IGNORED

Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 154/497

Splain

Nintendo World Cup is done. I've said it before, but the password system in this game is one of the most annoying I've ever encountered. The password will take you to the start of the match you won in order to get the password, which is stupid.

Anyway, it's not a bad game, but not exactly an accurate representation of football/soccer.

20210106_193501.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 13/497
11 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

I think Tale Spin is just a port of the NES game, Can confirm that one’s short.

Glad to hear. And since it's a port, there's a good chance there will be fewer levels, making it even shorter.  Maybe I'll try to get that finished tonight after the wife goes to sleep

Felix the Cat is done. I have never actually played this before, so was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay. It's very short, but enjoyable while it lasts.

I couldn't get to my phone in time to catch the brief cut scene, so got the below marvel to show for my efforts.

20210107_173056.jpg

• Like 2

Barbie is also done. After finding a pair of shoes, hallucinating an underwater adventure and then buying a dress while being attacked by coat hangers, Barbie was finally ready for her date.

The underwater bits actually play better than The Little Mermaid, though, so it isn't all bad.

Now to try my hand at StarHawk.

20210107_183259.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I didn't play last night, but did play tonight and knocked out three quick games!

TaleSpin

FyDHZO2.png

Only 5 levels in this one, and even though I beat it in less than an hour, it still gave me more trouble than I would have liked.  I found myself dying far too often by getting stuck on obstacles that I thought I was clear of. I also took way too long to figure out the right pattern for the 4th boss. The game was fun, with decent music and graphics. I liked the idea of using the cash in the level to buy upgrades, and the upgrades were useful in those later levels, but the game is far too short to recommend.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break

KInnKxh.png

Here's another one where the graphics are good, the music was fine, but it was a bit too short. The saving grace was getting to see so many of the Tiny Toons involved in the story and that it was story heavy. I wish the three playable Toons were different (other than weapon) and I wish you could play as the helper you find in each level.  I again had a lot more trouble with this kids game than I ever should have.  A lot of dumb deaths and poor choices on my part. I don't know if the game has continues and I was afraid to find out, so I used the racing mini game to farm lives. Still I almost used them all up on the final boss because I couldn't time my jumps properly to save my bunny life. It made for an exciting playthrough at least.

Jeopardy! Teen Tournament

bTf0No7.png

I'm twice the age but twice as dumb. There were times where the questions felt too vague and other times where the answer seemed so obvious that I couldn't believe the simple answer would be right. The game made me overthink like crazy. I haven't played other versions yet, but I noticed this one had a lot of paired questions where one answer would lead into the next in the same category. It made for some very simple moments but there were a lot of ridiculously hard ones as well.  I managed to barely squeak by with more than double the CPU's score when Final Jeopardy hit, so I bet $1. The question was an exact repeat of something from the first round, but I had already forgotten it. See? Twice as dumb.

I won't be beating my next game in one sitting.  Next is Samurai Shodown and I'm going for all endings.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Splain said:

Don't get me started on how garbage the Jeopardy games are.

I only ran into one issue with stupid matching. something like What Life Function describes the process of getting larger.  I answered "Growing" which was incorrect because they wanted "Growth."  It will probably be a while before I get to any of the other Jeopardy's so I'll live in blissful ignorance a bit longer.

StarHawk is beaten. It's a pretty good horizontal shooter that's probably on par with Solar Striker difficulty-wise. You do get continues, but using one normally reverts to the basic ship, and that isn't powerful enough to destroy even basic enemies on the later levels.

The bosses are interesting, though. Only one part of them is vulnerable at any time, but as you destroy a part of the boss they become less powerful. So they are most dangerous at the start of an encounter as they have all of their weapons.

Overall, this was a fun enough game that I will definitely return to it at some point.

20210108_204606.jpg

• Like 2

V-Rally is done. It's one of the best racing games on the Gameboy in my opinion. The graphics are good, the sound effects are ok and there are a variety of track surfaces and even weather effects.

It isn't the most difficult game, though, and focusing on careful driving rather than pure speed will win most races. I only dropped four points out of a possible 100.

20210109_105322.jpg

• Like 2

Trax is done. I haven't played this before, and it isn't exactly a challenge - at least not until the final boss. Still, it is quite an enjoyable game. I'm just glad I didn't buy such a short game back in the day.

Next up I am trying Power Racer, but that's really a test of my patience.

20210110_140257.jpg

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Nice winning streak!

Meanwhile, dumb ol' Super Breakout... there's no high score table, no winning any of the modes. I looked at a longplay of the GBC version (which appears to be identical to the GB version) and it showed that the block color patterns repeated after 8 screens in the regular mode. So I put that as the requirement, it's at least something. Well, I fired up the GB version to see that those color patterns aren't shown in the GB version! All levels are identical forever. And it seems silly to keep the requirement when it's based on a different version of the game. Harumph. So I'll probably change the requirement to something dumb like "complete one level in every mode" except that Progressive mode just scrolls down and never ends. Arrrrgh.

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 22/497
Editorials Team · Posted

I beat Tesserae. I feel like I'm one of very few people who actually likes this game. I had "any difficulty" in the requirement, but there's no reason it shouldn't be at least Intermediate difficulty so I bumped it up. This is the 4th year in a row that I beat it, and I think the 4th year in a row that I've recycled the same ending screen image:

1KrBcYJ.png

I really did beat it again though.

• Like 1

I've only played Tesserae for about 1 minute. I got my copy late last year in one of those retro game loot box subscriptions and can't even remember what the gameplay is like anymore.

What did you end up using for your completion criteria for Super Breakout?

I haven't started my latest game yet, but possibly tomorrow?

In terms of this challenge, Samurai Shodown is done. I beat the game with two characters last night on normal to see their endings (Gan-En and Galford). Only 13 more to go for my personal goal to see all endings.  If anyone knows if the endings are different when playing on hard, let me know.  I'll post pictures later when I'm all finished, but that might take a while.  First character took 1.5 hours, second took me 3. I'm not good at fighting games - glad there aren't too many on Game Boy but sadly my next fighting game after this is only 8 away.

Edited by Floating Platforms
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 28/497
  • The title was changed to Beat every Game Boy game - 2021 - 29/497

I was addicted to the yahoo java games version of mahjong solitaire. It's a shame that "completing" Shanghai is so short.

Quick update on Samurai Shodown - 6 characters done, 9 left. Had a hell of a time with the first three, then I read the instructions better and learned about using A&B at the same time for a power strike and that changed everything. Now, I can finish a character in about an hour. That should mean that I'm about half done time-wise and I'll move on to something else by early February

• Like 2