IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

I fell off playing black bass if anyone else wants to take it. I think I have 3 dates left to fish in the tournament. I haven't played it in a few weeks, been too busy. Once the weather starts to break my gaming time goes down the toilet. I might come back to it, but its gonna be a while. 

• Sad 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 608/677
On 3/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, scaryice said:

I've been meaning to make a list of all the fake team names in NES games, I should get on that soon...

http://vgstats.blogspot.com/2021/03/fictional-americancanadian-sports-teams.html

I put this together over the last few days - only teams with both a nickname and a logo were included. Let me know if I missed any!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, scaryice said:

http://vgstats.blogspot.com/2021/03/fictional-americancanadian-sports-teams.html

I put this together over the last few days - only teams with both a nickname and a logo were included. Let me know if I missed any!

No clue if you missed any, but this is really cool. Favorites are the New York Slicks and the Las Vegas Gamblers

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 610/677
3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Beat Super Glove Ball for the second straight year. Grinded for over an hour to get 50 lives in area 2. Finished the game with around 30, so that may have been a bit much. Oh well, it's over.

LytYGuX.png

Does this game require you to use the power glove, or can you play with a controller? I thought it was a power glove only game, how does that work on emulator?

11 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Any tips there? I remember trying that a couple years back and it destroyed me. 

Freedom Force is fairly straightforward, but brutal. A successful loop only takes about 10 minutes, but I probably spent 3-4 hours across 4-5 days of attempts to get it done. Of course, part of that is just me being old and getting cramped up in the hand after 3-4 rounds of the game.

With a little practice, the only really hard level is the fifth and final one of the loop: the terrorists' lair. If you're efficient with your ammo, you will only need to reload there once to survive. (Which is still once more than in any of the first four levels, where you will run out of bad guys before you run out of your starting bullets if you're not fucking around.)

You should know that the pause button on your P1 controller will still work for this game. And though it is awkward to juggle a controller and a light gun simultaneously, it will make your life easier in-game when you learn how to do so. On the last couple of levels (but especially their lair at the end), it can really save your ass to abuse the pause button. The moment one of their sprites starts to pop up out of a doorway, pause the game and point your gun right at them. Unpause and blow them away before they can set up and shoot at you. If you're quick, this can even be effective when multiple enemies are spawning almost simultaneously. Obviously, you want to kill the one who is a frame or two ahead of his partner first, because he'll shoot back quicker. Also keep watching that powerup corner, since ammo drops and health bonuses don't last very long. You'll boost your odds at getting those with the pause button as well.

• Thanks 1

I've started playing NES Open Tournament Golf and I'm actually enjoying it, surprisingly since I normally don't like sports games and I've never golfed in my life.

That said, I'm sure it will take me an incredibly long time to get $1,000,000 in that game and I may get burnt out before that point, but wanted to give a heads up in case someone else is/will be working on it since it seems like it will be a bit of a slog.

46 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I've started playing NES Open Tournament Golf and I'm actually enjoying it, surprisingly since I normally don't like sports games and I've never golfed in my life.

That said, I'm sure it will take me an incredibly long time to get $1,000,000 in that game and I may get burnt out before that point, but wanted to give a heads up in case someone else is/will be working on it since it seems like it will be a bit of a slog.

Thats awesome. I usually do it and I love that game, but Ive been busy as hell the last couple months and havent had time to get into it. Id rather see someone else discover its greatness anyway. Imo, easily best golf game for nes, or any system, and one of my favorites period. 

As far as it being a slog, you actually can change that. The easiest way to beat the game is the slowest. Play 18 hole tourneys and win 15k each time for first. Never 36 hole because it only pays 25k . I did it this way for years not realizing you could change it. Playing that way, you are actually playing at beginner level, but youll get to a million faster than you think getting some hole in one, long drive, and closest to pin money to go along with 15k each round. 

To increase the difficulty, play a 1 player stroke play round and shoot under par. You will be invited to play another round and increase your player status. Play another round, and youll go up a level from ametuer to like semi pro.(or whatever they call it). Repeat the process and you will get ranked at the highest status of pro. 

Catch is each time you increase your status, the prize money goes up a lot (maybe doubles, I cant remember, but def significant), BUT so does the skills of the players in the tournament fields. As a beginner, a score of -2 or better will win you 18 hole tourneys. If memory serves, at the second level, you will need to shoot like 6 or 7 under to be safe. As a pro, I think you need be like -10 to be safe for a win. I dont remember the number thresholds at all or if they are available in a guide somewhere. If you go the route of increasing the diffculty, youll quickly figure out those thresholds and should include that in a post here for the future. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

@NESfiend thanks for the writeup, I actually figured out a little bit of what you said by reading the manual, which is INCREDIBLY helpful. It goes over the prize values, how to increase your rank, etc.

I'm currently in semi-pro and I play alright, I can get around par most of the time, though a little bit higher usually.

18 minutes ago, Khromak said:

@NESfiend thanks for the writeup, I actually figured out a little bit of what you said by reading the manual, which is INCREDIBLY helpful. It goes over the prize values, how to increase your rank, etc.

I'm currently in semi-pro and I play alright, I can get around par most of the time, though a little bit higher usually.

What do you generally need to score to win an 18 hole tourney at semi pro? Curious if I was in the ballpark on those thresholds. 

25 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

What do you generally need to score to win an 18 hole tourney at semi pro? Curious if I was in the ballpark on those thresholds. 

I haven't played a ton of tournaments to be scientific yet, but maybe -3 to -5? I'll let you know as I play some more. Definitely need to hone my skills a bit more as well.

Did you always play the same course, to remain consistent, or play all 3 to avoid boredom?

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 611/677
22 hours ago, Khromak said:

Did you always play the same course, to remain consistent, or play all 3 to avoid boredom?

Definitely change it up. Theres only 3 courses and you play a lot of rounds. Youll get to know each very well pretty quick. Id play each course like 3-4 times in a row to learn the optimal ways to play each hole and their quirks. Once you learn each, change up at will for more enjoyment 

I got a little carried away today. I played through the first quarter of All-Pro Basketball in one evening. I'm now 9-0, with 26 games left to play. I have figured out that if I walk away from the game and let it play itself, the CPU can only score about 30 points per quarter. So if I have a 35+ point lead after three quarters, which is typical for me, I can actually wander off and do something else for a few minutes while the garbage time plays itself out.

It did bite me in the ass once, when I was playing off and on in the fourth quarter. The final seconds ticked off while I was standing on the outside waiting to pass the ball back into play after a CPU basket. It triggered some kind of glitch that made the game neverending. I wound up playing for more than 10 minutes with 0:00 on the clock, trying every play in the book to see if something would end the game. I finally got fed up and hit reset, losing the progress for that game.

So I played another tournament of Open Tournament Golf today and got a decent placement, noticed the opponents were worse as well...Then my prize money was surprisingly low. I go to turn in my money and oh look at that...my save data was erased...

Not sure if it's because of not holding reset when turning the game off, the battery is dead, or what...but I'm pretty demotivated to try that again any time soon.

I will probably replace the battery (may as well) and may go back to it at some point, but TBH I wasn't very consistently good at the game anyway.

It's a fun one, I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting to.

• Sad 1

Time to take care of Star Voyager, as I've been doing for many years now, because I am just a marvelous warrior:

1752456068_StarVoyager2021.png.423cd769b4b61d7452907b83dcd3eb60.png

Last night I started this on a lark, got excellent RNG as I only had to search 3 planets to get the two super items, but then my emulator crashed.

Today I had essentially perfect RNG, as the two super items were on the first two 2 planets I checked, but then I only beat the game by the skin of my teeth and had to fight like a cornered rat to make it. I'm guessing the thing that saved my run was (if I'm correct) that your base treats each attack separately, so that the SOS calls you get aren't cumulative and it's able to heal in between.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Time to take care of Star Voyager, as I've been doing for many years now, because I am just a marvelous warrior:

1752456068_StarVoyager2021.png.423cd769b4b61d7452907b83dcd3eb60.png

Last night I started this on a lark, got excellent RNG as I only had to search 3 planets to get the two super items, but then my emulator crashed.

Today I had essentially perfect RNG, as the two super items were on the first two 2 planets I checked, but then I only beat the game by the skin of my teeth and had to fight like a cornered rat to make it. I'm guessing the thing that saved my run was (if I'm correct) that your base treats each attack separately, so that the SOS calls you get aren't cumulative and it's able to heal in between.

I understood all of the words in this, but pretty much none of the meaning.

• Like 1