IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 84/497
On 3/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, Floating Platforms said:

Congratulations! You're one step closer to becoming a Mega Man master!  This one is actually my milestone game #100, so there's a small chance I'll join you in beating it for the first time this year.  If you do go for the other titles, they are supposed to be easier, right?

I made more progress on FFL and got sphere #3 and a good chunk of the story done in the next chapter.  I do fear I'm getting severely overmatched and the items in the shop are obscenely expensive.  The next time I play, I might do a bit of grinding to get a couple of okay weapons and stock up on health stuff a bit more.  Most of my guys feel under-leveled and I've been spending a chunk of time exploring the various areas and running from encounters until I die just so I can streamline the "real" run.  If there's no chapter 5, then I'll probably be done the next time I play. If there is, then I'm hoping for two more sessions.

MM 2 gb is braindead easy, MM 3 gb goes back to Wily Revenge difficulty but a bit more fair, MM 4 gb hit the sweet spot and MM V is gold

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Splain said:

Nice job @JVOSS. Btw, your signature says this:

6000 Documented 2145 (3.57%  owned)

But that's actually 35.7%, isn't it?

will 35% is way better then 3.5%.  having to recheck the world list.  i think the JPN has inflated the total numbers. It is so hard to get a real list of all world game boy games...

currently i have list that contains about 7800 but that includes items that may have to be shifted to a different list ie (special items like blister packs/ duel box item and the LE jpn items) 

Well, I think I may have screwed myself with Final Fantasy Legend.  I made it to the boss, but after several attempts, I cannot beat him, and I can't go back down to get other items, etc.  My save was after entering the last door, so there's a good chance I have to start over from scratch.  I caved and looked at a couple guides tonight and all of them mention the glass sword, which I don't have.  I also have no healing items left. My monster has 5 attacks that do less than 100 dmg and then a bunch of spells that don't work. I do have the Masamune and a mutant with a few charges of Flare, but my other human has only Xcaliber or the dragon sword and everyone's getting wiped out once the attacks start in earnest.  Both humans have strength of 99, but bad agility and 200-300 HP.

If there are any experts that might have some hints, I'm open to it, but without any sort of healing/revive items I can use in battle and without the sword that supposedly I need (or saw), I might have to suck it up and grind back through the whole dang tower.

There is the Door item that lets you teleport to any floor of the inner tower, iirc. So you could use that to get back immediately, if you happen to have it. Otherwise you might really have to go back down to grind and better equip your party.

I would recommend getting the humans to at least over 600 HP which should be pretty fast when you're using the appropriate items. A bit more agility wouldn't hurt either. I don't think the glass sword is all that necessary since it can only be used once and deals about 1000 damage. Yes, it's nice to have for a human character, but not a deal breaker if you don't have it. But you should really strengthen them.

And since it's fairly easy to grind for money in the first game I would also recommend to buy a few flare books from the fourth world or so. While it's nice to have a mutant with the flare ability, using the same ability from books actually deals more damage.

And while you're at it I would recommend getting a book with the healing spell and maybe an elixir or two which completely heal your one character AND fill up all of their attacks as if you were sleeping. You can use them anytime outside of battle or you have to equip them for use in battle. Humans have many slots anyway.

Maybe someone else has more suggestions.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I don't have a door item either and I don't think there's a way to go back down once you're in that final room.

Our system is down at work, so I went through my VOD and logged the attempts. If gamefaqs is accurate, the final boss as 4820-4860 HP. The best I did was 4330, but most attempts were between 3500-3800. I have barrier with my mutant, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I also noticed that the damage dealt each try was exactly the same each time, (First round of attacks was always, 337, 275, 64, 70; second was always 330, 377, 86, 84; etc.) so the RNG is from the boss and when he hits.  The best run was one where I happened to get one more swing off before his Flare killed me. No way I'm getting 2 or 3 more big attacks in.

Looks like I almost definitely need to start from scratch if there's no hidden exit

• Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted

ouch, that hurts to hear. Didn't you have to start over last year @Gaia Gensouki? I thought you got softlocked somewhere too.

I've only gone through this game once, but I had the Saw which makes short work of the final boss. And I won't pretend I found it on my own. Props to anyone who gets through that game with no outside info.

Yeah, that's really bad. I loaded up my old save file and was suprised to see that there's indeed no exit on the final floor. What a terrible oversight on the part of the developers.

But yeah, I also had to restart the whole game last year due to a glitch where I was no longer able to move out of a dungeon.If you have neither door nor some kind of exit spell with your monster then you're unfortunately trapped in there.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning that glitch and made a point to not save while inside the dungeons.  Honestly, I pushed things too much at the end, because it was getting late and I was sort of save scumming to avoid damage from random encounters so I could see what I had ahead of me.  Then I was at the boss with all 4 characters and full health, so figured I was safe to save, especially since the boss gauntlet to get to that point was no problem at all and my weapons were plenty strong for them.  I was also thinking that if other people beat it in 9-12 hours and I was nearing 15, I must be a high enough build to do it - not thinking that most of them might have searched other rooms for different weapons or used a guide, etc.

Well, at least I have a lot of knowledge about the game now that it should go faster this time.  I'll see if I can sneak in a couple hours tonight, so I can still hopefully beat it by the end of the month.  At least my next three games will be pretty short.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 3/13/2021 at 8:48 PM, imabadguy1 said:

MM 2 gb is braindead easy

I thought this was an exaggeration. There are passwords for the whole game, which I like, but each level (once you have some weapons) usually takes only 1 attempt anyway. The extra Energy tanks are all over the place, and the final boss is a joke. I couldn't believe the game was over. In MM1, I knew what each weapon was, and I had to learn how each one was useful against which enemies. In MM2, I only knew what a couple were, because I never really needed them. Even the final boss, in 3 forms, I beat using the regular buster. Shrug!! That's Mega Man II down. I took this picture a little early, just in case the battery died before the end of the... ending, and it totally did.

29Tixcz.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Splain said:

I thought this was an exaggeration. There are passwords for the whole game, which I like, but each level (once you have some weapons) usually takes only 1 attempt anyway. The extra Energy tanks are all over the place, and the final boss is a joke. I couldn't believe the game was over. In MM1, I knew what each weapon was, and I had to learn how each one was useful against which enemies. In MM2, I only knew what a couple were, because I never really needed them. Even the final boss, in 3 forms, I beat using the regular buster. Shrug!! That's Mega Man II down. I took this picture a little early, just in case the battery died before the end of the... ending, and it totally did.

29Tixcz.jpg

Oh yeah man, I remember getting this game from a yard sale and I beat it on my first try without dying. It was a joke of a game lol

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 87/497

Congrats on Battletoads! Those games scare me.

I'm almost done with Final Fantasy Legend.  I've gone through everything except the final boss rush, etc.  I will probably need to grind a bit more to get more HP boosts to be extra sure, but otherwise, I am prepared and it should be done likely Wednesday.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I agree, just the speedbike level gets talked about enough that I am also afraid of that game, lol.

I've been chipping away at Mega Man 3, and also I randomly grabbed Hercules and popped it in. I can't decide if it's trash, or if it's passable. I looked up when @Floating Platforms beat it in 2019, and he said the 3rd level was the worst, and that's the level I keep dying on. So I'll try and push past it and finish the game.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 88/497
17 minutes ago, Splain said:

I've been chipping away at Mega Man 3, and also I randomly grabbed Hercules and popped it in. I can't decide if it's trash, or if it's passable. I looked up when @Floating Platforms beat it in 2019, and he said the 3rd level was the worst, and that's the level I keep dying on. So I'll try and push past it and finish the game.

You can do it! I beat the game overall in 3 hours total playtime, so practice makes it passible.  It may be better to just push through while you're used to the control scheme and all the input delays.

1 hour ago, Splain said:

I agree, just the speedbike level gets talked about enough that I am also afraid of that game, lol.

What you should truly be afraid of is clinger winger on battletoads gb and volkmire's inferno on nes. Those are infinitely worse, turbo tunnel is a piece of cake when you get it down.

Final Fantasy Legend is done.

6iYPQkx.png 

I sure as hell hope they don't see me again!  I tried to do it "legit" without the saw and glass sword, but I still didn't have good enough weapons overall to take him down.  Even with the glass sword, my mutants were too inefficient. I would have needed to grind more to really make it happen. I made sure to save before I even went into the boss room this time, and I did have door items, so I could potentially go back and do it, but forget it.  After basically two full playthroughs, I'm sick of this thing. I used the saw and got the hell on with my life.

Next up for me is one that should be much shorter: NFL Football.  I tried a little tonight, but my stream was dropping a lot and I kept getting intercepted. Most likely when I try next, I'll do mostly QB runs. I can already tell that I hate this one and it may be one of the worst football games on GB.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Nice job. Unfortunately the tail end of that game is just too much. If they had toned it down just a tad (yeah yeah, for us weak Western gamers) this game would be up there with Zelda/Pokemon/Tetris.

I finally picked Hercules back up and finished it. Ridiculous game. Then I spent some time on Hunt for Red October. I reached-but-didn't-beat the last level last time i played it, but I just... need a break I guess. They give you tons of extra lives because they know that getting killed a few times per level is inevitable. I really think that one-life-clearing the game is literally impossible. So I'll play some other stuff for now and maaaaaybe come back to Red October someday.

I guess I need to get back to MM3.

sd6V7O2.jpg?1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 90/497
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 11:00 PM, Floating Platforms said:

Final Fantasy Legend is done.

6iYPQkx.png 

I sure as hell hope they don't see me again!  I tried to do it "legit" without the saw and glass sword, but I still didn't have good enough weapons overall to take him down.  Even with the glass sword, my mutants were too inefficient. I would have needed to grind more to really make it happen. I made sure to save before I even went into the boss room this time, and I did have door items, so I could potentially go back and do it, but forget it.  After basically two full playthroughs, I'm sick of this thing. I used the saw and got the hell on with my life.

Next up for me is one that should be much shorter: NFL Football.  I tried a little tonight, but my stream was dropping a lot and I kept getting intercepted. Most likely when I try next, I'll do mostly QB runs. I can already tell that I hate this one and it may be one of the worst football games on GB.

Sorry you had a bad time with it. SaGa 1 is a strange game, and not always fun, but it has a unique feeling that I don't get out of many other games. I think that's a trait of Kawazu games in general really; Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was a similar kind of game, though markedly easier to beat.

Was also posting to back up your opinion on NFL Football. It's pretty terrible, and basically just a quick licensing cash-in. Be careful at the ending, as it's another game that flashes a "final score" and then dumps you to the main screen.

Also, you should almost never pass; Interceptions are basically free for both sides (good for you when they pass though!).

• 2 weeks later...

Played some Game Boy recently and Super RC Pro Am is done.

I have some completion requirement suggestions for a couple games.  The difficulty level in Faceball 2000 seems to just change the start level, so it's not possible to play every level unless you play on Very Easy.  Also, QIX does have a Congratulations screen if you score at least 500,000 points.

rc.JPG.64c8704832d90607df355110ca17e479.JPG

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Red said:

I have some completion requirement suggestions for a couple games.  The difficulty level in Faceball 2000 seems to just change the start level, so it's not possible to play every level unless you play on Very Easy.  Also, QIX does have a Congratulations screen if you score at least 500,000 points.

Oof you're right, I didn't know these. I'll have to get that ending screen to legitimize my Qix clear. Thanks Red.