IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

7 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

How would you rate it? Easy? Annoying?

I actually played it a lot growing up, but at that time I stalled out on the third boss. I only conquered it a few years ago for one of these threads, and have found it enjoyable enough to make an annual return to it.

Use the walkthrough and maps on GameFAQs for the more cryptic bits. Those are very useful.

Go straight down and to the right from the opening area to the left-right street where the blue frogs will continuously spawn and pursue you. They're really good to farm for items and weapon upgrades on. Don't leave that area for the more cramped forest/sewer areas until you've fully upgraded your gun. The middle-level gun upgrades have really wide arcs and get absorbed by walls in tight areas.

The most annoying detail in the game is how many weapon downgrades randomly appear amongst items dropped by defeated enemies. You'll need to play at a deliberate pace to avoid picking up too many of those. The whip, while stronger than the gun, has the double-edged effect of also picking up items. I tend to use it only on very strong enemies (like those pink-bowling-balls-with-fangs) and late bosses.

In areas where the enemies are really tough or spawn in really aggravating ways (including the UFO dungeon at the end), sometimes it's more prudent to let a few enemies get behind you and slowly walk to your destination. If there are enough enemies on screen, no new ones will spawn in front of you and you're fast enough to outrun anything in the game over open ground (and can still outrun all but the fastest enemies even on screwy terrain).

You should do most of your damage to the hardest bosses in the game by bringing a fully-powered whip and five Invincibility ("Invisibility") potions to each boss fight. Just use a potion, stand right in front of them, and just mash that attack button. If they're still standing after you run out of invincibility potions, run away from them and use your missiles. The walkthrough has elaborate strategies for how to beat those bosses with fancy moves and the gun, but fuck that. There's too much that can go wrong.

46 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I actually played it a lot growing up, but at that time I stalled out on the third boss. I only conquered it a few years ago for one of these threads, and have found it enjoyable enough to make an annual return to it.

Use the walkthrough and maps on GameFAQs for the more cryptic bits. Those are very useful.

Go straight down and to the right from the opening area to the left-right street where the blue frogs will continuously spawn and pursue you. They're really good to farm for items and weapon upgrades on. Don't leave that area for the more cramped forest/sewer areas until you've fully upgraded your gun. The middle-level gun upgrades have really wide arcs and get absorbed by walls in tight areas.

The most annoying detail in the game is how many weapon downgrades randomly appear amongst items dropped by defeated enemies. You'll need to play at a deliberate pace to avoid picking up too many of those. The whip, while stronger than the gun, has the double-edged effect of also picking up items. I tend to use it only on very strong enemies (like those pink-bowling-balls-with-fangs) and late bosses.

In areas where the enemies are really tough or spawn in really aggravating ways (including the UFO dungeon at the end), sometimes it's more prudent to let a few enemies get behind you and slowly walk to your destination. If there are enough enemies on screen, no new ones will spawn in front of you and you're fast enough to outrun anything in the game over open ground (and can still outrun all but the fastest enemies even on screwy terrain).

You should do most of your damage to the hardest bosses in the game by bringing a fully-powered whip and five Invincibility ("Invisibility") potions to each boss fight. Just use a potion, stand right in front of them, and just mash that attack button. If they're still standing after you run out of invincibility potions, run away from them and use your missiles. The walkthrough has elaborate strategies for how to beat those bosses with fancy moves and the gun, but fuck that. There's too much that can go wrong.

Will keep all that in mind. I played it a lot too growing up, and throughout the years, and whenever I thought I might try to beat it, I end up dying or downgrading my weapon and just getting pissed off, and stop playing. I only ever made it about half way. Hoping to finish it off some time this year.

Edited by WashYourFace

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

World Games

This one is really easy. You can do a pretty bad job on all the events and still get a WR

IMG_2374.jpg

I freaking LOVE this game. It is awesome!
I just wish I was having time to play NES games and edit that video. I got a fat project in my hands that is taking 12 to 14 hours of my day every day. 😞

Infiltrator is complete.  Here is the crap-tastic photo I got right in between "Successful Landing!" and Jimbo's Face.  I think the only game I've beaten so far that had a faster end screen was back to the future...

..At any rate, you can see the orange glow from the background and the green glow from Jimbo's uniform below...

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, PII said:

Infiltrator is complete.  Here is the crap-tastic photo I got right in between "Successful Landing!" and Jimbo's Face.  I think the only game I've beaten so far that had a faster end screen was back to the future...

That's game #500, congrats! We're making great progress (or should I say "rapid progres").

I've also beaten Robocop 3. It took me a few minutes to relearn the game. Even then, it was less than an hour for a 7 point game, that's pretty good.

EQadEj8.png

Edited by scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 501/677
1 minute ago, VegaVegas said:

I'm absolutely shocked to get to that topic and read number 501 on 29 Jan... oh well, I just beat Batman by occasion, even though it doesn't count here

Yeah, but have you played Jungle Book yet this year? That's one of your trademark contributions here.

Also, Metal Gear is done.

On 1/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, WashYourFace said:

Alright! The only Koei left on the list that I haven't beat is Gemfire. I don't own it, though 😞

Why did I say I don't own this? I totally do. So it goes on my list for this weekend. Unless somebody else is already on it. Hopefully I finally have some time for games!

• Haha 1

Frankenstein: The Monster Returns is beaten.

Figured I’d contribute at least 1 more game before this thing ends next week, lol.

I was playing it a couple months ago so it was still pretty fresh in my memory. Decent game. Hit detection is a lil wonky, and not being able to skip thru the constant text is a bit annoying, but outside of that it’s relatively fun.

3FD008A7-F86D-4D57-930F-1E23D24A0992.jpeg

Gemfire done!

The battery in my game is apparently dead, so I couldn't save, and had to beat it all in one sitting. Only the 2nd game I've ever seen that happen to. Pretty good game though, but way too easy. The trading makes it really simple to gain resources, and you can easily get enemies to defect to your side, from the very first turn. And the AI isn't very smart. Still not as boring as some other Koei games, though.

gemfire7.jpg

gemfire9.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 506/677

My PC broke down last week and since I'm relying on emulation I couldn't really play or submit much. But I went through my carts and have King's Knight here which I just beat. I'm still just on my mobile phone, but sometime next week my PC should be fixed again and I will try some more.

Also, it's really awesome how many games you've beaten so far! 

@WashYourFace

I guess I'm not too surprised that you could beat Gemfire for the first time in one sitting. It seems to have the reputation for being the easiest and most accessible of the NES Koei games. And I even seem to remember there was a big fan of the game on Nintendo Age in previous years who used to beat Gemfire on January 1st.

@Gaia Gensouki

So you're saying King's Knight is done, right? It might just be me, but I read your line a couple of times and wasn't entirely sure. Do you have any other carts you can still play?