IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

My work for this weekend: Wizardry Knight of Diamonds

after searching for about 2 years i was finally able to buy the strategy guide off ebay a few months ago and it made playing the game so much more enjoyable not having to constantly scroll through a gamefaqs to find the info i wanted

also i found this game much less frustrating than the mad overlord

IMG_6656.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 523/677

I have to apologize in advance because I know this is someone's favorite game from their childhood but...Fuck Shadow of the Ninja, I'm done playing it (at least for now). Calling it a Ninja Gaiden clone is entirely too kind. The hit detection is awful, powerups are lame and uninspired, i-frames/stunning for enemies is inconsistent, it's just a frustrating experience through and through. Someone else can have those 5 points I'm going to spend my evening stapling my nuts to my desk instead.

• Haha 4

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 525/677
15 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I've started AD&D: Dragonstrike, but it's not what I expected at all. It seems to have unlimited continues, so I guess I can power through it with enough time.

If I remember, the only hard part for me was the Doom Dragon, which I used Crabmaster's playthrough to beat. Pretty good game.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, and not that anyone cares, but I’ve gotten better at Zanac and have it down pat now. I’ve cleared it 3 more times.

I was pretty harsh on the game in my previous posts (my frustration was genuine at the time, lol) but I appreciate it a lot more now. I still don’t think I’m ready to put Zanac in my top-5 NES shmups but the game is a lot better than I gave it credit for, no question.

So I figured out that once you lose fully powered up #7 the best strategy is to stick with #0 or #3 the rest of the way. It’s really tough to get #7 maxed out back to full power, and regular #7 is less effective than regular #0 or #3. The last 2 runs I’ve lost fully powered #7 early (like area 4-6) and managed to go the distance no problem.

Zanac is a solid game... TAFN, but good.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Will probably be finishing Puzznic tomorrow (and moving on to Gravnic) so within a few days I should have the whole game done, depending how things go with my schedule otherwise and how obnoxiously difficult the levels are.

Very fun puzzle game with really unique, simple mechanics. Reminds me of Fire 'N Ice in that the mechanics are utterly simple but they design the stages to be really tricky.

5 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Castlequest done

I started to do it without looking anything up, but I soon got board. I ended up following the speedrun route. 

I think it would take a million years trying to do without any reference/help (although you can legally use the map that comes with the game, and that's really helpful). The thing that sucks (besides no save/password) is I think you can get the game into an unbeatable state (and maybe not know it) and have to start all over. Which reminds me, this is another time a playthrough from @rdrunner helped. I had to use it on one or two spots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1