IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Thunderbirds is beaten.

I just got this game in the mail today, and since it was still on the board for this thread figured I’d move it to the top of my list to tackle.

I gotta say, I’m a bit surprised this game is still on the board for this years thread, because it isn’t all that tough. Plus being a 7 pointer and 1 pain point? Easiest pain point I’ve ever gotten (must’ve been a slow year when it went unbeaten).

Anyways, I think it’s a decent shmup game. Kinda bizarre, but yet not bad. There’s no point counter for high score; that’s unheard of for NES shmups.

1DEB3E82-6508-4AAF-AB59-1EAF442B1DBF.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Thunderbirds is beaten.

I just got this game in the mail today, and since it was still on the board for this thread figured I’d move it to the top of my list to tackle.

I gotta say, I’m a bit surprised this game is still on the board for this years thread, because it isn’t all that tough. Plus being a 7 pointer and 1 pain point? Easiest pain point I’ve ever gotten (must’ve been a slow year when it went unbeaten).

Anyways, I think it’s a decent shmup game. Kinda bizarre, but yet not bad. There’s no point counter for high score; that’s unheard of for NES shmups.

1DEB3E82-6508-4AAF-AB59-1EAF442B1DBF.jpeg

Yeah not too hard, especially since the levels are pretty short and there are passwords. I always thought it was weird they made a game based on a semi-obscure 20 year old puppet show. I remembered seeing it when I was a little kid, but nobody I knew ever heard of the show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's not that bad of a game. A light gun platformer was actually a pretty cool idea.

No, I think it's an interesting game too, but 1CC'ing it is quite an achievement -- and that's coming from someone who's beaten the game too! I can imagine that it's possible, but man, getting the kind of consistent response from the Zapper necessary, and with the brutal event timers/RNG element...I'm impressed.

Maybe it'd be easier if I played on a smaller TV? I played on a 21" CRT from about 6-7 feet away, and the main problem I had was getting consistent hit detection with anything right at the edge of the screen.

40 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

Yeah not too hard, especially since the levels are pretty short and there are passwords. I always thought it was weird they made a game based on a semi-obscure 20 year old puppet show. I remembered seeing it when I was a little kid, but nobody I knew ever heard of the show.

Agree, very odd...I don’t remember ever watching reruns or even hearing about the show (or the NES game) back in the day. I checked out about 5-10 minutes of an episode of it on YouTube recently. It was corny, but yet might’ve been a cool novelty show in its time back in the 60s.

9 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Anybody got any tips on Defenders of Dynatron city? Specifically the cola factory level. I can't seem to make it past the second set of robots, the hammer guys. I can make it there with four heroes but I keep getting killed over and over. I'm not sure what do there. This spot is tough and it's frustrating to spend a half an hour to get there each time and then die in a minute. If there was a game genie code for level select I could at least practice that spot without wasting so much time. 

I think you want to just stay as far away as possible using Megawatt and Buzzsaw.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

No, I think it's an interesting game too, but 1CC'ing it is quite an achievement -- and that's coming from someone who's beaten the game too! I can imagine that it's possible, but man, getting the kind of consistent response from the Zapper necessary, and with the brutal event timers/RNG element...I'm impressed.

Maybe it'd be easier if I played on a smaller TV? I played on a 21" CRT from about 6-7 feet away, and the main problem I had was getting consistent hit detection with anything right at the edge of the screen.

Sitting closer and using a smaller TV seems to help since it doesn't require much movement to cover the entire area. Do you have a curved or a flat screen? The CRT I have now is a 2008 model RCA 14" flat screen, but I remember having that right side issue as a kid on a larger, curved screen TV. 

I finally beat Town & Country II: Thrilla's Surfari. This game made me so mad, because beating it somehow took me longer this year than the last year. I kept messing up certain jumps over and over again. Or various bosses killed me time and time again. That damn shark in world 4!

Anyway, I'm done with this game for good. It feels like certain games drain your sanity meter and this is definitely one of them, which is a shame, because with a few tweaks and rebalancing it could have been more on the decent side of things.

T&C II.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 554/677
9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Sitting closer and using a smaller TV seems to help since it doesn't require much movement to cover the entire area. Do you have a curved or a flat screen? The CRT I have now is a 2008 model RCA 14" flat screen, but I remember having that right side issue as a kid on a larger, curved screen TV. 

I have both (just got a nice flat-screen Sanyo with component inputs for free), but I beat it last year on a curved-screen Toshiba. I thought light guns acted weird on flat-style CRTs? Maybe it's only some light guns that do so?

4 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I have both (just got a nice flat-screen Sanyo with component inputs for free), but I beat it last year on a curved-screen Toshiba. I thought light guns acted weird on flat-style CRTs? Maybe it's only some light guns that do so?

I thought that was just for flat screen HDTVs. I haven't had any issues with mine at all. In fact, the main reason I got it was so I could play Zapper games.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

18 hours ago, scaryice said:

I think you want to just stay as far away as possible using Megawatt and Buzzsaw.

The strategy I used went like this... 1st, I used the dog for the monkey robots. You back them into the far left side of the screen then jump which causes them to turn their backs on you, then you can just stand there and bite them to death.  Then I used buzzsaw for the hammer guys. The special jump/flip attack caused the most damage against them. For the buzzsaw robots, I used the hammer guy. You try and get them on top of each other then just use the special jump attack to smash them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I finally beat Town & Country II: Thrilla's Surfari. This game made me so mad, because beating it somehow took me longer this year than the last year. I kept messing up certain jumps over and over again. Or various bosses killed me time and time again. That damn shark in world 4!

Anyway, I'm done with this game for good. It feels like certain games drain your sanity meter and this is definitely one of them, which is a shame, because with a few tweaks and rebalancing it could have been more on the decent side of things.

T&C II.jpg

I feel that T&C II is an excellent game in the same vein as Battletoads: tight play control combined with high difficulty that turns off casual players but rewards determined gamers who spend the time to GIT GOOD!!!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 557/677
30 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Lolo 3 is done. Genius puzzle game with a lot of interesting ideas, but I think they got a little too creative with this one. Definitely prefer 1 and 2 more since they're more straightforward. 

AdventuresOfLolo3.jpg

My biggest gripes are firstly that the difficulty spikes so suddenly on some levels and the god dang Moby’s. Man oh man those little suckers upset me. I found myself figuring out the solution for quite a few levels but then having a heck of a time actual executing it. 2 is the best, good challenge and it ramps nicely. 3 starts out decent and then slaps you across the face. 😅