IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 30/497
11 hours ago, Splain said:

I'm planning to switch to Game Boy in February-- 28 GAMES.

Hold on a minute...is this you calling your shot? 28 Games in 28 days?

As a group, that would be great to see. I will probably only get 4 done if my current planned games stay available. After that is my milestone game #75 - Final Fantasy Legend and I don't think I'll finish that until March. (Not calling dibs on it by any means, though.  I will be playing through it whether someone beats it first or not)

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with cheapo clears!  If I didn't set my system up to rely so much on randomization and viewer votes, I would probably try to get a bunch of those done too.  I'm surprised I was able to get 3 games done in a day earlier this month. Doubt that string of short titles will come along again.

Good luck with the plan, Splain. I really hope you can do it.

For now, Chase HQ is done. While there really aren't enough differences between this and Super Chase HQ to make owning both worthwhile, Super is definitely an improvement. This game relies on cheap hits from civilian cars a bit too much. I had the ZX Spectrum version as a kid, and that managed to fit a decent version of the game into 48kb of memory, so the GB version should be better than it is.

Anyway, I am going to try to play some longer titles now.

20210127_204635.thumb.jpg.8fcfddf0c49991c1667f26caf9e05236.jpg

• Like 2

Road Rash is beaten. For some reason reasodoesn't work on a GBA, so I had to use my old Gameboy from when I was a kid, combined with lots of light.

It's a great conversion from the Megadrive/Genesis. Obviously the graphics are cut down, and there are no brakes! The only other changes are the removal of the chain and kick function from combat, and an increased rubber banding effect. You can therefore win with one of the early bikes, but a single mistake spells trouble. Or splash out on a faster bike and gain more margin for error.

Overall it's one of the better racing games on the Gameboy.20210128_212904.thumb.jpg.1b71d6eb53d4cfdfef9028fe0218dc97.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, Samurai Shodown is completely done. All 15 characters. Here's a couple of screenshots from the different endings

jUKjWWJ.png

Here's part of Amakusa's ending

lyhUg1i.png

Here's part of the Judge's ending - both of these are "secret" characters - the game tells you how to unlock them if you beat anyone's story.

This was an incredibly impressive fighting game with a ton of characters to choose from (12 main, 3 hidden) that all look and feel unique. Each character gets their own background stage, music, dialogue, storyline with cutscenes, move set, and a fantastic sprite.  During my first few runs, I had a lot of trouble with certain character matchups, but after I learned (on my 4th character) that you can press A&B together for a power slash, it opened the game up considerably. Still, expect about an hour for each run on normal difficulty (it took me 18 hours total).  It was amazing to see so much variety in this cartridge and I liked exploring all of the different story lines. The translation had some comedic spots (possibly inadvertent like "join the dark guy") and there were far too many instances where they use "Not!" in the same context as Wayne's World. But the cutscenes were well done, just like pretty much the rest of the game.  If they can fit all of this into a Game Boy cartridge, it really raises the bar for other fighting games that probably can't come close to this.

Now that I've fully finished that, I'll move on to Bram Stoker's Dracula later this week sometime.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Nice job guys. I forgot to post yesterday that I beat Ishido, and then today I beat Tetris Blast. I'm working on a few longer games (with passwords) in the background as well. 2 games down for February!

@Floating Platforms I'm impressed with the depth of Samurai Showdown, I didn't know any of that. Do you think the requirement for that one should change?

Whoa, I should clean my screen.

ioGWZqE.jpg

MWe0a2i.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 34/497

If images are required I guess I'm screwed, but 2 days ago I knocked off Nettou Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special (Fatal Fury Special) for the Gameboy.  Today I cracked open my recovered copy of the Genjin Collection which as both Bonk's Adventure and Revenge... cleared them too.

I never really put the hard effort into thinking about this thread when I do things, sorry.  But I noticed FFS isn't even on the list for imports, and the others the JP and US games other than title/language are identical so they're clear.  That's +3 for the list.

About two weeks ago I knocked off Battle Arena Toshinden again on defaults, just remembered that, but seeing the time gap I can take another swing at if necessary.  Just let me know.  I've been getting a decent amount of GB/GBC games in the mail fairly recently, some are long slogs like Crystalis, Revelations the Demon Slayer, and Great Greed for the old GB so that's not happening anytime soon.

I didn't want to muddy this into the same post.

I imported this multicart from Japan, and I don't mean a boot, but it's a title called Sports Collection (DMG-ASCJ-JPN)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Collection

Below are what is on there.  I take it if I clear any of these I could get individual credit?  As you can see 3 of the 5 have US entries.  I really just wanted it for Roadster (which is expensive) and Dodge Boy, but it's nice either way.

2 hours ago, Splain said:

I'm impressed with the depth of Samurai Showdown, I didn't know any of that. Do you think the requirement for that one should change?

I'm always going to try to beat fighting games with each character if the ending for each is different (like I did with Killer Instinct last year), but I'm not sure it makes much sense to make everyone do that. Even requiring best ending on something wouldn't change things for this game since it seems Normal endings are the same as Hard.  I would recommend playing through it a couple times because it's fun to see the stories, but doubt it should be required.

Damn he beat me to checking into that.  I've had SS1 since the 90s when it came out.  That game is deep and excellently executed for a Gameboy fighter, top tier all the way.  They really didn't skimp when moving that move set and roster from the big machine and consoles to it.  Chibi made it possible, as did the neo geo 4 button design because you can tap or hold to get those 4 strike types in so there's really no loss at play here.  You can even hit select x3 on the Takara menu and get to play as the ref or Amakuza too.

Like I said a little ago I was working on the Takara stuff, nailed down those 2, RB FF2 is just sadist, the CPU even on easy is an utter cheezing nightmare, not sure I can tolerate that one enough, but if someone does they need like 5 points because it's well known as evil among the lot.

I guess I'll pull out my Samurai Spirits 3 cart and see if I can still take it down.

Edit: 24min later -- Samurai Spirits 3 is finished...last boss is just a pain.

Edit #2:  Put another 20min into one -- took down (Super Dodgeball) Nekketsu Kou Kou Dodge Ball Bu

I rarely play Gameboy like this, and today both Bonk Adv and Revenge, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special(JP), Samurai Spirits 3 (JP), and now Dodgeball (JP)  And as I said never tracked it but did take out Battle Arena Toshinden a couple weeks back (US copy.)

Edited by Tanooki

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 37/497
Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

If images are required I guess I'm screwed, but 2 days ago I knocked off Nettou Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special (Fatal Fury Special) for the Gameboy.  Today I cracked open my recovered copy of the Genjin Collection which as both Bonk's Adventure and Revenge... cleared them too.

I never really put the hard effort into thinking about this thread when I do things, sorry.  But I noticed FFS isn't even on the list for imports, and the others the JP and US games other than title/language are identical so they're clear.  That's +3 for the list.

About two weeks ago I knocked off Battle Arena Toshinden again on defaults, just remembered that, but seeing the time gap I can take another swing at if necessary.  Just let me know.  I've been getting a decent amount of GB/GBC games in the mail fairly recently, some are long slogs like Crystalis, Revelations the Demon Slayer, and Great Greed for the old GB so that's not happening anytime soon.

Great! Yeah, we have the PAL exclusives listed out, but not the JPN exclusives just because the list would be massive. But clearing those games can still earn you points on the board. So you've got that JPN title and those 2 Genjin/Bonk/BC Kid games. What's the "time gap" issue with Battle Arena Toshinden? Did you start it in 2021?

And yes, clearing any of those titles would count as an individual clear. Even Roadster and Dodge Boy had standalone releases, so you could get up to 5 clears with that cart.

Time gap on BAT was 10-14 days.

Genjin Collection maybe Japanese, but it knocks off 2 USA versions as they're language aside identical:

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge

The pure Japanese: RB Fatal Fury Special, Nettou Samurai Spirits 3, *and* Nekketsu Kou Kou Dodge Ball Bu

Took out 5 games today,  the other (BAT) within the last two weeks. So 6 in all.  I just kind of got into a mood and just kept picking away.  I know the Japanese list is massive, so whatever they're worth that's fine but they're done.

Yeah, sorry to take that one away from you. It took a good 2 weeks or so to finish all the characters. I think Courier Man may have been my favorite. The Ref/Judge was the funniest due to what seemed like a bad translation. There aren't many fighting games on original GB, but I gave this a 10/10 because of its depth and style and fun, etc, so I'd be surprised if any US releases are better.

I own Battle Arena Toshinden, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm probably only tackling one more fighter this year and if you're focusing on Takara, then it's probably impossible we'll have to worry about playing the same thing.

It's fine I don't own it.  Well I've owned the cart forever but yeah 😉

I'm not big on fighting games anymore, so sooooo burned out.  I try on occasion, even had one of those SF packs for Switch and rarely touched it.  What i have on my Neo Geo arcade cabinet more than does it for me pretty much as I do keep a few (Mark of the Wolves, World Heroes, Last Blade, SS1(and 3 and 4), and Art of Fighting, that's it (other than the load out on the 161.)

Gameboy I do have Killer Instinct, the MK1+2 combo cart Midway put out at the very end, and Street Fighter II.  I think I finished SF2 right after the new year, but one I forgot if I did, and two, I never looked to see if someone did it already until just now and I can see it's open.  I may just knock that one off, I don't do well at the other 3 so that would take a serious commitment as skating by on easy won't do.

You are right about SS1 it's shocking deserves a total 10/10 for a Gameboy conversion.  it lacks nothing, captured every stage, every tune, every character, even added in 2 hidden even, openins, out-tros, and even endings all intact, plus it's fast, no slowness by design or lag.  SS3 is a bit more ambitious, it doesn't have the entire roster, nearly all though, but it's more detailed, has limited voices, and it does run at a slower pace to make up for the bulk.

EDIT: By the way last year I asked this and it was discussed at some point, but are we not doing Gameboy Color at all this year?  Or can that library get rolled into this as a catch all since they're all just 8bit gameboy in the end?

Edited by Tanooki

I've been working a bit so far this late afternoon into evening around that last post.

If you haven't figured it out I'm knocking off some quick titles just to post something, but also because I really can't commit to something big right now or I know a few I'd hit.

- Double Dragon
- Street Fighter II (did really well, 630000pts got a good many perfects which was fun)
- Kirby's Dream Land

I'm going to see if I can still clear Ninja Gaiden Shadow.  I'll update if I can do that or something beyond that.

EDIT: It's done

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 42/497
Editorials Team · Posted

I'm going to put Game Boy Color in its own thread, one that doesn't reset every year, since historically the interest has been pretty low. But there are definitely some must-plays on GBC, and I have a huge box full of GBC games that need to be played.

I knocked out Yoshi's Cookie and Serpent.

mED6pGv.jpg

r79km7z.jpg

• Like 1

Oh I tried revenge of the gator and forgot how sadist that one is trying to get the high score, so I went to another, The Getaway.  Failed a couple tables with some draining balls off the left chute which it does, but that last game I got 21.6M points, hit the jackpot and the multiball after locking the balls and doing the video driving course to trigger it all. 😄  Strangely accurate to the real table given it's Gameboy.  Shame HIgh Speed and Pinbot on NES got cute and stupid with monsters on the table, they'd be great too then.

SO far today: The Getaway High Speed II, Double Dragon, Street Fighter II, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, and Kirby's Dream Land

Thanks for adding Fatal Fury Special there, but I don't see Nettou Samurai Spirits Zankuro Musoken (Samurai Spirits 3) next to it. 🙂

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Ah yeah, I missed that and also Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball-Bu. Should be up to date now.

I've been re-playing Play Action Football, since I remember how to cheese the CPU from last year and it still reminds me of playing it as a kid. But I can never play more than one game at a time, it gets so repetitive. I guess I'm not supposed to be doing the same thing over and over though, so it's my own fault.

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 44/497

Thanks I thought about that a bit earlier I forgot to mention it, good catch.

I have to admit I'm enjoying this a bit, but it's also a straight up diversion.  I'm conflicted with Immortals on Switch, I'm enjoying it, but it's like not Skyrim slow, but slower than Breath of the Wild and I have a stack of new games I want to use on there.  I know if I pull it out, it's over, probably for good, so I'm delaying probably the inevitable. 😄

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 46/497

I pulled Immortals, it's fun but I really need a break from it with so much sitting there, so I popped in Blaster Master Zero.

I'm taking a break after the last couple days to watch stuff, otherwise I'd have taken down TMNT tonight as that's one I'd like to see if I can still handle.