IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, WashYourFace said:

It was already beaten for this thread, but I finally beat Ultima III: Exodus. At last, vengeance for this game that had me stumped as a kid. As an extra challenge, I beat it entirely with no online help. Drawing maps on graph paper - old school. I had to look up a hint just for 1 thing at very end (SPOILER):

Hide contents

Because how the hell would I know to Pray at the top of this random room that looks nothing like an "altar"???

There are some really cool things with this game, but it is SEVERELY flawed. So frustrating, because with some easy adjustments, it could be great like Ultima IV is.

That is extremely impressive!! Well done 

• 2 weeks later...

Halfway through 2021, and we're in the midst of the usual slowdown for the last 100 or so games. There aren't too many fast or easy games left, but I still feel good about our chances since we're already only at 41 left. That's only a couple of games each for the top 15-20 people who post here... I know I'll probably slog my way through a few at some point.

I haven't tried to beat anything since Rally Bike, but I did check out Radia Senki on the Famicom. It's an action rpg from Tecmo, and it has a ton of good reviews on Gamefaqs. But, I couldn't get into it and quit after an hour or so. It just seemed too generic, with the real time battle system lacking any intensity. Also, I want to note that the name of one of the first areas in the game is "Belzend." I thought to myself: 'great, another translator thinks he's funny.' But, it actually turns out to have the same name in the Japanese version. So that's the most memorable part of playing it for me.

I'm also working on ranking Mega Man 3's robot masters. I did that several years ago on Nintendo Age for Mega Man 1-2, where I would rank them in five categories (Design, Music, Stage, Fight, Weapon) and tally the results. For MM1, Guts Man was ranked first and Bomb Man was ranked last. For MM2, Bubble Man was first and Heat Man was last. I've already finished the rankings for MM3 and I'm writing it up now, so expect a thread on that sometime this month.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

I did check out Radia Senki on the Famicom. It's an action rpg from Tecmo, and it has a ton of good reviews on Gamefaqs. But, I couldn't get into it and quit after an hour or so. It just seemed too generic, with the real time battle system lacking any intensity.

Yeah, Radia Senki is waaaay overrated and I, too, had to force myself to slog through it.  The bright side is that it's basically a walkover in the sense that there is almost zero difficulty to the game, so it's more a challenge to just force yourself to put in the hours...

Bases Loaded 4 is coming up on my list, thought I'd check here to see if it was still available, and it's already done.  😄

I would have contributed more this year had things lined up differently.  I started playing Ultima 3 around Thanksgiving and didn't finish it until April (couldn't beat it without hints but got close enough that I'm satisfied) so that hamstrung me all year for the thread, aside from a TMNT run right after the new year.  It's very unlikely that our lists will overlap this year but if it does I'll be happy to help.

15 hours ago, arnpoly said:

I started playing Ultima 3 around Thanksgiving and didn't finish it until April (couldn't beat it without hints but got close enough that I'm satisfied)

For what it's worth, Ultima III has at least one crucial line of dialogue that doesn't show up in-game because of a bug. Someone did a patch at ROMHacking.net to fix this and other issues.

Recently I was lacking both energy and time to contribute here. I did give Genghis Khan (and some other games) a few tries here and there, but I've never made it far and still don't really understand this game. The manual also isn't all that helpful, so I'll probably give up on this one.

Unfortunately the other games aren't all that doable either. Some of them I couldn't even finish last year and for games like Crash 'n the Boys or Track and Field II I just can't push the buttons quick enough to have a realistic chance. There's a reason why Caveman Games is the only sports game of this kind that I enjoy.

Maybe I'll give something else a try, but at this point it's really hard to finish anything of what's left.

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

I am just over halfway through Miracle Piano. Probably still 2 weeks away from finishing it. After that though I'll get started on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge and then my family will be gone for a week so I should be able to find a day where I can just leave my NES running and try to plow through Mutant Virus during the first week of August

On 7/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, scaryice said:

I haven't tried to beat anything since Rally Bike, but I did check out Radia Senki on the Famicom. It's an action rpg from Tecmo, and it has a ton of good reviews on Gamefaqs. But, I couldn't get into it and quit after an hour or so. It just seemed too generic, with the real time battle system lacking any intensity. Also, I want to note that the name of one of the first areas in the game is "Belzend." I thought to myself: 'great, another translator thinks he's funny.' But, it actually turns out to have the same name in the Japanese version. So that's the most memorable part of playing it for me.

I made a couple repro carts of Radia Senki after watching one of Voultar's videos where he recommends it. I agree with yours and @Dr. Morbis's assessments, it's a slog, quite boring, slow, and highly overrated. I mean it's not totally worthless, the music, graphics, and concept are really neat...but the core gameplay is very "meh." The AI companions are a neat idea and ahead of their time for sure, but it just fell flat for me. I think I got maybe 1/4 of the way through it? IDR exactly how far I was but I gave up a while ago.

I think I may have finally a new submission. I got first in the league mode of Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge. I didn't score first on every track though. But somehow it was still enough to win first place since this game does not have rubber banding like Mario Kart where there is a fixed rival who's always behind you meaning that the leading racers changed every time and I was still far ahead.

The controls of this game are actually surprisingly good. It feels more similar to Rad Racer than a regular F1 racer. However, the enemy racers were incredibly good in this game and you had to drive pretty much perfectly, which quite a tough challenge considering that every race consists of 5 laps and therefore took me between 6 and 8 minutes on average. It's much easier to mess up during such long races rather than in Rad Racer where the individual tracks were fairly short. Also, this game throws an insane amount of obstacles at you, be it other drivers that conveniently drive in your way causing a crash, or oil spills that cause you to spin around. The CPU drivers are, of course, not affected by this. Sometimes another car would also suddenly burst up in flames and zigzag all around the track and if you even just slightly touch them you immediately die.

So overall this game had some good stuff going for it, but due to its unfair difficulty it's no surprise to me that barely anyone ever feels like finishing this one.

Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Well done! Speaking of racing I started working on Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge. I've got the oval tracks figured out, but the other two courses are killing me. Feel like if I can just figure one of the two out I should be able to be points leader after the 8 races, but I definitely can't go forward being bad at both of them.

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Dummy

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 637/677
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 638/677

Started Megami Tensei 1 on the Famicom, with the English translation. Unfortunately, after only 2-3 or so hours of play I already got a in-battle crash which cost me half an hour of progress. It seems like bugs are common with this patch, which makes me not want to continue. I guess I'll play the actual Japanese cart if I decide to beat it. There isn't too much text so it shouldn't be too difficult.

I did post my Mega Man 3 robot master rankings the other day:

Was finally able to beat Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge tonight. Been working on it for a bit, but then had a vacation for a week and had to relearn it. It is very unforgiving, no room for mistakes at all or Bill Elliot will eat your lunch. I have tomorrow put aside to work on Mutant Virus for as long as it takes so I'm hoping I can finish that off soon as well. 

Bill Elliot - Ending.PNG

Edited by Crabmaster2000
bad words
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 639/677

Woof, what a chore this one was. Spent about 10 hours of my day yesterday getting to the 5th and final level, but couldn't quite finish it before I had to go to work. So I did something I haven't done since I was a kid and left my system on all night. That wasn't so much of a worry, the bigger concern was leaving my recording setup on over night. Wasn't sure how it would handle a 20+ hour session. Seemed fine when I got home though and another 1-2 hours of play time and I was able to finally finish The Mutant Virus. The game was quite challenging to wrap my head around for the first 6-7 hours, but by the end it started to make more sense. There is a time limit that I didn't know about that made stages 4 and 5 considerably harder than I thought they'd be since I was just trying to take it slow and safe, but after seeing how little time I had I had to re-strategize and figure out how to navigate levels more efficiently and occasionally take some risks to try and clear an area faster. This meant a lot of dumb deaths in the final areas and without being able to do a quick restart it meant a lot of putting the controller down and wait a minute or two for the virus to slowly overtake my remaining lives so I could start again. 

Mutant Virus - Ending.PNG

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Beat Shingen the ruler

It's kinda like a stripped down Koei game that had the difficulty removed, usually when i play those games i almost feel overwhelmed with the amount of choices for each turn.  Shingen was basically enlist men, buy weapons, attack and repeat.  I enjoyed it until the very end when the maps for the field and castle battles became more complex and half the battles were spent moving the units just to get into attacking range of the defenders.

IMG_7722.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Do you have any piece of advice for Klash Ball? I tried it the other day as well and couldn't make it far. It's extremely hectic and enemies were just steamrolling me most of the time.

id say being fast is most important so you need to know what you're going to do with the ball before you get it, cause there's really no time to pass or line up a shot.  I move in diagonals using the speed boost and try to position myself so i come up to goal so that if i was facing forward the ball would just get inside the right post but if i remain diagonal the ball would just get inside the left post and then depending on what position the goalie has taken i quickly decide if i should turn forward and shoot or just take the diagonal shot.  I play the one minute games and always buy power and skill with my tokens, there's probably a strategy where you could play three minute games and really run up the score on the weak teams to earn lots of tokens which you could then use to max your stats and buy extra goals against the tough teams.