IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

Pipe Dream is done!

lcN44IT.png

This was a lot easier than Quarth.  I'm not sure if I ever got all that good at the game, but I sure did try until I got the next password.  The last 8 stages that you have to do in a row finally helped me get a better feel for everything, but I was still terrible at strategizing. My moves were purely reactionary with little advanced planning. When I did try to plan a bit, I never lucked into the pieces I needed fast enough to make the plan work.  Anyway, it was a good time and thankfully pretty short and forgiving.

Next up I'm going for the best ending in Yogi Bear's Gold Rush. Looks like average time is about an hour for any %, so even if I have to hunt for all the collectables needed, it should be done pretty quick.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Great job on Quarth!! Yeah that sun makes the Kid Icarus sun look downright pleasant:

kidicarus08-560x504.jpg

Anyway, good job on the clears! I'm struggling to finish 28 games for the month, just finding the time. But I have to keep trying. I finally finished Play Action Football, which gives no ending screen outside of the usual one when you beat any team, then kicks you to the title screen. Also finished both of the 4-in-1 Funpak carts, where each individual game gives a generic YOU WIN message. And then Ren and Stimpy: Veediots. Such a trash game, lol. Trash that reminds me of when I was a kid. I came really close to finishing Stargate using a fresh new strategy, but I might have to push that one to another month. 8 games to go.

RmxysBV.jpg

oiBTAHv.jpg

lMHhHbs.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 67/497
Editorials Team · Posted

I beat NFL Quarterback Club 2, which is such a weird case. I need to dig in and see what the story was for this "game." There's no option for things like Single Game, Season, Playoffs, Multiplayer, or anything. You just start a game. You can at least pick a team and a couple of options about that game, but you just kinda launch straight into a game. Winning that game gives no ending screen other than just the final score, and then it's back to the title screen. They had the NFL license to use real team names/logos, and this is what they did with it? I don't have the manual for that one, and I can't find a scan online, so I'll try and hunt one down.

It gets weirder though. Or maybe less weird, actaully. The title screen says Quarterback Club, identical to the "real" Quarterback Club, just inverted colors. No "2" anywhere. Quarterback Club is just a collection of football-related minigames, and then Quarterback Club 96 looks to be the game that Quarterback Club 2 was "supposed" to be. You get the expected menu options this time, but the controls and actual in-game play selection and graphics are the same as QBC 2. Except that the field is now shown vertically instead of horizontally. And everyone moves at supersonic speeds. Maybe QBC2 got rushed out the door to capitalize on some real-world event, and didn't get finished until later, as QBC 96. Don't know.

I also collected everything in the never-ending Super Off Road. The HUD is weird in this game, but the 99 in the bottom-left corner shows that I bought all 99 nitros. (the 1 shows that I'm on lap 1. So it's 991. shrug.)

xz8Fzj4.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 69/497
Editorials Team · Posted

Ok ok. I beat Bust-a-Move 2 (I used to LOVE it when games gave codes at the end), Kung Fu Master (you all saw that coming, that's a very short/easy game), and Klax. Klax was a mistake. I thought I could slam it out pretty quickly, but it takes a long time to get through some of those waves. The game tells you there are 99 waves, and that you're on the last wave when you hit 99, but then just dumps you back at 1 when you finish it. So here I am at wave 1 with lots of points. 3 more games to go!

09KSvb7.jpg

qGwryNX.jpg

hojUvWM.jpg

QwdpVmW.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 72/497

It's strange that any NFL Quarterback Club game doesn't have the mini games. That was the whole appeal, I thought: A Quarterback skills challenge tournament.  To me, it's like making an Olympics game that only has one playable event.

Congrats on all the clears so far. Sounds like you'll make it and then you can a head start on the 31 games of March!

• Wow! 1

Sounds like you've been busy @Splain, good on you.

I'm getting into Frank Thomas/All-Star/whatever it is at this point (honestly I get them confused). I'm slowly turning it on and winning games. However, last night I desired a change of pace, so I decided to take a break and play some Link's Awakening; It's been forever since I played the game, and it's fun to see it again. I'm going to try doing a 3 heart run of it, and see how it compares to something like Link Between Worlds Hero Mode (which was an intense challlenge, some things were absolutely nightmarish).

38 minutes ago, Splain said:

Ahahaha @Floating Platforms already did Teen Tournament! Of all the Jeopardy games I could have grabbed, that's the one that's been done already lol. Ok, I'll probably grab 2 other Jeopardy games to finish out the month.

Well, if it's any consolation, your score crushed mine. I may have been the faster teen, but you had the higher GPA

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Make no mistake, I usually let the CPU run the game and shoot itself in the foot ("ZWXYZ" over and over) but I lost on my first attempt because I let the computer play most of the game, and it actually lucked out and beat me. The second time through, I tried a little harder, and I got two Daily Doubles on a category I remembered from the first game 😄

So that got my score nice and high, and it's a good thing it did, because the computer played really well again. Usually it goes into Final Jeopardy with just a couple thousand.

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok. It's done, I polished off Vanilla Jeopardy! and Jeopardy! Platinum Edition. Luckily the CPU was back to its old tricks of failing its way into the negative and pretty much staying there.

There, that's 28 games in February. There have been so many games I wanted to play, but didn't because I didn't know if they would be quick enough. Now I'm going to spend a long time beating games I've never beaten before. I've never really taken a dive into the Mega Man games, (and they're on my backlog in that other thread,) so I'm going to check those out. Also I want to play the Spiderman games for some reason. We'll see how many I stick with long enough to beat.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 75/497
54 minutes ago, Splain said:

There, that's 28 games in February. There have been so many games I wanted to play, but didn't because I didn't know if they would be quick enough. Now I'm going to spend a long time beating games I've never beaten before. I've never really taken a dive into the Mega Man games, (and they're on my backlog in that other thread,) so I'm going to check those out. Also I want to play the Spiderman games for some reason. We'll see how many I stick with long enough to beat.

Congratulations! That's really impressive!  I've never finished a Mega Man GB game either and only own the first one still.  Recently I got a decent price on the 4 Final Fantasy games though and pretty soon, I'll be starting Final Fantasy Legend as one of my milestones, so I'm excited to see what all that is about.

• Like 1

I'm close to beating Yogi Bear. I know where 10 of the 12 secret areas are and have a pretty good idea about the one in the last level.  Second to last level will take a bit of exploring and blind jumping.  I probably would have finished tonight, but our heater is broken and that made the basement area too cold to keep going (we're getting a new one tomorrow).

The game is not great (you only get a jump button - B is not used) and the only bit of enjoyment is coming from hunting the secret areas.  If I were using a guide or not going for best ending, it would be a quick 40-60 minute distraction.

10 hours ago, Floating Platforms said:

The game is not great (you only get a jump button - B is not used) and the only bit of enjoyment is coming from hunting the secret areas.  If I were using a guide or not going for best ending, it would be a quick 40-60 minute distraction.

Sounds like a European game; I have seen a lot of games from the continent or from the UK where they ported it from a micro that used an Atari joystick, and so the game was designed around having one button. Others that come to mind are Castelian and Puggsly's Scavenger Hunt (or am I thinking of the other adamm's family game?)

Playing the "off-beat" game boy games, as we do, gives us a relatively rare insight into games that were obviously not originally designed for the system. I would say that most people who play game boy will only play the Mario and Zelda and Pokemon and such, products that are designed from the ground up around the GB, and so they never get to experience the nightmare of holding start for turbo in NBA Jam, or pressing B to bat in Big Hurt Baseball, or any number of other things. Our unique cross to bear 😛

I have found something odd with link's awakening, and maybe it's because I am playing a japanese copy, but the game won't let me get the instruments without getting the heart container. That was dungeon 1; I am also finding that I cannot get bowwow to follow me, but I don't know if it is because I didn't get the first instrument or if it is because I am missing a step in the process (I did complete the yoshi doll trading up to the point of getting bananas, but now I'm not sure who to give them to, I suspect a monkey but the one monkey won't respond and likely needs another step)

Trying to do even a simple game blind/without help/relying on old memories is tougher than I expected. It is an interesting place to be, like a monkey up a tree, to find clues I still am free, but for my own hands binding me.

Editorials Team · Posted

Hah, I'm trying to remember the steps in the Zelda trading sequence. I remember the monkey gets a stick for beating down a honeycomb, so the bananas must go to someone else.

I've always thought it was a little weird for game hardware/controllers to dictate the use of buttons or controls, like calling a button Start, even though almost every game also uses it as a Pause button. And I very rarely press Select to select something, but I've used it for plenty of other things in various games. The Amiga CD32 controller seems to have a basic idea of what every button "should" be used for, though I wonder if there are any games at all that use the buttons in a way to make all of those symbols make sense.

7 hours ago, koifish said:

Sounds like a European game; I have seen a lot of games from the continent or from the UK where they ported it from a micro that used an Atari joystick, and so the game was designed around having one button. Others that come to mind are Castelian and Puggsly's Scavenger Hunt (or am I thinking of the other adamm's family game?)

It could very well be. I actually haven't played either Addams Family game but I think they are tougher platformers. Yogi is a pretty lazy effort probably on par with something like Barbie in terms of challenge if not trying for the good ending.

That Zelda problem sounds interesting. I'm pretty sure I remember the item the bowwow wants but not 100% and definitely don't remember where you get it.  It's been forever since I've played it, but I remember the first time I tried as a kid, I softlocked that dungeon with the 4 pillars.  I thought I was missing something, but nope it was some weird sequence that breaks the game. I didn't try again for another couple years when I started from scratch.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

It could very well be. I actually haven't played either Addams Family game but I think they are tougher platformers. Yogi is a pretty lazy effort probably on par with something like Barbie in terms of challenge if not trying for the good ending.

That Zelda problem sounds interesting. I'm pretty sure I remember the item the bowwow wants but not 100% and definitely don't remember where you get it.  It's been forever since I've played it, but I remember the first time I tried as a kid, I softlocked that dungeon with the 4 pillars.  I thought I was missing something, but nope it was some weird sequence that breaks the game. I didn't try again for another couple years when I started from scratch.

I'm pretty sure I remember now, there's a character who takes the bananas and gives you the item Bowwow wants, but I won't spoil it. I guess I could look it up if I want validation.

And I did that same thing in the 4-pillars dungeon as a kid. I couldn't figure out how to legitimately get through it, even leaving and coming back in to try and reset the ball you have to break the pillars with. Eventually I learned about the select-warp glitch and got through it, lol.

8 minutes ago, Splain said:

Eventually I learned about the select-warp glitch and got through it, lol.

I'm not sure I know about that glitch? Is that the one that can corrupt the save file and cause assets to go missing? I bought this lot of GB games and in testing a cart, link was there, but nothing else was (could be wrong,  my memory is shot and this was over a year ago, maybe some elements appeared but others didn't).  Anyway, I think I read that it was from some speedrun manipulation glitch thing.  I ended up using the cart to test my abilities at non-solder battery replacement.

Editorials Team · Posted

If I remember right, it got patched in later revisions of Link's Awakening. But you could hit Select right as Link hit the edge of the screen, and in the animation of shifting everything to show Link at the opening of the different, destination screen, (if you did it right,) the screen/level would shift but not Link. So I could cross uncrossable gaps by leaving a screen, then still being on that same side of the next screen over. If that makes sense. It allowed me to finish the dungeon and beat the game, and I've always sort of feared those later revisions, because I honestly can't remember if I've ever done that dungeon legitimately. I don't know if it caused data corruption, I definitely goofed around with it a lot after discovering it.

Edit: here it is, on this huge page of other glitches. 😄
https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Glitches_in_Link's_Awakening#Screen_Warp_Glitch

5 hours ago, Splain said:

Hah, I'm trying to remember the steps in the Zelda trading sequence. I remember the monkey gets a stick for beating down a honeycomb, so the bananas must go to someone else.

I've always thought it was a little weird for game hardware/controllers to dictate the use of buttons or controls, like calling a button Start, even though almost every game also uses it as a Pause button. And I very rarely press Select to select something, but I've used it for plenty of other things in various games. The Amiga CD32 controller seems to have a basic idea of what every button "should" be used for, though I wonder if there are any games at all that use the buttons in a way to make all of those symbols make sense.

Well, it made sense in 1983; Select was to select your game mode, and Start was to start the game. It was a straight copy of the Select/Reset switches on a 2600 in function. The famicom, of course, ended up being an extremely long-lived console, long enough that it was still getting games when 3D consoles were coming out, and so things changed over the years. N64 and Gamecube labeled their buttons "start/pause" in recognition of the change; Game Boy just stayed as it was for a long time. When you think about it, Nintendo didn't make a system without buttons labeled start/select until the Wii, and Sony/MS followed suit until the xbone/ps4 (less MS as they had the select/back buttons)

1 hour ago, Floating Platforms said:

i figured it out by copying my save to another slot and experimenting. The trading game is for a later segment and I can't reach the next person yet; To advance the plot in the GB version of Link's Awakening, you have to grab the heart containers to open the final doors and grab the instruments. As soon as you do, the plot starts up for the next sequence. You cannot trigger it any other way, beyond maybe a glitch of some kind.

Apparently the Switch remake, which I haven't played, changes that, so that you can skip the heart containers. Given that I cannot proceed normally without grabbing hearts, I will simply have to do 100% run instead.

Thinking on it, I'm kind of surprised that a romhack doesn't exist to let you skip the heart containers. But, maybe it does and I just haven't seen it. Anyway, that wouldn't be appropriate for this challenge, so the alternative will be okay.

I've proceeded onward without issue. I expect the rest of the game should go fine.

The one thing I remember struggling with the first time I ever played this game was with the third dungeon key. I had no idea how to find the key, so I just kept wandering around ukuku sougen looking for stuff.

Incidentally, i found a great grinding spot: To get rupees fast, just go to the bottom-left square of the graveyard (the one with infinite zombies spawning) and stand between the two graves on the left. Face left, and mash A button. Zombies will eternally spawn and walk into your blade, and then if you are just close enough to the far-left edge of the screen, you will be able to pick up the rupees that drop with your sword swipes. It isn't the fastest way, but it is the most mindless; I had some boring busy work to do the other day and got enough to buy the bow; I decided this would be not only my first ever 100% but also my first time beating the  game without the name "THIEF".

Alright, Yogi Bear's Gold Rush is done

WxEfLOD.png

Some of those bonus areas were hidden in devious places.  It took several sets of continues to do all of the blind jumping and spike/pit death exploration needed, but I got there without a guide.  Like I said before, I think that hunt for secret areas was the only reason the game was worth playing.  I haven't played Barbie yet, but I imagine the any% run would be on the same difficulty level.  The graphics were decent enough, except for Yogi himself. The music consisted of one repetitive song. Overall the game felt like it was phoned in. There was potential for something fun and interesting, but they gave up or ran out of time maybe.

Next for me is Final Fantasy Legend, a game I rented as a kid, but never owned. I'm not a huge RPG guy but I'm still excited to give it a shot.

• Like 1