IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

11 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I'm running out of games I haven't beaten before and have any chance of beating. I'll give Al Unser's Racing a go.

What's the deal with Lethal Weapon? It's a 7 but no one is touching it.

Lethal Weapon is one of the hardest beat em ups on the system. It's quite unforgiving and you have little room to make/recover from mistakes and it's also quite long for that style of game. Not impossible and there isn't one particular part that's super challenging, it's mainly just a long play with very tough enemies the whole way through

Edited by Crabmaster2000
So stupid

Started formulating a plan to take on Rally Bike (there's very little info online for this game, BTW). Seems super unforgiving, but figuring out exactly when to stop for gas should help a lot, as well as abusing the pause button. I'll try some actual attempts tonight.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 632/677
11 hours ago, LHCGreg said:

Completed both loops of Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll on Professional difficulty and got the good ending. I'm shocked it's a 9 point game and has 2 pain points.

Along with its sequel, it's just one of those games that I rarely hear people discuss. I dunno, maybe it just doesn't stand out in a good or bad way.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:10 AM, scaryice said:

Started formulating a plan to take on Rally Bike (there's very little info online for this game, BTW). Seems super unforgiving, but figuring out exactly when to stop for gas should help a lot, as well as abusing the pause button. I'll try some actual attempts tonight.

Update: I've been doing attempts this weekend, and my best so far is race 9 out of 10. I should be able to do it soon, hopefully. Annoying game at times, but still, I'd rather play this than an actual racing sim.

• Like 1

Rally Bike is finished!

9s2zA8h.jpg

In order to beat it, the first thing I needed to do was make a list of how often and where to get gas. You need gas twice on stages 2-3, and once on the other three stages. Sometimes, you can skip a stop with a hi-gas power up. Gas use is based on distance, not speed, so it'll always be the same every time.

1-LA

2nd station, after trains

2-SF

1st station, after first blue car
2nd station, right after the first one

3-PHX

1st station, after a while on either side
2nd station, after first set of buildings

4-DEN

1st station, after train tracks

5-NY

1st station, halfway through on right side

Interestingly, there's a 6th stage in the arcade version - Boston, which would be slotted right before New York. The arcade version looks much better in general from what I saw on Youtube.

Lives in this game are reset for each level. You get 5 chances for the first loop, and 3 in the second loop. There's no extra lives or anything, although you do get upgrades for finishing in (I believe) the top ten. I was able to finish the 10th and final level on my last life, which was a great feeling! It doesn't matter where you finish on the last stage, the "ending" is the same regardless - a short scene with a boat in the front of the Statue of Liberty, followed by a sudden game over. So even though you need to finish 15th place or higher on the first loop there, I was able to take it safe and coast with a not so impressive 39th.

I still don't quite understand how everything works, even though I beat it. For example, the "brock" tires help you go faster in stage 3. But if you lose a life, you seem to lose them. However, sometimes it seems like I can die and still be powered up. Are some power-ups permanent? Does it have something to do with the bonus stages? The second loop? Not sure.

There's a lot of frustration with the lack of checkpoints, tight squeezes, and unfair deaths (like when you just finish refueling and another car comes up from behind). Still, it wasn't as hard as Ikari Warriors.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 633/677
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Nice! Do you like the game? (guessing no)

I like it in the sense that it doesn't seem overly challenging, just have to figure out how to earn all the medals and promotions to open up the final mission. There is a certain kind of fun in figuring out that puzzle. 

Its not something I'm likely to play again for pleasure though. Too slow paced for my liking.

12 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Started working on F117A Stealth Fighter yesterday. Hopefully have that done by the end of the weekend.

One thing I didn't figure out until halfway through playing it last year is that you can make a pit stop at your landing strip during the mission and go out again with full repairs and fuel. I'm pretty sure it was this one or F-15 or maybe both

12 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

One thing I didn't figure out until halfway through playing it last year is that you can make a pit stop at your landing strip during the mission and go out again with full repairs and fuel. I'm pretty sure it was this one or F-15 or maybe both

I was reading Arnopoly's write up and he mentioned that. Not necessary on most missions, but to earn some of the medals that refuel is pretty essential. 

57 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

So I got all 10 medals on F117A Stealth Fighter yesterday and that should have opened up the secret mission to get the ending, but it didn't. Anyone know if there is any other objective I overlooked outside of the medals in order to progress?

Did you get the highest rank of general (4 million points)? Maybe try that if you haven't.

So it turns out you need to beat the 6th mission AFTER you get all 10 medals in order to gain access to the secret missions. Most players this would probably line up with how you earn your medals, but I did mine out of order hence the confusion. All sorted now though. F117A Stealth Fighter is done!

F117A - Ending.PNG

Edited by Crabmaster2000
image upload
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 634/677

Something clicked and I got in the groove with Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing. The best strategy I could figure out was to get to 2nd if possible and then try not to crash into the lead car (which it seems to try to do deliberately to you). A couple of times I turbo'ed at the end and got first place, but it was mostly a string of 2nds and some 4ths/5ths.

Of course, I played as Al himself, which is basically easy mode. If that's a problem for you then suck it.

I actually like this game a lot. I may do it again next year.

xKkZDmt.jpg

• Like 3

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 635/677
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 636/677

It was already beaten for this thread, but I finally beat Ultima III: Exodus. At last, vengeance for this game that had me stumped as a kid. As an extra challenge, I beat it entirely with no online help. Drawing maps on graph paper - old school. I had to look up a hint just for 1 thing at very end (SPOILER):

Spoiler

Because how the hell would I know to Pray at the top of this random room that looks nothing like an "altar"???

There are some really cool things with this game, but it is SEVERELY flawed. So frustrating, because with some easy adjustments, it could be great like Ultima IV is.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1