IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 641/677
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting sad seeing this thread go so quiet without too many games left to beat. I dont have the skill for the top 2 or 3 percent of games on the difficulty scale. But I may be willing to commit to slogging through bases loaded 2 once again if a few others jump back in to make some effort. Some Koei games out there @Daniel_Doyce. Lets get @nerdynebraskanout of hiding. @BeaIankcould probably cruise through a few. @Tablew/chairsand @Crabmaster2000 can beat everything. @Gaia Gensouki, @PII, @Bearcat-Doug, @Khromak, dont let the dream that has already been accomplished several times die in vain!

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

@BeaIankcould probably cruise through a few.

Free time is a major factor right now.
I am barely being able to run the weekly contests properly as it is.
Still gotta record Championship Pool footage for @Crabmaster2000 and just couldn't get to it in months. I hope to manage to do it on the next holiday that appears here in Brazil.
If things slow down after September, I will try to tackle something here.
Odds are low, though.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Getting sad seeing this thread go so quiet without too many games left to beat. I dont have the skill for the top 2 or 3 percent of games on the difficulty scale. But I may be willing to commit to slogging through bases loaded 2 once again if a few others jump back in to make some effort. Some Koei games out there @Daniel_Doyce. Lets get @nerdynebraskanout of hiding. @BeaIankcould probably cruise through a few. @Tablew/chairsand @Crabmaster2000 can beat everything. @Gaia Gensouki, @PII, @Bearcat-Doug, @Khromak, dont let the dream that has already been accomplished several times die in vain!

I did manage to finish a personal best 53 games this year. Basically everything left is something I've never even played or haven't been able to finish before. I'm basically in the same situation as @BeaIank where I just haven't had the time to work on anything lately. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

As is the case with many others here, I'm out of games that I know I can beat and I have very little time or energy to pick up something of the likes of the final 5% of the NES catalog. Actually, I haven't fired up any of my consoles in months. 

I would still like to score my 5000th point this year, and I would only need two more completions to get there. And there are games on the board that interest me. But I just don't know if I will be able to get back to it right now. 

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I've got 15 games left to beat before I can confirm that I can actually "beat everything" ;). And that's my focus right now unfortunately. Until I beat those 15 I won't be helping out with this challenge as a player. There's maybe 3-4 games left here that I'd actually be interested in playing again if they are still unbeaten later in the year, but a lot of those were rough enough the first time through that I don't have much desire to tackle them again. 

In thrilled to help other players succeed though. For example I see someone just posted asking for tips on Might & Magic so I'd better respond to that so we can get that massive time sink dealt with!

I'm going through a big move right now so all my NES consoles are currently packed up. The other thing holding me back lately has been a minor addiction to FFXI...Once I settle in at my new place in a couple weeks I'll set up my gaming setup again and hopefully jump back into the contest for a couple games.

2 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

I’m about to start might and magic if anyone has some tips

Biggest tip is to use maps. This is easily the biggest dungeon crawler on the system in terms of the scope of the maps. Even some of the towns and castles can be confusing to navigate and littered with traps. The quickest way to progress is to find spots that you like to grind and get your characters up as much as you're willing to and then just push forward as much as you can without worrying about fighting every battle until you get to the next safe spot to grind and then when you are comfortable back track a bit to collect important items or complete worthwhile quests. 

http://addictedgamewise.com/guides/might-magic-series/might-and-magic-book-one-a-newbie-friendly-walkthrough/#coral

This is a great guide to the game and one I referenced quite a bit. Has decent maps and also directs you to the next objectives, which is great because this game is EXTREMELY vague in how it tells you where to go next and you were more meant to just explore until you stumble across certain things. 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587457-might-and-magic-secret-of-the-inner-sanctum/faqs/7959

This guide has some great advice on areas to grind and good info on items/spells/monsters and early game stuff to know. 

I took a quick look through the maps to see if I could remember where it is (I couldn't locate it), but there is a mandatory fight in the NES version of the game (it's a set fight on the way to a key item you need to complete the game so it can't be avoided) that is poorly programed on the NES version and is a much higher level battle than it should be for where it is placed in the game. It's right smack in the middle somewhere and it is a huge barrier and takes a bunch of grinding and a little luck to get past. This was the toughest fight in the game for me by far. The good news is that once you break through that the rest of the game should be a breeze especially since there is no final boss only a final maze, but with a map that should be a piece of cake. 

If you run into anything specific you have questions about that either of those guides don't answer feel free to reach out to me and I can reference my videos and hopefully answer that for you. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000
spells badly
  • Thanks 1

The guide on GameFAQs has a quick route through Might & Magic that basically just does the essential stuff.  It's in section 9 of the guide.  That said, it skips like 95% of the game, so use it only if you wanna knock it off as quick as possible.  If you wanna enjoy the game, skip it... just thought I'd mention it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 1:41 AM, Daniel_Doyce said:

I will do the Koei games before the end of the year if no one else does, but someone had mentioned they were going to try all of them (don't remember who offhand).

I can do Break Time soon since it's just a matter of brute forcing it.

I believe table needs to do L'Empereur for his personal list this year, so you're off the hook for that. 

Gaia tried Genghis Khan, but didn't like it. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. 

L'Empereur is on my short list of games to beat as well after I got so goddamn close a few years back (battery crapped out on me just as I'd defeated Russia and just had England to deal with).  Of course, I'm still feeling spiteful so there's no way I'm gonna post when/if I beat it, so that point is moot.  But in the interest of helping, Genghis Khan is definitely the easier of the two though.  I'm not sure if there's a requirement to play through the Mongol Conquest first, but it's the best way to go for a new player.  The map is smaller, the foes are somewhat easier, and there's a bit less to deal with overall - it's kinda like a tutorial mode.  The bonus is that you can choose better generals to take with you to World Conquest than you would default to by starting there, plus you'll start WC with a better position (and possibly even earlier timewise) than by starting there.  As for L'Empereur, I would also start in the first scenario.  Only the fourth gives an ending (the rest progress into the next one), but by playing the long game you will be eased into game mechanics, and likely have a better overall position by the time you make Emperor.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:34 PM, Crabmaster2000 said:

To anyone who can answer: what's the "win condition" for Mach Rider?

I know I wrote about it in the thread the year I beat it but the way I remember it is 10 gets you to the end but it doesn’t actually loop until after 20.  The win condition here says loops after 10 which I’m pretty sure is inaccurate again if my memory is right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

Mach Rider has come up for discussion a lot in the past, and I believe my argument was that the first 10 & second 10 sets of tracks are like the first & second quest in Zelda. Since you don't get any new results or progress screens for the second set.

So what's the actual difference in 11-20? Is it the same courses just with different object placements?

14 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

So what's the actual difference in 11-20? Is it the same courses just with different object placements?

I don't know how different they are. But I do know that there are actually 40 different stages, since by pressing A or B you're selecting different ones. So even if you were to play through 11-20, you can only play half of the game's tracks in a single playthrough.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 642/677
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 643/677