IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

My two cents on unlicensed may be best of both worlds. Goal is still licensed only and do the count that way. Collectively thats the main goal. Keeping it a big milestone that isnt out of reach with current participation. 

But, still award points for unlicensed and keep a tab of who beat them in a separate section. Maybe award a chunk of points to the top 3-5 finishers additionally as a bonus. If this works and it gets to the point that it looks mildly achievable after a given year, reincorporate them in all the way 

@the_wizard_666, curious if youd be ok with that middle ground

The years Scary included them, that's pretty much what he did.  The games were listed separately, and the leaderboards were listed in a way that showed the full total, as well as the licensed/unlicensed split.  Had no problem with it that way at all.  And if that's how it was done, I would've still been here plugging away every New Year's and beyond.  But still, I like the idea of the community being polled on it, especially if it's yearly (either in December or shortly after completion, whichever comes first) to decide the following year.  If nothing else, it'll seem less arbitrary, especially to those of us old timers that will never understand how unlicensed games suddenly stopped counting for the majority of newcomers 😛

Just beat legacy of the wizard. I've got a lot of opinions about this game... at first it seemed very surprising that nobody had beaten it for this thread yet because it honestly plays like it should've been a lot of people's favorite game growing up. I think it's a really fun game with a lot of elements people admire in other games. Honestly seems like metroid but better. There are some frustrating and janky parts, but overall quite good. In the end I had to repeat a few sections a bunch of times, but it was still enjoyable most of the time. 

LegacyOfTheWizard.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

Next up for me...I may take some attempts at Silkworm with a friend of mine. I played through the first few levels by myself but couldn't see myself being able to beat it solo, though it could be a fun one to do with a buddy.

After/coinciding with that, I'll probably start up Might & Magic or one of the Ultima games. 

50 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Next up for me...I may take some attempts at Silkworm with a friend of mine. I played through the first few levels by myself but couldn't see myself being able to beat it solo, though it could be a fun one to do with a buddy.

After/coinciding with that, I'll probably start up Might & Magic or one of the Ultima games. 

Silkworm is pretty damn tough, even with two players.  I know me and @Dr. Morbis gave it a serious go a few years back and failed pretty miserably, but it's still an awesome game.  As for the others, M&M is pretty awesome, as is Quest of the Avatar.  Exodus is decent but also very archaic, and Warrior of Destiny...well, let's just say they should've put it on the SNES instead...

6 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Silkworm is pretty damn tough, even with two players.  I know me and @Dr. Morbis gave it a serious go a few years back and failed pretty miserably, but it's still an awesome game.  As for the others, M&M is pretty awesome, as is Quest of the Avatar.  Exodus is decent but also very archaic, and Warrior of Destiny...well, let's just say they should've put it on the SNES instead...

Really the whole game isn't too bad once you memorize it, but that final boss is damn near impossible; it's one of the few games I've ever given up on (for now) after countless attempts...

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 622/677
11 hours ago, Khromak said:

Just beat legacy of the wizard. I've got a lot of opinions about this game... at first it seemed very surprising that nobody had beaten it for this thread yet because it honestly plays like it should've been a lot of people's favorite game growing up. I think it's a really fun game with a lot of elements people admire in other games. Honestly seems like metroid but better. There are some frustrating and janky parts, but overall quite good. In the end I had to repeat a few sections a bunch of times, but it was still enjoyable most of the time.

I think a lot of people enjoyed that game growing up, they just didn't beat it. Seems to be one of the most frequent titles that pops up on 'help me remember this NES game' threads. I hear it's very difficult blind, did you use a guide?

Also, you officially passed Gaia and moved into second place - keep up the great work!

On 4/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, BeaIank said:

But Rolling Thunder!!!

I just wanted to tease the Wizard 😉

Got my new laptop this week and ran through Metal Gear [NES 622/669] to shake the rust off with something not too grueling. I had someone very close to me pass away unexpectedly a few days ago so I'm definitely not in the mindset for something on the challenging end of the spectrum for a bit. Grindy sounds relaxing right now though so I'll take a look at what I have left that lines up with my list and hopefully start grinding something out.

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Spelling

On 4/28/2021 at 9:41 PM, Khromak said:

I saw that @Tablew/chairs was planning to do Might & Magic this year, but no one has expressed any intentions of playing either of the remaining Ultima games yet. Quest of the Avatar is supposed to be pretty good, though I wasn't able to get into it (but had sort of been considering giving it a second chance). Warriors of Destiny was a major disappointment when I tried it years ago. I think it has one of the most interesting stories in an old-school RPG, but the gameplay was SO BAD.

I tried one of the Ultima games last year and was immensely turned off. Unless you want to spend dozens, if not hundreds, of hours you might have to consult a guide, which defeats the purpose of the game somewhat, imho.

I though of maybe trying out one of the remaining Koei games, but I've never played any of their strategy games before. Which one would be better to get into? It seems like L'Empereur and Shingen the Ruler are left.

9 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I tried one of the Ultima games last year and was immensely turned off. Unless you want to spend dozens, if not hundreds, of hours you might have to consult a guide, which defeats the purpose of the game somewhat, imho.

I though of maybe trying out one of the remaining Koei games, but I've never played any of their strategy games before. Which one would be better to get into? It seems like L'Empereur and Shingen the Ruler are left.

Shingen is actually not a Koei game, but people make that mistake all the time. Genghis Khan is also still on the board, and is by Koei. Would you be interested in trying Genghis Khan first? Again, @Tablew/chairsalready sounds like he's going to try for L'Empereur and Shingen the Ruler this year. Since he's within 20 games of beating the whole licensed North American set, I think it's likely he'll finish that this year.

I've been playing a lot of Alpha Mission for the weekly Contest thread, and I ended up beating it by my personal standards, which is to beat all 13 Areas and play until it loops back to Area 2 again.  If that falls within the guidelines of this thread, then you can mark me down for beating the game here too...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I beat the game a few years ago without using anything other than the manual. I remember one item in particular that I needed to look at the hint section to find, but it wasn't too bad overall. It's fun if you enjoy exploration in games - just gotta write down everything important.

• Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 623/677
6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I've been playing a lot of Alpha Mission for the weekly Contest thread, and I ended up beating it by my personal standards, which is to beat all 13 Areas and play until it loops back to Area 2 again.  If that falls within the guidelines of this thread, then you can mark me down for beating the game here too...

I believe that fulfills the requirements, good work!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 624/677

I got tired of seeing Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour on the list, so I took care of it --

174879110_IMG_20210502_162120859JimmyConnorsTennis2021small.jpg.edabe9784375b5324603b3e427cf90be.jpg

-- and from my player name you can see how I felt about the process (though it only takes about 75-85 minutes, really). Beaten on Advanced difficulty.

Edited by bronzeshield

4 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

and from my player name you can see how I felt about the process (though it only takes about 75-85 minutes, really). Beaten on Advanced difficulty.

Interesting Bronze, I took a few stabs at this game but couldn't figure out a strategy to reliably win. Since you said it only took 1-1.5 hours I'm guessing you won pretty handily? Do you need to win every single match, or can you just win a good enough percentage of them to "win the tour"?

32 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Interesting Bronze, I took a few stabs at this game but couldn't figure out a strategy to reliably win. Since you said it only took 1-1.5 hours I'm guessing you won pretty handily? Do you need to win every single match, or can you just win a good enough percentage of them to "win the tour"?

I've always just won every match -- never tried to press forward after losing one -- and yeah, once you get the rhythm down it's pretty easy since it's basically 16 matches of the same thing (if you play 1-set matches, anyway).

The trick is to take the ball early and rush the net a lot of the time, and focus on hitting volley winners, sometimes down the line. There's a position on serve that gives you aces from the deuce court pretty reliably -- tap a little bit right, then hold left -- which helps.

I use the B button pretty much exclusively, holding Up+B to get volleys that "die" quickly. You can also hit a lot of overheads in this game that other games wouldn't let you touch. (One tradeoff, of course, is that you have to charge your shots.)

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 625/677

Cross referenced my list with the one on here and I've got 4 left I can help with for this year. So if no one wants to play these games I'll definitely get to them at some point:

Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge, F-117A Stealth Fighter, Mutant Virus, Star Soldier. 

Also just a fun note that I've played through a few games this week that have already been beaten, but it puts my total games also at 625 licensed games beaten!

Edited by Crabmaster2000
Spell real bad
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 12:46 AM, WashYourFace said:

50 games won now. For some time, I thought I was in hell, like Sisyphus in an eternity of useless effort and unending frustration. But then I thought, maybe this is some version of heaven, where nothing bad ever happens - which means nothing interesting ever happens. An eternity of blandness. But I think it must be purgatory. Neither heaven nor hell, earth nor afterlife. One day, I will finish this game, and I don't know where I will be then, but at least it won't be doing this.

70 games finished! Something happened today. I got a picture. Something different! I'm in the playoffs!! Does this mean gameplay will change in some way? Will something new happen?? No. It's exactly the same. Just keep playing and winning games. Nothing ever changes.

bases_loaded4_league_champs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1