IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

17 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Cross referenced my list with the one on here and I've got 4 left I can help with for this year. So if no one wants to play these games I'll definitely get to them at some point:

Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge, F-117A Stealth Fighter, Mutant Virus, Star Soldier. 

Also just a fun note that I've played through a few games this week that have already been beaten, but it puts my total games also at 625 licensed games beaten!

Have fun with that one man...it's hard as hell.  Took me a week, leaving the game on pause so I didn't lose my progress.  Unlimited continues, but no passwords, and even when you figure out where to properly deploy your items, the execution is a pain in the arse.  Even when I beat it, I didn't feel like I did anything different, just got lucky.

• Sad 1

On 5/4/2021 at 3:51 PM, WashYourFace said:

70 games finished! Something happened today. I got a picture. Something different! I'm in the playoffs!! Does this mean gameplay will change in some way? Will something new happen?? No. It's exactly the same. Just keep playing and winning games. Nothing ever changes.

bases_loaded4_league_champs.jpg

What... what happened? I don't understand. Super Series Champion? And no password? It's... over?  It's OVER. Hahahahaha IT'S OVER!!!!!  What do I do now? It's been so long since I played any other game. It will take time to get used to this.

In all seriousness, this is without a doubt the worst game I've ever played, in terms of repetitive, boring, grinding the same thing over and over. Worse than Rampage, or Elite, or any other sports game. The only thing that comes close is some gambling games where you have to keep putting money on roulette over and over, and hope you win. But at least you know what you're getting into there. This was not fun. It "functions" as a sort of baseball game, but after 1 game, there is no reason to ever play again, because they are all the same. Sure lots of other baseball games are the same way, but 74 games (*wins) to beat the game is stupid and pointless. What were they thinking. And Bases Loaded 1&2 require more games, but somehow they weren't quite as mind-numbingly boring as this. Probably because you can cheese those ones and they are a lot easier.

bases_loaded4_1.jpg

Edited by WashYourFace
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

11 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

What... what happened? I don't understand. Super Series Champion? And no password? It's... over?  It's OVER. Hahahahaha IT'S OVER!!!!!  What do I do now? It's been so long since I played any other game. It will take time to get used to this.

In all seriousness, this is without a doubt the worst game I've ever played, in terms of repetitive, boring, grinding the same thing over and over. Worse than Rampage, or Elite, or any other sports game. The only thing that comes close is some gambling games where you have to keep putting money on roulette over and over, and hope you win. But at least you know what you're getting into there. This was not fun. It "functions" as a sort of baseball game, but after 1 game, there is no reason to ever play again, because they are all the same. Sure lots of other baseball games are the same way, but 74 games (*wins) to beat the game is stupid and pointless. What were they thinking. And Bases Loaded 1&2 require more games, but somehow they weren't quite as mind-numbingly boring as this. Probably because you can cheese those ones and they are a lot easier.

bases_loaded4_1.jpg

It took me years to adapt to life after Bases Loaded. It's truly an exciting new world now that you're free!

• Haha 1

Ultima 4: quest of the avatar is done. I can't imagine trying to beat it without a guide. I'm sure it's possible but there are so many secrets, hidden doorways, and obscure bs that it would be a struggle. With a walkthrough, though, it's actually a pretty enjoyable and very unique game

Ultima4QuestOfTheAvatar.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 627/677

Awesome to see another long sports game down, and we're down to the final 50! Only 21/50 games remaining were also in the final 50 last year, interestingly. In the four previous times we've finished the list (2012, 2015, 2016, 2020), the only game to be in the final 50 each time was Super Glove Ball, which is already completed for this year. Games which were there 3/4 times and are also there this year: Back to the Future II/III, Destination Earth Star, Genghis Khan, Kung Fu Heroes, and To the Earth.

17 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I still have #3 to beat 😞 Maybe next year.

3 is the best of the bunch in terms of beating it. Instead of playing a whole season of baseball you only have to play one single game.....it just has to be perfect!

Had a Star Soldier run that got to stage 15/16 yesterday. Had plenty of lives too and then just choked. 

10 hours ago, Khromak said:

Ultima 4: quest of the avatar is done. I can't imagine trying to beat it without a guide. I'm sure it's possible but there are so many secrets, hidden doorways, and obscure bs that it would be a struggle. With a walkthrough, though, it's actually a pretty enjoyable and very unique game

Ultima4QuestOfTheAvatar.jpg

I beat it without a guide back in the early 90's. It helps that it is one of my favorite games. It's got a few issues though (like bugs). Hand-drawing the maps of the dungeons is a pain. Just be glad you don't have to manually mix reagents like in the PC version.

5 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

3 is the best of the bunch in terms of beating it. Instead of playing a whole season of baseball you only have to play one single game.....it just has to be perfect!

This is incorrect, but not by much. You have to play the perfect game against a level 5 team. You have to start with a level 1 team. If you play that game really well, you CAN move right to a level 5 team for game 2, but usually I get sent to a level 4 team. Beat them with few mistakes, youll get a level 5 team. Then you have to be "perfect," but not really. 

You are docked for every mistake, BUT you can earn some bonus points that make up for a mistake or two with great plays (diving catches for sure, maybe double plays too). 

It can be accomplished an hour or so if you are good at the game

Edited by NESfiend

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

This is incorrect, but not by much. You have to play the perfect game against a level 5 team. You have to start with a level 1 team. If you play that game really well, you CAN move right to a level 5 team for game 2, but usually I get sent to a level 4 team. Beat them with few mistakes, youll get a level 5 team. Then you have to be "perfect," but not really. 

You are docked for every mistake, BUT you can earn some bonus points that make up for a mistake or two with great plays (diving catches for sure, maybe double plays too). 

It can be accomplished an hour or so if you are good at the game

Thanks for the clarification. It's been a few years since I played through that one. 

Was able to get a win on Star Soldier just now. Made it through the last 3 levels on my final credit, which is nerve-racking.  
It was a challenge for sure, but easier than many other early shmups due to short levels, easy bosses, shields, screen clears and a great powerup if you can mash faster than the auto fire. 

Star Soldier - Ending.PNG

• Like 1

Time Lord is completed! It's short, but with no continues, it's certainly not easy. My first try on the final boss, I beat it on the last hit of my last life, which felt amazing. Overall, it only took maybe 3-4 hours? I had played it a bit a few years ago, and of course I watched some speedruns to help. But not that rough for a game that's gone unbeaten four times in the past. Of course, the game itself is not great.

aHKNooA.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 629/677
1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Time Lord is completed! It's short, but with no continues, it's certainly not easy. My first try on the final boss, I beat it on the last hit of my last life, which felt amazing. Overall, it only took maybe 3-4 hours? I had played it a bit a few years ago, and of course I watched some speedruns to help. But not that rough for a game that's gone unbeaten four times in the past. Of course, the game itself is not great.

aHKNooA.png

That is super impressive. That game took me a hell of a lot longer than. 3-4 hours to clear.

4 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I tried Digger T. Rock and made it to the last level, and got my ass kicked by the first dinosaur. Is there a way to kill this thing? Hmph.

I read a walkthrough which suggested you'd need a bunch of dynamite for the last level, or some other weapons. Perhaps that's what you ran into? I'm not very familiar with the game, just watched some videos of gameplay and read some parts of that walkthrough/guide.

36 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I read a walkthrough which suggested you'd need a bunch of dynamite for the last level, or some other weapons. Perhaps that's what you ran into? I'm not very familiar with the game, just watched some videos of gameplay and read some parts of that walkthrough/guide.

Yeah I read the walkthrough, and it says to knock it back with dynamite, and jump over it. I would think there would be a way to just kill it though. I guess I just gotta time it.

2 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I tried Digger T. Rock and made it to the last level, and got my ass kicked by the first dinosaur. Is there a way to kill this thing? Hmph.

There's been basically zero discussion of that game in all the years of these threads, so I can't say...

12 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

That is super impressive. That game took me a hell of a lot longer than. 3-4 hours to clear.

It wasn't that bad looking up what to do. I'm more impressed with beating Star Soldier, honestly.

• Thanks 1

Well. I made it to the last door but didn't make it before it closed, and died. Bleh. Yeah, I see they meant for you to scare the dinosaurs back with dynamite and jump over them. That's weird though. This game has the classic Rare stench, of a game that is almost good, but isn't due to cheapness. I've pretty much memorized the first 4 levels (never played beyond level 1 before today) and I think I figured out a better way to do level 8 than the walkthough says. Stay tuned.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 630/677

I've been playing Air Fortress (a much more annoying game than Time Lord, in my opinion). Finally made it through the first half/loop. I'm using maps and it's still rough - had to clear out the escape route completely for stage 8 to be able to make it in time after several failures.

God damn, the later parts of Destination Earthstar are insanely tough. The Starfox-type stages are pretty much impossible to die on once you get the hang of it, but the shooter stages get pretty brutally difficult. I'm currently working on the last one which is insanely hard.

I will try practicing each of the shooter stages a bunch of times to see if I can get them all down to a science, but there's some chance it will just be outside my abilities. I was feeling quite confident up 'till the last one but dang if it isn't a real pain.

Definitely going to give it some more time, figured I'd chat with you all about it.

• Love 1