especially if they get perfect in math). In the math game, you can press the direction of the answer but they won't always listen.  The sports game is total BS and full of garbage hit detection. Stay in the center the best you can. To get the balls on the edges, you need to be already facing in that direction when in the center, otherwise you won't have time to catch it. You can't catch things that are 2 steps away otherwise either.

The manual says very little about tournaments - just that they exist. You can only try one tournament per day per Tamagotchi and in-game days are 45 min-1 hour.  I have no idea how the beauty one works at all still. I guess just keep trying? Keep your deed and fun meter full - it probably helps. Knowledge looks at the IQ meter so keep that full and make sure they get perfect in the math game a couple times before sending them in. It still took me 3 tries.  The race will look at body, so try to max that out.  On the sports/ball game, when trying the highest difficulty and back out using B if you know you'll lose.  The race has two parts and took me 2 tries. If maxed out on body, I held left for the first race and then mashed A on the second and I think that helped?

The game is interesting, but needed more depth. It was simply a chore most of the time. Glad I don't have to touch it again.

I also beat Chessmaster

rdWDAFE.png

I looked to see if there were different difficulty settings, but I didn't notice any, so this was won on default settings. I am not good at chess at all, but at least know what the pieces do.  Despite my making several moves that allowed pawns to capture my higher value pieces, I was still able to manage the win using my remaining knight and queen. The presentation is very bare bones and there's no music. The sparse voice samples are cool to hear on Game Boy, but it needed more to keep me awake. Maybe New Chessmaster will be better?

Tomorrow I'll be starting Toxic Crusaders on my cartridge that is appropriately slightly warped/melted (but still playable).

• Like 4

Atomic Punk  done

Boxxle  done

Review Atomic Punk.  trick play out of order get the walk through wall first then work the rest. the cost is reasonable if your quick. 

Resized_20211019_142258_7588.jpg.ec7e8fb735395b27d6df99c278e22eb5.jpg

Review Boxxle.  after taking 10 months working on this one off and on pushing boxes around and 2 flights to Singapore made it possible to finish the final 20 stages. trick get the codes after every stage.  it has very lack luster ending.

Resized_20210928_145828_1704.jpg.bbcac1dfa907c1757db05b3ecc81f2e5.jpg

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

I also beat Chessmaster

rdWDAFE.png

I looked to see if there were different difficulty settings, but I didn't notice any, so this was won on default settings.

There are definitely higher difficulty settings -- 13 of them, according to my notes -- but they're based on thinking time so their nature might not be obvious. I don't remember how to access them, but IIRC the menu is split between two screens, so that might be the issue.

Chessmaster puts up a pretty tough fight on anything but the defaults. It's a good thing most "library challenge" players play on defaults, as it'd take quite a lot of practice to beat the highest difficulty. 🙂 I've done it, but I'm a former tournament chess player (and constant blitz player online), so...

Oh, and also, the game likes to crash on higher difficulty levels. 😄 When I beat Level 13, it crashed twice (and made an illegal move once!) and I had to reload from a save, or set the position up again, or something like that. I have an animated GIF of the game, actually:

RH19SZZ.gif.b6241eef3505cf717033e5f0359eacfd.gif

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 3

7 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

There are definitely higher difficulty settings -- 13 of them, according to my notes -- but they're based on thinking time so their nature might not be obvious. I don't remember how to access them, but IIRC the menu is split between two screens, so that might be the issue.

That's fascinating. I've never really played much chess. I was more of a checkers guy, if we're talking the ancient classics. I read the manual before playing and it mentioned the difficulty settings, but I didn't see them in the menu.  I played around a bit on emulator and found it by hitting select twice.  If I need to do something different for this challenge, then I'll go back before the end of the year. Otherwise, I'll put it on my list to revisit at a higher level in the future!

What are the differences between that and New Chessmaster, if you've played both?

In other news, Toxic Crusaders is done already. Got it done in just under 3 hours.

PrkHr3y.png

It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.  I enjoyed the graphics and sprites. The cutscenes looked nice and I think they matched the humor and style of the cartoon series. The main enemy didn't change across all 6 stages, but there were a couple supporting enemies that were different. Overall the level design was quite repetitive and predictable. Take a step or two, stop and shoot and repeat. The bosses had some variety and posed a moderate challenge. It certainly wasn't the worst thing I've played, but it wasn't the greatest either. Solidly above average.

Next up I'll be playing Bubble Bobble and going for the best ending, which I think requires playing through it twice. If my research is correct, you get a password or something after beating it the first time to get the "second quest" that leads to a different ending screen.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

That's fascinating. I've never really played much chess. I was more of a checkers guy, if we're talking the ancient classics. I read the manual before playing and it mentioned the difficulty settings, but I didn't see them in the menu.  I played around a bit on emulator and found it by hitting select twice.  If I need to do something different for this challenge, then I'll go back before the end of the year. Otherwise, I'll put it on my list to revisit at a higher level in the future!

What are the differences between that and New Chessmaster, if you've played both?

I actually put something about pressing Select to get to the difficulty in my original draft of my post, but deleted it since I wasn't sure. 🙂 Glad to see memory serves!

I have some scattered notes about Chessmaster vs. New Chessmaster, e.g.:

"FWIW the original release of Chessmaster on the Game Boy was super-glitchy -- a recurring problem with the portable editions of the franchise, I guess. The New Chessmaster was better, but neither version had a victory splash screen. "

"Chessmaster: The engine is fairly strong, but too deterministic, which means it can easily be led into the same lines (and traps) over and over again. Also, maybe it's just my copy, but the game seems buggy as hell -- I saw multiple crashes, and at least two illegal moves (!) from the CPU."

"New Chessmaster: Very similar to the "old" Chessmaster, but without the crash problems, and the algorithm has clearly been tweaked a little. Always playing the Black pieces, I beat every fourth difficulty level, i.e. Levels 1, 5, 9, and 13 (the game's highest). But I wouldn't have pulled off the last victory if the CPU hadn't mysteriously committed suicide, breaking a deadlocked drawn position wide open to my advantage. [...] An actual congratulatory ending screen would be nice; even the NES version has that."

I can't imagine you need to beat it on a higher level -- we don't generally require that with Chessmaster games. There's a hint of an issue there since some ports tell you "Congratulations - now try a higher difficulty level!" or the equivalent, but the NES port keeps giving you the same screen even if you beat Infinite difficulty!

• Thanks 1

Awesome. Thanks, @bronzeshield! So basically New Chessmaster is the same but with a couple patches applied. No new players rosters or anything.... In all seriousness, it would be interesting if they added a tournament mode or something.

So, in terms of the challenge, I beat Bubble Bobble tonight.  That last boss was a huge pain and probably took close to an hour on its own. Generally the game didn't give me much trouble except for lvl 75 (boss 3), lvl 99 and 100.  I'm not posting a picture yet as I will do that after I finish the second quest. I'm through level 29 on that run so far. The first boss was noticeably different, so I'm worried what the real last fight will be like.  I'll likely get that done on Monday.  I have next week off from work, and I plan to get a decent amount of playtime logged.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:05 PM, Jeevan said:

I, uh, did a thing......if someone else was claiming it, then by all means take it, but i finished it for my backlog!

VmC44Q8.jpg

lol, I figured this would happen. Been dealing with a cross-country move for over 2 months so I wasn't playing. I've still got my save file on Eagle Tower, guess I'll have to do it again next year...eh, at least I took notes and know where everything is 😛

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, koifish said:

lol, I figured this would happen. Been dealing with a cross-country move for over 2 months so I wasn't playing. I've still got my save file on Eagle Tower, guess I'll have to do it again next year...eh, at least I took notes and know where everything is 😛

oops, sorry, I was just playing for fun!

I almost beat Baseball but then my batteries died. Shouldn't be hard to do over. Amazing how easy the game is compared to some GB baseball titles. It does the job and is fun to play, but the computer player makes some head-scratching decisions and isn't very hard to defeat. All you really have to do is get on base once, and then you can steal bases really easily. Also, sometimes they won't even respond to a second runner correctly, which is something I've seen in other GB baseball games too, such as Bases Loaded. The AI will focus on whichever runner is most ahead and try to just get them out, and let you get away with stolen bases for free on a second, less advanced runner (ie. a free 1st to 2nd base advance).

Wouldn't be surprised if Baseball was simply a product of being a launch title. Like I said, it's good enough but I don't think it is better than some of the other really fun GB baseball games out there.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 142/497

I don't see anyone playing it, so I'm playing through Pyramids of Ra right now. It's not bad, sort of relaxing. I'm waiting for the moment to come that it gets really damn hard or something.

Also @Splain it has been almost a year but I just noticed, there are a few games, such as NBA Jam TE, where they have been cleared and the points reflect it, but the name is still bold. Thought I'd let you know 🙂