IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

On 8/24/2021 at 8:52 PM, NESfiend said:

But I may be willing to commit to slogging through bases loaded 2 once again if a few others jump back in to make some effort. Some Koei games out there @Daniel_Doyce. Lets get @nerdynebraskanout of hiding. @BeaIankcould probably cruise through a few. @Tablew/chairsand @Crabmaster2000 can beat everything. @Gaia Gensouki, @PII, @Bearcat-Doug,  dont let the dream that has already been accomplished several times die in vain!

It may be time for you to fire up BLII as it's the most tedious one left with M&M off the list. I think we're going to get this done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

How many games do you have left? And is L'Empereur the last one on this list too?

I have ten left, 3 overlap Arknoid, last starfighter, and l’empereur but I don’t know that I’ll get to any of those this year. My goal was to get to ten by the end of the year and then hopefully finish by the end of next year so I might take it easy for awhile.

Edited by Tablew/chairs
  • Wow! 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, Khromak said:

I made a couple repro carts of Radia Senki after watching one of Voultar's videos where he recommends it. I agree with yours and @Dr. Morbis's assessments, it's a slog, quite boring, slow, and highly overrated. I mean it's not totally worthless, the music, graphics, and concept are really neat...but the core gameplay is very "meh." The AI companions are a neat idea and ahead of their time for sure, but it just fell flat for me. I think I got maybe 1/4 of the way through it? IDR exactly how far I was but I gave up a while ago.

Late, but as someone who beat Radia Senki last month, I will concur with the three of you that Radia Senki is indeed pretty meh. The game has nice production values, a neat concept, and a story that’s almost sorta trying, but too much of is just slow and backtrack-heavy and the battles are fairly easy, not all that compelling, and with the frequency of random battles they start to get pretty boring.

I will defend gamefaqs a bit though. None of those 10 reviews that gave it sky-high scores is from later than 2006 and the user average score is a still-overrated-but-comparatively-sane 3.82/5. You shoulda figured something was up!

On 9/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, MagusSmurf said:

Late, but as someone who beat Radia Senki last month, I will concur with the three of you that Radia Senki is indeed pretty meh. The game has nice production values, a neat concept, and a story that’s almost sorta trying, but too much of is just slow and backtrack-heavy and the battles are fairly easy, not all that compelling, and with the frequency of random battles they start to get pretty boring.

I will defend gamefaqs a bit though. None of those 10 reviews that gave it sky-high scores is from later than 2006 and the user average score is a still-overrated-but-comparatively-sane 3.82/5. You shoulda figured something was up!

At this point I've played most of the good Famicom only stuff, so I'm having to dig a bit deeper. As for action rpgs, I do want to play a few more - Grand Master is one that immediately comes to mind.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

How many games do you have left?

Just "beat" Stack-Up tonight which means I've got 12 left to go. I'm also on Lesson 32/36 of Miracle Piano so hopefully not too much longer on that one. Starting on Mach Rider right now and @BeaIankjust sent me some great tips and vids to help me along with Championship Pool so I'm feeling pretty good about this!

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 644/677

Kung Fu Heroes is down! Not too rough for one that's always among the last few left. I took the past advice of several people here and saved the power pill for the last stage (even though the record speedrun uses it in 7-4). I did barely make it to the goal, jumping over enemies instinctively while on my last life, as one does in this game. Overall, it's fun but a bit too unforgiving to be something you can play casually. You have to know what each item does, which you absolutely won't without reading about it. Add that to the system of items in random blocks and sometimes just in a random spot, and that's a recipe for a rough time playing blind. Plus unfortunately, there's no reason to play through the whole thing rather than warping, since you can't get more than 9 lives.

ttKjoYE.png

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

I beat Ultima: Exodus. We don't need it for the thread, I just want to point out that 3 people in this thread beat Ultima: Exodus this year so if it's ever languishing on the nobody wants to play it list you can be motivated by all the 2021 completions.

Melee combat in this game is absolutely useless and ranged combat is close to useless. I swapped out a paladin for a second wizard a good ways into the game. If I played through again, which I certainly won't, I'd probably do two wizards, two clerics. Maybe even three wizards, one cleric. Magic is definitely the way to go.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Melee combat in this game is absolutely useless and ranged combat is close to useless. I swapped out a paladin for a second wizard a good ways into the game. If I played through again, which I certainly won't, I'd probably do two wizards, two clerics. Maybe even three wizards, one cleric. Magic is definitely the way to go.

Thanks for the heads up; it's one of the last NES RPG's I have left to play through, and I'm not looking forward to it, to put it mildly.  And I know it's an easy beat if you stay massively under-levelled on purpsose, but that's obviously not playing through as intended and not really in the spirit of the game, so I won't be doing that whenever I get around to conquering this archaic beast...

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 645/677
On 9/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, nerdynebraskan said:

It may be time for you to fire up BLII as it's the most tedious one left with M&M off the list. I think we're going to get this done. 

Finally got around to BL2. 3-0 start. Still thinking this list gets finished this year? I want to be pretty damn sure if Im going to slog thru another 80ish wins

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Finally got around to BL2. 3-0 start. Still thinking this list gets finished this year? I want to be pretty damn sure if Im going to slog thru another 80ish wins

I know things have slowed down a lot, but we still had a player who hadn't contributed yet this year drop in and claim what might have been the hardest game left on the list. We've still got a pretty good shot at this. There are a few left I'd like to try, but I'm not sure if I have enough time or energy to go for it yet.

4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I know things have slowed down a lot, but we still had a player who hadn't contributed yet this year drop in and claim what might have been the hardest game left on the list. We've still got a pretty good shot at this. There are a few left I'd like to try, but I'm not sure if I have enough time or energy to go for it yet.

Ok. Ill keep going casually. My wife is pregnant and due in jan, so we plan to be shut in most of December to avoid covid risks. As long as I make some progress here and there, I can power thru in December to finish out if it looks like we close to beating them all. Weekly contest stuff will be done then too

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 646/677
On 10/15/2021 at 8:14 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm not working on anything at the moment, but I can probably grind something out in a couple weeks. I haven't previously beaten anything that's left.

Edited by scaryice

Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but what is the winning condition for Days of Thunder? Do you have to win the championship, i.e. get the first place or is just getting to the end enough? Last year there was only the ending screen which you get either way. I was still missing 120 points to get first place. Maybe if anyone has a piece of advice that would be much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but what is the winning condition for Days of Thunder? Do you have to win the championship, i.e. get the first place or is just getting to the end enough? Last year there was only the ending screen which you get either way. I was still missing 120 points to get first place. Maybe if anyone has a piece of advice that would be much appreciated.

We've always required getting first place. This may help you a bit:

https://takeontheneslibrary.com/finished/164-days-of-thunder/