IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

10 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Those are two nice clears today. What's next for y'all? Which games are left on the board for @Crabmaster2000 that overlap with his personal quest to beat 'em all? Khromak, are you on to Bases Loaded II next? That's a big one to take for the team. Were you still trying at Tom & Jerry?

I got to the twin gunmen right before Butch Cavendish at the end of Lone Ranger, but came up short tonight. I hope to finish this one the next time I have time to play.

Looks like:

Bill Elliot's NASCAR Challenge, F-117A Stealth Fighter, The Immortal, Mutant Virus, Pirates, Uncharted Waters

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 586/677
On 1/28/2021 at 8:05 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

2015 was probably the wildest year of this competition. We were also playing the 30-something licensed PAL exclusives as well as the standard North American list. The list burned up so fast in large part because of the furious race for #1 between @Doctornickand @BeaIank. Bea scored more than 690 points and still lost. And Nick literally passed her for first place with The Mutant Virus, which was the very last game on the list.

(Bea started her eventual 2016 championship run by beating The Mutant Virus on New Year's Day.)

That game still gives me PTSD.  Never again lol

Just now, nerdynebraskan said:

Welcome to the thread, fellow champion. We'll obviously let crabby take a stab at Mutant Virus, since he needs to beat it for his personal list as well. Is there anything you would like to play?

Unfortunately with work (Covid) I don't have hardly any free time right now, this is my first time logging on in at least a month.  Hopefully that changes soon and I'll see what strikes my eye.  Good to see you all plugging away though!

• Like 1

I may have underestimated how unfamiliar I am with sports games. I played my first game of BL2 and turned it off after the second inning when I was down 8-0. So uh...advice?

I feel like I was swinging at too many pitches and the computer throws a lot of junk, but it's hard to tell at that weird angle whether something is in the strike zone.

I started to get the feel for throwing pitches which were a bit tricky by zig-zagging them in the air and was eventually getting decent strikeouts, but the fielding is awkward AF. I was chasing the ball, but the direction you're holding for the infielders is the opposite of what your outfielders should be doing. They also sort-of handle themselves, so then I was letting them handle it themselves for simple, obvious catches. Then the guy just stopped short of an easy catch. So I guess you need to let them handle the first 90% then just fine-tune the last few seconds of it?

I also ended up in a situation where they had runners on 1st and 3rd and I got caught throwing the ball back and forth between 2nd and home for like a minute before I just gave up and let them take one of them because they could travel half a base during the travel time. I guess I should've tried to chase one down and then throw to the other or something, but it's hard to do that while maintaining the throw-back-and-forth thing.

I was really expecting this to be quite a lot simpler. Advice is welcome on these or any other topics. Probably take another crack at it later this evening and/or over the weekend. Once I get the basics down I think I'll be fine but the computer handed me my ass.

18 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Uncharted Waters is fun and easy; it's just a massive time sink...

Pirates is pretty easy too, and fun for the most part. Gets pretty repetitive towards the end, if you want to get to 100%+  Same thing though, just a time sink.

Edited by WashYourFace
  • Like 1

The Lone Ranger is done.

@MagusSmurf

I guess I should take another couple of cracks at Shadow of the Ninja. I may have a little more time over this weekend, but I won't be too mad if you beat me to it. Were you still thinking of taking on Destiny of an Emperor or Legacy of the Wizard?

And with this, I have now gone over 600 points for the fourth straight year. I hope I can score at least 77 more points the rest of the year so I can get to 5000 in my lifetime, but we'll see if I get there given how few games are left that I can reliably do.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Wow! 1

12 hours ago, Khromak said:

I may have underestimated how unfamiliar I am with sports games. I played my first game of BL2 and turned it off after the second inning when I was down 8-0. So uh...advice?

From the archives:

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:43:33 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Profile  ¤ Send PM
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

OK I'm going to give Bases Loaded II a shot.
Crabmaster, any tips? Especially for hitting?

When batting always swing to the wide when you get the chance, but not in the top zone. For example when left handed only swing when you can connect on the bottom right or right middle areas. I'm not positive, but I feel like you have a much higher chance of getting home runs or at the least doubles when hitting in those spots in comparison to the rest of your hit box.

Also with a little practice its pretty easy to pick off their runners when they get on base. If their runner is on first just toss the ball to your Back Catcher and they will make an attempt on second. Run forward towards second with your Catcher and then toss the ball at the right time before they arrive to get them out. Works everytime and on every different base so they basically need a home run to score a point when you get good at it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, scaryice said:

From the archives:

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:43:33 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia
Profile  ¤ Send PM
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

OK I'm going to give Bases Loaded II a shot.
Crabmaster, any tips? Especially for hitting?

When batting always swing to the wide when you get the chance, but not in the top zone. For example when left handed only swing when you can connect on the bottom right or right middle areas. I'm not positive, but I feel like you have a much higher chance of getting home runs or at the least doubles when hitting in those spots in comparison to the rest of your hit box.

Also with a little practice its pretty easy to pick off their runners when they get on base. If their runner is on first just toss the ball to your Back Catcher and they will make an attempt on second. Run forward towards second with your Catcher and then toss the ball at the right time before they arrive to get them out. Works everytime and on every different base so they basically need a home run to score a point when you get good at it.

I can confirm that once you figure out defense, they almost never score. It's been a really long time since I played though, and all these Baseball games blend together so I would need to sit down and relearn it. Don't really have the time now though 😞

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 587/677

Section Z finished. I enjoyed my time with it. Lots of trial and error, so you need to write all the paths down. Still lacks a bit of that Capcom polish though, so I don't know if I'd consider it "good." Kind of interested in playing a similar "exploration shooter" like Super Star Force now. I think Super Xevious and Galg are similar in some ways also.

4Jb6Amx.png

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, NESfiend said:

Side Pocket is finally done. Got busy and side tracked a few times, mostly by @Jeevanthreads, but its done. That game is hard as shit, but so much fun once you git guud. Im actually going to miss playing pool a little bit each night. I will be buying the snes version quickly

If you're still in the mood for pool, Break Time is still on the board.

I'm planning to run through Golgo-13 today.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 589/677
4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

If you're still in the mood for pool, Break Time is still on the board.

Dont know about that. Played that a little before side pocket. It was annoyingly slow and seemed like it would take forever to learn. Ill probably start slogging away at NES Open if no one else wants to do it this year. If someone has it lurking on a personal list, feel free to grab it. Ive beat it a bunch 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 590/677
Events Team · Posted

Well, @Crabmaster2000 now possesses all my Championship Pool knowledge (it is all in the simulation the game shows, pay attention to it and realize that the current simulation is your current shot).
And to beat it faster, you should play 9 ball, use not only the simulation, but use it and your feelings to make the lowest ball to hit ball 9 by rebound and knock it down the role to win that round. Ain't no one got time to play Championship Pool on 8 ball mode.

Anyway, even though I have been busy as hell with work and now dealing with some serious left wrist problems, I have been slowly chipping away Lemmings and will finish the last stage of Mayhem difficulty tonight to celebrate getting fucking old.

Next I need to figure out how to get the vauz to work with emulators to slowly kill Arkanoid as well, if my orthopeadist actually allows me to do such madness.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Dont know about that. Played that a little before side pocket. It was annoyingly slow and seemed like it would take forever to learn. Ill probably start slogging away at NES Open if no one else wants to do it this year. If someone has it lurking on a personal list, feel free to grab it. Ive beat it a bunch 

Break Time isn't too bad. The first 3 opponents are pretty easy, then you just have to keep grinding until you get some lucky combo shots in on the 9 ball (this is assuming that, like me, you don't have any actual billiards skill)