IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

11 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Motor City Patrol is really going to be a lot harder than I expected. I'll keep at it this week. If I'm going to have to bail, I'll let you all know next weekend. I'm not getting much better at the driving and made it to the 3rd stage a few times before crapping out.

I may be going back to this again, but I've been kinda side-tracked by other games in my life right now...For what it's worth, I think not getting all the speed upgrades is helpful since I crash into everything with the max speed stuff. If you can make a map (mental or otherwise) of where the "stolen goods" are, then you don't have to worry too much about getting warnings for not catching enough criminals, and just take it slow and steady, avoiding crashing your car which I think is the most prevalent way to lose the game. I believe I was taking the acceleration upgrades and not doing the max speed upgrades. Finally, I shot all my bullets immediately and then never bought more bullets, because IMHO it's too much risk; one time I accidently hit the button while trying to do something else and got a game over.

Maybe you already knew all this, but hopefully some of that can be helpful. It's an annoying game with difficult controls and tedious gameplay, I see why it's not a popular one for this list. That said, I think it's totally beatable, though maybe the last few levels are really tough, I think I also only got to the third stage thus far.

For Motor City Patrol @Khromakis correct about ignoring your gun. Dont use it at all, it's far more likely to backfire than help. I also wouldn't worry much about maxing out your speed. most important thing it to always fully repair and then you can spend your upgrades on turbo and brakes. The most important thing is to get familiar with the map and learn a circular route that covers all the businesses you need to patrol. 95% of this game is driving in a a loop at a moderate speed just close enough to each of those hot spots on your patrol. It's very monotonous, especially in the later stages. When you get an alert your goal is to apprehend them asap by using your turbo to cut them off when you're close and then brake in front of them to stop their car. Once the arrest is over it's immediately back to your patrol loop until the next bulletin and then repeat. Takes about 4 hours of just driving in circles to clear this one. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 664/677
5 minutes ago, PII said:

I'm curious what the reasoning might be regarding the omission of the NES unlicensed game collection.  

I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone would like to weigh in on the topic before the turn of the year.

You just restarted an all about brawl between @the_wizard_666and @scaryice. How am I all out of popcorn 🍿?!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You just restarted an all about brawl between @the_wizard_666and @scaryice. How am I all out of popcorn 🍿?!

What argument?  I'll start contributing again when they're brought back in.  Until then, I don't see the point of completing ~90% of the library and calling it complete.

12 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I thought it would be Morbo and Scary duking it out actually, lol.  IIRC he was also in favor of Unlicensed games as well.  I must have missed out on that brawl whenever it took place.  I'm in favor of Unlicensed games myself.  It's been popping into my head lately and I suddenly found myself wondering what Scary's take on the matter was as I don't believe I've ever heard it..

6 minutes ago, PII said:

I thought it would be Morbo and Scary duking it out actually, lol.  IIRC he was also in favor of Unlicensed games as well.  I must have missed out on that brawl whenever it took place.  I'm in favor of Unlicensed games myself.  It's been popping into my head lately and I suddenly found myself wondering what Scary's take on the matter was as I don't believe I've ever heard it..

We both stopped participating at the same time for the same reason.  It was documented earlier in this thread as well.  I think the idea was to poll everyone involved at year end and see which way the winds were blowing, but I have no idea if that was accepted by Scary or not. 

3 minutes ago, PII said:

It's been popping into my head lately and I suddenly found myself wondering what Scary's take on the matter was as I don't believe I've ever heard it..

I think a big part of it is we dont finish all the licensed games most years. Id be all about it if we were knocking out the list we have every year

30 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I think a big part of it is we dont finish all the licensed games most years. Id be all about it if we were knocking out the list we have every year

We were for a while...we even knocked out the full unlicensed library too, with time to spare.  And honestly, with me and Basil both playing, I'm sure a few more games would be knocked out just based on that.

41 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

10 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

We were for a while...we even knocked out the full unlicensed library too, with time to spare.  And honestly, with me and Basil both playing, I'm sure a few more games would be knocked out just based on that.

I don't know who Basil is but with Morbo and Wiz playing we'd knock out the licensed stuff more quickly too.

I say let's play 'em ALL!  AND LETS FINISH THE WHOLE SHEBANG BY THE END OF JANUARY!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, PII said:

I'm curious what the reasoning might be regarding the omission of the NES unlicensed game collection. 

One simple reason: the guy running the show doesn't want to include them.  And since he does an absolutely stellar job at this, I would not want anyone else running the thread anyway.  Weird thing is that he's a Famicom collector, so it's not like he's opposed to collecting outside the US licensed releases, and they only make up like 10% of the library anyway, so it's not like it's doubling our troubles.  Really it would only add a couple of "last minute" games that no one wants to beat; the other 95% of the unlicensed library is just as easy as the first six month stuff on the licensed side.

The real problem, I think, is he just doesn't want to track Action 52, which is totally understandable, so for the sake of his sanity, I would be totally fine with a "can we beat every US NES game except Action 52" challenge, myself....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PII said:

I don't know who Basil is but with Morbo and Wiz playing we'd knock out the licensed stuff more quickly too.

I say let's play 'em ALL!  AND LETS FINISH THE WHOLE SHEBANG BY THE END OF JANUARY!!!!!!!!

In the old NA days, the large majority of us listed our real first names under our avatars, which was kinda cool because it felt like you had more of a personal connection with the community that way... 😉

And on a personal note, Wiz and I used to contribute heavily to this project (wiz started it and ran it in the early years, in fact) to such a degree that I would go over to his house every year on December 31st and we'd start planning out what games we were going to do in what order, and the second it hit midnight Eastern time, we would start banging out games, then I'd stay overnight and we'd get up on January 1 and play NES all day.  Good times, good times, but with a sad ending...

So then it happened one year: we were in the middle of our annual NES-a-thon on January 1 and one of us posted an unlicensed completion (I can't remember who) and scaryice was like, "we're not doing unlicensed this year" and we were like WTF!?!?!  The title of the thread says can we beat every NES game!!!! The only solace for me is that at least he finally changed the title of the thread so it's not a blatant lie anymore, but it would be cool if we could go back to the original intention of this project at its inception, which was: CAN WE BEAT EVERY NES GAME IN A YEAR?

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

In the old NA days, the large majority of us listed our real first names under our avatars, which was kinda cool because it felt like you had more of a personal connection with the community that way... 😉

And on a personal note, Wiz and I used to contribute heavily to this project (wiz started it and ran it in the early years, in fact) to such a degree that I would go over to his house every year on December 31st and we'd start planning out what games we were going to do in what order, and the second it hit midnight Eastern time, we would start banging out games, then I'd stay overnight and we'd get up on January 1 and play NES all day.  Good times, good times, but with a sad ending...

So then it happened one year: we were in the middle of our annual NES-a-thon on January 1 and one of us posted a completion (I can't remember who) and scaryice was like, "we're not doing unlicensed this year" and we were like WTF!?!?!  The title of the thread says can we beat every NES game!!!! The only solace for me is that at least he finally changed the title of the thread so it's not a blatant lie anymore, but it would be cool if we could go back to the original intention of this project at its inception, which was: CAN WE BEAT EVERY NES GAME IN A YEAR?

When I ran it it also included all PAL exclusives as well.  Only thing not there was the Sachen games, and that honestly owed more to the fact that I didn't know they existed when I started it off, or they most certainly would be there.  Hell, by this point, since the goal had been beaten multiple times, I likely would've added homebrew games as well. But yeah, Scary does a fantastic job running the show, so if this is how he wants to run it, that's his call.  I just don't see the point in doing what has been done multiple times before.

And it was 100% me when we found that out man.  I was in the midst of my huge unlicensed kick...think I did 5 of them that day IIRC.  I actually requested my entries to that point be removed from the list, but it didn't happen.  Needless to say, I haven't contributed a completion to the list since that day.

I'm open to discussing the boundaries of next year's competition, but my position is not very strong.

I play and enjoy many imports and unlicensed games. I see the appeal in giving participants more choices. 

I appreciate scary's desire to keep the challenge realistically beatable every year. Our overall participation has been down from NA glory years like 2015 and 2016. The only reason we got it done last year and have come so close this year is all the extra time we're spending at home under the pandemic. We've also been helped tremendously on the really unpopular stuff by crabby and table trying to beat everything, and they are both almost done with that. 

Action 52 is far from the only beast on the unlicensed side. Crystal Mines and its Wisdom Tree clones and half of the Camerica library are pretty brutal to finish. And many others just don't appeal to more than the most hardcore players. 

We actually had our second fastest run this year, but now we are in danger of failing because of nobody stepping up to the unpopular leftovers. This could be much worse if we'd started with more unpopular games. 

I mean, we could always just have two goals: Complete the licensed library and also complete the whole library. It might be tricky to figure out the point values for the unlicensed stuff, since they haven't been in the list for a lot of previous years, but I'm open to the idea of adding them.

It may distract a bit from the licensed list but it could be fun to branch out and try some games I wouldn't otherwise play, which has been the appeal of this thread from the beginning for me. I'm sure a lot of it is utter crap though, so...not necessarily the most appealing additions.

I'm kind of flip-flopping here so I'll just add one more thing: if it makes the community more cohesive and repairs bridges previously burnt, I'm all for it. My vote, if this were formalized into a vote, would be "Aye" for adding the unlicensed games.

As an aside, I've been really distracted playing FFXI (MMORPG) lately so I haven't put any time into NES completions, but I have the week after Christmas off, so I'll probably spend a significant amount of time that week working on NES games, possibly a little time before then. Let's see if we can finish strong!

• Like 1