IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 647/677
3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Okay, thanks for the reply and the help. Thanks to some of the little hints from Arnpoly I finally managed to beat Days of Thunder🥳

Nice, way to go! It also looks like nerdynebraskan has clinched the overall title for 2021 for the 4th straight year, and 5th time overall!

• Love 1

@nerdynebraskan

Looking at the list, tecmo cup soccer jumped off the page at me. Ill keep slogging away at bl2, but we will need someone to jump on tecmo cup sooner rather than later to have a shot. Its a LOT of games and not easy. Ill be a lot more encoraged to play baseball if someone claims that. 

Also, congrats on overall champ once again!

• Love 1

If I had some ideas of a decent strategy to winning Tecmo Cup Soccer I could put in the time, I've got lots of free time and need to get some points to beat @Gaia Gensouki. If anyone knows the game and can provide some pointers I'd give it a shot.

I've also considered beating a few other games on the list but it's pretty daunting. I've got plenty of time but I have some concerns about skill when it comes to stuff like difficult shooters or Arkanoid, for example.

• Like 1

Yeah, Nerdy is insane with his 168 games beaten and the consistency with which he pulls off his victories. So congratulations on the title once again!

Also, I have to secure my second, or least third place in this competition. Maybe I'll give Ultima V another shot, unless someone is already playing it right now. I tried it many weeks ago and wasn't impressed by it. But maybe it's something that you can grind out. I'm also starting to have some fun again playing various retro games (although the current selection isn't too enticing). For a while I felt really burnt out.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

If I had some ideas of a decent strategy to winning Tecmo Cup Soccer I could put in the time, I've got lots of free time and need to get some points to beat @Gaia Gensouki. If anyone knows the game and can provide some pointers I'd give it a shot.

Id check with whoever beat it last year. @scaryicecould prob tell you who that was. Ive beat the game but its been years. You could probably get thru the first half no guide or help. You might try 2 or 3 games and see if you like it. I personally REALLY like it, but its def a time sink. Im not sure how helpful a guide or advice would be. 

TCS is almost like ghosts n goblins where you have to beat it twice. You play through a season, win, and think its over only to have your star players recruited for a national team wherein a whole new season begins. Its fun at first because your team gets all best players you played against in season 1, including a GK who is like a wolfman. Its thrilling at first, but about halfway through season 2 youll be ready for it to be over 

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Id check with whoever beat it last year. @scaryicecould prob tell you who that was. Ive beat the game but its been years. You could probably get thru the first half no guide or help. You might try 2 or 3 games and see if you like it. I personally REALLY like it, but its def a time sink. Im not sure how helpful a guide or advice would be.

That would be Tablew/chairs - can't really find any discussion of strategy over the years in these threads, mostly just people talking about it being long.

Edited by scaryice

Tecmo Cup Soccer doesn't really need any deep strategy. Even when you lose a match you get to keep your XP so when you retry it you'll have a stronger team. There is a little luck involved at times, but I don't think I ever got stuck on a match that I didn't beat the second attempt because of that. Took just over 9 hours going in blind. It's super fun in the first half and the music and graphics are fantastic.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 648/677
18 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

good news i beat the last star fighter, this game seems impossible at first but it's really about memorizing the levels and figuring out where you need to be when the enemies enter the screen

What's the trick to landing successfully? I played Last Starfighter a bit but couldn't get the hang of that part.

4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

What's the trick to landing successfully? I played Last Starfighter a bit but couldn't get the hang of that part.

First thing is to be more to the right side(more toward the bottom of the screen) of the runway than you would think, this is because I guess the view isn’t directly overhead so when the ship comes down it doesn’t come straight down so if you’re too far up on the screen it won’t let you land cause you’re not actually over the runway even though it appears you are

second you don’t want to be just one tap from turning around you want to be a little faster that way if you’re not successful with the first attempt you’ll still continue moving right and can attempt to land again whereas if you are at the speed of just barely going right and miss the landing your ships turns, starts heading left and you can’t land heading left

third and this might not help you but it worked for me, I pressed left and A at the same time my only reasoning is that it seems like a really specific press of left that lands you and tapping them both at the same time seemed to prevent me from holding down on left too long and turning me instead of landing

lastly I think the runways won’t let you land unless you start by flying over the farthest left part of the runway first so you cant just fly up over any part of the runway and attempt your landing you need to be moving right over the start of the runway and then land

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laser Invasion is finished! Ok, techincally it was the Japanese version, Gun Sight. But it still counts nonetheless. I used a regular controller, and it took maybe 3 hours with a guide? I'm sure the maze sections would've been much more frustrating without one. Also, the Japanese version has passwords, so you can start off on the last stage and not have to replay the whole thing. Meanwhile, the American version does have more lives and continues, but no passwords. So with that version, you'd probably have to start all over a few times to get through it.

Overall, I don't care for these types of flying games, but it was more fun than I expected. That's 8 bit Konami for you!

xQrx7wF.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 649/677

Started playing Tecmo Cup Soccer Game today...It's an interesting one for sure. Some people online said that while the opposing players are running down the field you need to use A/B to change players and chase down the opposing player. That's kinda weird though because there's nothing on the screen to indicate that? Am I supposed to be doing something on defense? Seems like the opponents regularly catch me with 2-4 players, and I rarely ever catch them and they just run 3/4 of the field unmolested and shoot from 2 inches away from the goal.

Other than the defense part, I think I get the game pretty well. Maybe I'm just unlucky or don't have good enough players yet, but I'm definitely not winning almost all matches first try or second try guaranteed. I lost 2 or 3, won 1 0-0 in penalty kicks, and won a single game on my own merits.

Am I crazy about this defense thing? I've tried holding dpad in the direction they're going, tried alternating A and B, all kinds of random stuff but nothing seems to work. If I could actually see where my defenders were, it would make a lot more sense.

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Started playing Tecmo Cup Soccer Game today...It's an interesting one for sure. Some people online said that while the opposing players are running down the field you need to use A/B to change players and chase down the opposing player. That's kinda weird though because there's nothing on the screen to indicate that? Am I supposed to be doing something on defense? Seems like the opponents regularly catch me with 2-4 players, and I rarely ever catch them and they just run 3/4 of the field unmolested and shoot from 2 inches away from the goal.

Other than the defense part, I think I get the game pretty well. Maybe I'm just unlucky or don't have good enough players yet, but I'm definitely not winning almost all matches first try or second try guaranteed. I lost 2 or 3, won 1 0-0 in penalty kicks, and won a single game on my own merits.

Am I crazy about this defense thing? I've tried holding dpad in the direction they're going, tried alternating A and B, all kinds of random stuff but nothing seems to work. If I could actually see where my defenders were, it would make a lot more sense.

Thats interesting about what you read on switching players on d to chase the offense down. I dont recall ever knowing that. Far as I remember, you cant do anything on defense until your player(s) approach the guy with the ball. I recall playing offense very conservatively to dominate time of possession. Only pass to players with no defensive players in path of ball. Play up wings, especially with brett, then cross into middle close to the goal. Play defense via offense. Itll tell you where their players are and you can see which players will have nothing but green in front of them of they get the ball. 

Thats based on a pretty old memory and maybe there is a way to play more d that I never knew, but I did beat it at one point with that strategy. 

Also, if you have 3 people approach the ball, tackle with your strongest and cut with the others. Cut intercepts passes and multiple defenders approaching makes cpu more likely to pass

Edit: @Tablew/chairs, did you use the defensive strat he read about online?

Edited by NESfiend

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Thats interesting about what you read on switching players on d to chase the offense down. I dont recall ever knowing that. Far as I remember, you cant do anything on defense until your player(s) approach the guy with the ball. I recall playing offense very conservatively to dominate time of possession. Only pass to players with no defensive players in path of ball. Play up wings, especially with brett, then cross into middle close to the goal. Play defense via offense. Itll tell you where their players are and you can see which players will have nothing but green in front of them of they get the ball. 

Thats based on a pretty old memory and maybe there is a way to play more d that I never knew, but I did beat it at one point with that strategy. 

Also, if you have 3 people approach the ball, tackle with your strongest and cut with the others. Cut intercepts passes and multiple defenders approaching makes cpu more likely to pass

Edit: @Tablew/chairs, did you use the defensive strat he read about online?

I have a vague memory of playing but I don’t recall being able to do anything on defense I would try holding the control pad and moving toward where the ball was but I don’t think it did anything, it’s a tough game for sure and I don’t think my experience was winning every other game

I already asked about Ultima V and actually started it. Currently I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out how it all works. It's a pretty complicated game. I went through 2 dungeons, but don't know what I'm supposed to do there. Then there are also the statues that send me towards the Shrine of Codex. No idea, how I'm supposed to get there, yet.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 650/677

I beat the original tournament so I guess I'm about halfway through tecmo cup soccer game. I'll leave my comments and advice for my final post when I finish it, but there's definitely some strategy involved. It reminds me a lot of blitzball from ffx, it's pretty fun albeit a bit simple and seemingly random

20211026_133840.jpg

• Like 1

Finally beat tecmo cup soccer game, this game is a doozy for sure. Actually quite fun, but I was raging at the rng many times. I believe that you're supposed to lose each tournament a few times to build up your guys' skills. I'm pretty sure the ai gets worse or their skill lowers as you play the same tournament multiple times. It plays a lot like a real time strategy game, so you may enjoy it even if you don't typically like sports games, like me. 

Tips for goalkeeping: I believe catch is a 50/50 guess, left or right, i pretty much never picked that because it's a crapshoot, but if you catch it you can pass at least. Punch is what I used most of the time, it has a pretty good accuracy, but in the end the ball gets loose so anyone can pick it up. Once you get to a certain point you get a new keeper who has an awesome ability which is almost guaranteed to catch, and you don't have to guess a side. You have limited energy for it, but it's huge. 

Tips for offense: it's a bit like blitzball like I said earlier, your main character and eventually some you recruit later have special moves, these are huge for scoring as they seem to greatly increase power. You want to get as close as you can to the net before shooting, which can be done by dribbling past your opponents or by careful passes. When advancing i would frequently stop to "pass" so I could see where the players were all at and make strategic decisions. If you pass, any opponents between you and the passee will get a chance to block it. Especially in the late games, you should very rarely make passes past a defender as they will almost always intercept. If you pass to someone who is within the goal lines, they get a chance to volley, head shot, bicycle kick, etc. Which i believe also get a bonus. It can also help to have a lot of your players near the goal for rebounds, so the more time you can spend down there the better. 

Tips for defense: early on, tackle seemed to be the best because you would often get the ball off someone, in the end game it seemed to almost never work. Cut will attempt to block passes and shots, and can be quite useful if you predict what they're going to do. Wait is seemingly useless, and I didn't have a lot of success with Mark. I think theoretically it's supposed to stop them from passing or shooting but doesn't really have a lasting effect and mostly missed. 

TecmoCupSoccerGame.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 651/677

Next up I'll probably either do Dance Aerobics, take another stab at Destination: Earthstar, or start working on Boulder Dash, since it has passwords.

I've got save states at the beginning of all the shooter stages of DE, but haven't gone back to it since I did that practice way back when because it's so intimidating. I feel like in theory I could memorize/practice all the stages so I can beat it, but those levels are brutally difficult, especially the later ones.