IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Oh, you should definitely submit your name. You're already contributing to the world by doing what you do -- the more people that know about your project, the better! Those of us who don't stream, our contribution is watching what we can (and honestly I pretty much only follow 1-2 streamers at this point).

I might do it sometime later. My other thought is that I'm so inconsistent with streaming that I'd go inactive often. I think I have 1 or 2 weeks left before a bunch of life stuff is going to intervene again making playing time minimal until mid-September.

10 hours ago, JVOSS said:

SI Golf has the get par or better on every hole in 1 player mode.

as for the passwords only works for holes after the last hole all scores are lost.

i have been working to get the par or better for a few days i can get to hole 7 with 3 under then on the 8 hole it all goes to crap.  its like the wind gets harder at lease on the country oaks course.

Ah, I think I misinterpreted the requirement then. I though Par or better on the full course meant to end that way rather than get par or better on each hole.  I think I also might have missed it if you mentioned that you were working on it, as I would have picked a different golf game instead to avoid overlap.

Well, since you are actively trying for the true goal, I will wait to revisit this for my personal challenge until at least next year and keep plugging away at my queue.

35 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

I might do it sometime later. My other thought is that I'm so inconsistent with streaming that I'd go inactive often. I think I have 1 or 2 weeks left before a bunch of life stuff is going to intervene again making playing time minimal until mid-September.

Ah, I think I misinterpreted the requirement then. I though Par or better on the full course meant to end that way rather than get par or better on each hole.  I think I also might have missed it if you mentioned that you were working on it, as I would have picked a different golf game instead to avoid overlap.

Well, since you are actively trying for the true goal, I will wait to revisit this for my personal challenge until at least next year and keep plugging away at my queue.

lol, this is a challenge and to me the first person gets it done then its cool. did not realize i need to say what game i was working on so i was in the wrong.  @Floating Platformsgo for any game you want,  i really want to see all the games beat. 

i don't have "dibs" on any game just dibs on being the high score at the end of the year. 🙂 

7 hours ago, JVOSS said:

lol, this is a challenge and to me the first person gets it done then its cool. did not realize i need to say what game i was working on so i was in the wrong.  @Floating Platformsgo for any game you want,  i really want to see all the games beat. 

i don't have "dibs" on any game just dibs on being the high score at the end of the year. 🙂 

No, I'm not trying to blame or say you're in the wrong. Of course this is a challenge (a community one), and no one has dibs. I was only trying to say that I'm happy to avoid playing games if I know that others are actively playing them. I wasn't sure if you had mentioned it and I missed it, so I was apologizing if I had. Not trying to insinuate that you had to announce it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I know nothing about SI Golf, so I just put the requirement there as sort of a "I don't know what else to put here" since there's no 1-player mode outside of "practice." In my mind at the time, what @Floating Platforms did would count as beating it, even using passwords in that way. So I went ahead and marked it beaten. But if there's any sort of ending when you do it all in one go, then I suppose that would supersede FP's run.

I haven't been plugging away at Caesar's Palace very much, but my save-state is still there. I'll chip away at it here and there. Life is just too busy. I'm almost done with Dick Tracy, which, I gotta say, has been a real delight to play. I'll save my full review for after I finish it.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 113/497

Finished Tetris Plus last night

gDLkhbv.png

I beat it on normal and I'm assuming that there aren't different endings. Finishing the last level unlocked the ability to play any level, but it doesn't tell you how to select them. Found a reference to a code on gamefaqs afterwards.  Puzzle mode was fun, but the explorer guy's stupidity in blindly climbing into spikes got annoying on occasion. I got the hang of most of his quirks, but there were still a lot of times where I thought the piece dropped early enough that he wouldn't latch on and climb, but he still did.  Some of the puzzles looked like they relied on getting good luck on random pieces early on, and there were too many times where I needed a specific piece but had to cycle through 20-30 pieces to find it. If some of those odd quirks weren't there, it would have been great. Instead it was just pretty good.

Next week, or the week after I'll be trying Star Wars.  I hear it's tough, but the manual mentions continues. If it's unlimited continues, then I can hopefully force my way through

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished Dick Tracy. I really can't say why exactly, maybe it was my low expectations, but I really liked this game. It's a side-scroller, but not a typical low-effort licensed one. I like games where you have a few options for what weapon to use to get bad guys (like Mega Man, or some parts of James Bond). There's passwords between levels, and if you don't care about your score, using a continue doesn't make you repeat any round (within the level) that you've already passed. So there's a need to learn the levels, but it's not a do-or-die urgent need. You can die a few times, not a huge biggie. So it becomes a game of managing your lives to get through each level with enough good weapons to beat the boss. I guess I failed and tried again exactly enough times for it to feel like the right amount of difficulty for me. I'm betting most other people would find it on the easy side.

5ii7Ao7.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 116/497
2 hours ago, Splain said:

Finished Dick Tracy. I really can't say why exactly, maybe it was my low expectations, but I really liked this game. 

Interesting. Just looked up gameplay and it looks similar to The Rocketeer on NES. Makes sense since it's the same developer, Realtime Associates. If you like this one, check out The Rocketeer. It's a good game.

I beat Mega Man III. More frustration than fun?

20210705_135505.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 117/497
  • The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 118/497

Another one down.  Black Bass Lure Fishing...

Review:

Time:  2 month long or about 80 hours.
GET THE INSTRUCTION BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------

This one is like fishing with a bare hook (down right frustrating).  For the first few days i had to learn how to use the "basic Lures", then I had to learn where the fish were, move the boat which cost game time. Once you get that down then I had to learn how the what each icon mean. I lost about 30 hooks and about 40 fish over the game time. All this was in the first 60 hours.  So for the last 20 hours I ignored all the above.

To beat. You have to move through each of the 3 groups simple right.  WRONG!!!

You start out as #100 group 3 in order to move to the next group you must be above #50 by end of game day. If you don't you ground hog day ( I.E. restart the new day at #100 group 3.)
Once you have caught enough in one day you move to group 2 you get 2 more lures and a new lake noting good but useful (if you know what your doing.) At the end of day you have to be above #25 you ground hog day ( I.E. restart the new day at #50 group 2.)
Once you have caught enough in one day you move to group 1 you get 1 more lure noting good but useful (if you know what your doing.) At the end of day if you are not #1 you ground hog day ( I.E. restart the new day at #25 group 2.)

You have no clue what the leader board looks like. You have no clue how many fish anyone has or the wight each player has. Just what you have.  Game play start at 6am and runs until 5pm.  Each fish missed or caught is time spent each cast is about 30 min game time, each move of the boat is about 1 hour of game time.

As you can see you Ground hog a lot if lucky.  The password it did nothing but Ground hog you(unless you have moved to the next level.)  so it was not useful.

bottom line:
playability = 1-10 (10 being crazy easy)  I give it a : 4
graphics = 1- 10 (10 being mind blowing) I give it a: 5
saves usefulness = 1- 10 (10 being cheating ) I give it a: 1
end game finish = 1- 10 (10 being worth watching ) I give it a: 1 (if you hit the "A" button it is over.  i was just able to get this screen shot..

so over all score is 11 out of 40 = play but only if you are on a deserted island and this is the only thing you have....

88152164_blackbass.jpg.5cb0265e1de0c6e48a434351e59aa2ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the Face Shrine but I'm now stuck again. Finally went and resolved the trade game to get the final item, although I have no idea what it does beyond the one room where they demonstate it to you. I've also gone and grabbed all of the bomb/arrow/powder upgrades, and I'm closing in on 20 seashells. The biggest problem now is that I know I need the flute but I have no idea where it is. I know where the key to the next dungeon is, and I know more or less what is needed to get there, but I am clueless on where the flute is located. I'm just going to keep searching and hopefully something will come to light. Along the way, I've been revisiting old spots and getting items that were previously locked off, so it's been a good chance to round out the collectibles. Still, what a pain to be stuck here.

Figured out where the flute was at (or ocarina rather) and got the bird key, two of the three songs, and the level 2 sword. Now just going around looking for more unclaimed items.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the following things:

Spoiler

Monster in the beach cave. He wants to trade for something that will help him look for beach stuff. Logically that's the shovel. You trade him the shovel and you get the boomerang, which is interesting as I don't remember that even being in link's awakening. My curiosity is, are there things you can permanently miss as a result of trading the shovel away? I don't have my notes with me, but I'm almost certain there are a few seashells that were buried. The five leaves too are required shovel use. I never noticed this guy until recently so I don't know if it was always there or not. Maybe he's only visible with the magic lens?

I also wonder, are there more seashells after you get the sword, or do they disappear? I ask because I know from reading about a romhack that there are permanently missable shells, 3 in total, so there are by that logic at least 23 shells. Can I get the ones in the field that I'm still missing, or are they gone now? I don't see a space to count them anymore.

Update: I confirmed some things by referring to an older save file.

Spoiler

The boomerang trade guy (and probably the bomb/arrow/powder upgrade demons too) are only visible once you get the magic lens. Until then, they are all just empty caves. That means that, aside from the bananas you need to get the bridge built to the castle, you don't actually need to finish the trading games to finish the game. You will miss out on the level 2 upgrades and the boomerang however.

I do wonder, why did they choose to make the boomerang an optional item? I guess it's like LttP where you trade away the shovel for the flute (IIRC, it's been years and I actually last played the GBA versions, which lets you hold onto all items). Just seems like a strange item to make a mid-late game optional item. Maybe they already had it programmed in and made a decision later in development to replace it in the core item set.

Another thought: I think it's funny how in the Japanese version of the game, the mermaid lost not her necklace but her bikini top, and if you dive anywhere close to her, she calls you a pervert and swims away. I swear that I discovered this innocently.

Edited by koifish

Been a long time since I posted but I did get and nail down a couple games you can add to the list as finished, forgot about this not like I usually took images anyway.

King of Fighters 95
and then the other day I found, then finished the strangely excellent Popeye 2.  It's not bad, much like a shooter, try not to get hit, because powered up helps on the last couple bosses a lot.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 123/497
Editorials Team · Posted

Sorry for neglecting the thread. School has started for the kiddos, so I should be back on the site a little more now. I've been playing Lemmings, but I sort of doubt I'll get through all 120 levels.

@koifish I think I read somewhere that there are 26 (? I bet it's googlable) total seashells in the game, but as soon as you get 20 of them, the rest turn into rupees. I remember being in a dungeon and finding a staircase that took me outside, in the middle of the raft course. It's just a tiny platform with a chest on it. I was excited to see what was in it, but it was just 20 rupees. ??? Turns out it would have been a seashell if I hadn't gotten 20 already.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished like 10 GB games in July. Fridays at work have been really slow, okay? Nothing too difficult. Here's the ones that have yet to be accounted for:

7/5 Nettou Garou Densetsu 2 (Japan only) - Based on Fatal Fury 2, not to be confused with the one Tanooki beat based on Real Bout Special. I've you've played any other SNK fighting conversions for Game Boy, you know what to expect.

7/16 Batman: The Video Game - I like tiny, gun-toting Batman, but the last stage sure is a pain...

7/23 Ghostbusters II - It's amazing that a game where the primary difficulty is corralling your tag-along partner can still be so fun. It's also impressive that they managed to capture Bill Murray's hairline in such a small sprite.

7/28 Avenging Spirit - I know people are supposed to like this one. The body hopping gimmick is cool, but I didn't appreciate the cheap hits. Got the good ending.

7/28 The Smurfs - I don't love this game... but having already learned it on NES and Master System made it fairly painless to complete.

ff2.jpg

bat.jpg

gb2.jpg

av.jpg

smf.jpg

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Nice job @John198X! I tried so many times to get through that last stage in Batman but never did it. We played that one earlier in the year for Game of the Month on the r/gameboy subreddit. The consensus was that it's all about the weapon you use, and the best one to use isn't collectable in that level; you have to bring it from a previous one.