IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 538/677
2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

RE: NES Play Action Football

The Playoffs mode requires you to choose one team and beat the other seven in 60 minute games (since there are no options to shorten the games). Because of my years of playing through it, I can move the ball at will using only two very safe running plays. The game clock actually runs fast while the teams line up and while the ball is currently in play, so given the way I play I can finish one game in about 45 minutes of real time. I call my plays very quickly, never go out of bounds or throw the ball to risk stopping the clock, wait until the computer automatically snaps the ball for me to milk the clock as much as possible during the pre-snap lining up, and look for ways to milk more time while the ball is in play. There are even some situations where I just stand by the goal line if I've left defenders in the dust and just roll off another minute of game time before scoring.

I won the "Power Bowl" (since Nintendo had a license with the NFL Players Union but not the NFL itself to use the team names or the Super Bowl) against a computer at the highest-level AI with a final score of 42 or 49 to 0, and some of the earlier games against lower-level AIs (since the game automatically ramps up as you close in on the Power Bowl) were more lopsided than that. Dominating on defense is pretty easy because the computer's O-line plays very poorly. I have about 15 sacks a game, and I finished several games where the opponent had negative total offensive yards.

And as @Khromakcorrectly guessed, I only beat the game with Washington this year. What I mentioned before is that I've now gone through the playoffs and won the Power Bowl with all eight teams and their unique rosters in my lifetime.

One trip through the playoffs runs about six hours the way I play the game, and it was my primary game on Thursday and Friday evening.

RE: Tecmo NBA Basketball

The season mode there gives you several options to extend or shorten single games or even the entire season. I chose the Short season. I then skipped all the regular season games, as that has always been permitted on these challenge threads for any sports games that give you that option. In Short seasons, each of the playoff rounds through the semi-finals is only one game long, while the NBA Finals is reduced to a best-of-three. So that means, what, five or six games between a player and the ending? I played the first round on 4-minute quarters so I could get used to the game again then went back into the game settings and reduced the rest of the games to 2-minute quarters. I hit the ol' Reset button once, to erase my first attempt at Game 1 of the Finals as I was about to lose.

The total endeavor was probably about an hour and a half for me.

Well thanks for clearing that up.  I'm familiar with NES PAF, but haven't played Tecmo NBA, so I was unaware of the short/skip season option.  Carry on... 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

And Castle of Dragon has been conquered.

Castle of Dragon.jpg

Good on you. I picked this one up after watching a little gameplay thinking it would be a relatively easy clear. Then I played it and my God are those controls awful. I'm sure there's some trick to the combat but barring that, it's a terrible experience.

Guess that's to be expected once you're down to the last ~150 games...Certainly true of everything I've been playing lately.

Kings of the Beach done! Sorry it took awhile, busy with work. Pretty repetitive game, and I don't like the "feature" where the ref makes bad calls. And with that, I think I've beaten every volleyball game on the NES! I've also beaten one of every point value this year (1-10)!

kingsOfTheBeach2.jpg

Edited by WashYourFace
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I'm open to suggestions on games which are left in the list that are good but not brutally difficult (ala Arkanoid). Currently working on Toxic Crusaders and almost done with it. As seems to be the trend for me, I'm on the last level but it's tough as nails.

A lot of the remaining RPG type games are not hard or bad, just take awhile. Sky Kid is not too hard, I think, and not terrible (the key is remembering you don't have to engage every enemy, just avoid them). Lolo III is probably a good one that isn't too difficult.

Toxic crusaders is done. As I said earlier, the difficulty is kinda brutal. Each hit removes one of your buffs so getting hit is really punishing. Select is essentially your attack button which is really stupid, and the platforming at the end messes with your depth perception... some bosses were laughably easy, some were savagely difficult. Overall game is very meh

ToxicCrusaders.jpg

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

I'm open to suggestions on games which are left in the list that are good but not brutally difficult (ala Arkanoid). Currently working on Toxic Crusaders and almost done with it. As seems to be the trend for me, I'm on the last level but it's tough as nails.

Still 3 Koei games left, and Shingen the Ruler 🙂

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Toxic crusaders is done. As I said earlier, the difficulty is kinda brutal. Each hit removes one of your buffs so getting hit is really punishing. Select is essentially your attack button which is really stupid, and the platforming at the end messes with your depth perception... some bosses were laughably easy, some were savagely difficult. Overall game is very meh

ToxicCrusaders.jpg

Nice one. I beat this game last year. IIRC I think I cleared it for this thread... Agree it is a mediocre game that isn’t without its frustrations. Most of the boss battles seem to require a very specific pattern you gotta follow in order to beat em. The 2nd boss on the motorcycle is nearly impossible to beat unless you have the projectile mop, and very easy to beat if you have it.

I never got the projectile mop. I actually face-tanked the motorcycle boss and hit him twice per cycle. You have 8 health (and survive on 0) and he has 16 HP, so if you can hit him twice per cycle without fail, 8 times in a row, he's toast. When I beat him, I got him on the 9th cycle with 0 HP remaining, luckily nailed him before he got me.

@Khromak Air Fortress is really fun and the passwords help with clearing it. Howver, it gets quite challenging later on and it's a really long game since you have to beat it twice. If you're into RPGs you might want to give Destiny of an Emperor a try. I've only heard good things about it. And Legacy of the Wizard is a fun Metroidvania, but very difficult. However, you can save the game and try as much as you want.

28 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

And Legacy of the Wizard is a fun Metroidvania, but very difficult. However, you can save the game and try as much as you want.

I can't even imagine trying to beat this without some sort of walkthrough. I don't have to imagine it, because I tried when the game was new. Instruction manual is mostly useless, and that's all you get. Later, when I actually did beat it, it was hard even with a walkthrough and videos to help. One of the most logically convoluted games. And the worst part is the font, so that you can easily write down the wrong character in the password. So annoying.

Gauntlet is beaten. Always make sure to get all the upgrade potions early on (you should have all five by stage 37). The nice thing about continuing in the final world is that you can build up your bombs. So you can die over and over until you have 10 bombs, which makes the final few levels beatable.

hbVlgs3.jpg

• Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 545/677
9 hours ago, Khromak said:

@Foochie776did you ever end up starting Lolo 3? I may go for it, though I've already beaten it in the past so I'll probably do some other new games in tandem if you aren't doing it.

Off and on but I’m not super invested, I could definitely put in some work on it if you don’t 

Just beat Metal Mech again and got reminded why I disliked this game so mcuh in the first place. The first five missions are rather boring once you've figured out what you have to do and the sixth one is just plain horrible and very difficult. But then again it's not that bad for a 14 point game.

Metal Mech.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1