IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

Die Hard is beaten.

This game is a combo of terrible and frustratingly difficult, so I’m kinda surprised it’s only worth 3 points.

I don’t know how anyone played this game for more than 5 minutes back in the pre-internet days, let alone beat it. It’s classic “where tf do I go, wtf do I do next?” type of game.

I cleared it on ‘beginner’ which I’m assuming is okay since the endings are the same...? 

I am gonna try and beat it on ‘advanced’ because I’m masochistic  like that 😜

6560BB77-C002-48E4-BD31-C7B717E3149D.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

OK, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is done! Really stupid that you have to go back and fill in the states with your guys, once you've eliminated all your enemies.

20210112_224134.jpg

Congrats! I don't think it's possible to end up with fewer than 58 generals unless you are ruthlessly executing everyone who opposed you Genghis Khan style, but i can see it being a pain to be done with the game and then have to spend a lot of pointless turns trying to find and recruit free generals.

18 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I saw that all Mae clears have been removed. Is that going to be the end of that or are we looking at verifying some and putting them back up there? Wondering if Id be wasting time to play through some of the non bases loaded games Mae posted as beat. 

That's what he suggested, right? Seems like the easiest path to take, imo...

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 376/677
9 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Congrats! I don't think it's possible to end up with fewer than 58 generals unless you are ruthlessly executing everyone who opposed you Genghis Khan style, but i can see it being a pain to be done with the game and then have to spend a lot of pointless turns trying to find and recruit free generals.

Luckily I had enough (with maybe 2 extra) that I didn't have to recruit anymore, but it still took an hour or two, moving all the generals around, cycling through every state and passing on the ones that were in the right spot. If I didn't already know there was an ending I would have just stopped there and said it was beat. It will be a little while until I move on to RotTK2, so if somebody gets to it before I do, that's great!

14 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Die Hard is beaten.

This game is a combo of terrible and frustratingly difficult, so I’m kinda surprised it’s only worth 3 points.

6560BB77-C002-48E4-BD31-C7B717E3149D.jpeg

This is one that @scaryice usually completes. Thats probably why it has a low point total. He usually hammers it out early. I remember hearing there is some sort of shortcut where the game can be beat in 10 or 15 minutes if you know what to do/where to go. 

7 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

Luckily I had enough (with maybe 2 extra) that I didn't have to recruit anymore, but it still took an hour or two, moving all the generals around, cycling through every state and passing on the ones that were in the right spot. If I didn't already know there was an ending I would have just stopped there and said it was beat. It will be a little while until I move on to RotTK2, so if somebody gets to it before I do, that's great!

I don't know how you play Koei games, but leaving large amounts of empty provinces lying around seems like a really strange strategy to me.  Are you aware that you can delegate provinces so that you don't have to deal with them anymore?  You can also tell provinces to automatically send excess rice or gold to your headquarters (or wherever you want); this is like getting free resources from about the midway point of the campaign onward.  All you do is leave exactly one general in each province behind your front lines, then max out his loyalty and delegate him to run the province on his own.  Easy-peasy...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't know how you play Koei games, but leaving large amounts of empty provinces lying around seems like a really strange strategy to me.  Are you aware that you can delegate provinces so that you don't have to deal with them anymore?  You can also tell provinces to automatically send excess rice or gold to your headquarters (or wherever you want); this is like getting free resources from about the midway point of the campaign onward.  All you do is leave exactly one general in each province behind your front lines, then max out his loyalty and delegate him to run the province on his own.  Easy-peasy...

No I didn't know that... I dunno, seems like I couldn't leave too many generals behind if I wanted to kill them fast. I only left behind the generals low in Power and/or Loyalty. The rest I attacked with, usually in 2-4 groups per attack. Oh well, doesn't matter now.

21 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

No I didn't know that... I dunno, seems like I couldn't leave too many generals behind if I wanted to kill them fast. I only left behind the generals low in Power and/or Loyalty. The rest I attacked with, usually in 2-4 groups per attack. Oh well, doesn't matter now.

Yeah, what Dr. Morbis said. There are two types of generals. The ones good at war that you keep at the front lines, and the ones that you stick in the other provinces to send supplies or make domestic decisions. Try it when you play RotTK 2 for us 🙂

I only start delegating when I've amassed enough territories to not have to employ the resources of all the provinces and want to cut down on the number of decisions per turn.

Tried beating Smash TV for the last day or so and just got pissed off enough to take it out of my system. I can absolutely dominate the crap out of it for 95% of the game, then a single room in the final level will take 5 or 6 lives from me. I've gotten to Key room #2 with 5 lives (plus play on 0) and then lost after 10 minutes of nonstop gigantic waves of enemies.

Maybe when my friend comes over I'll give it another shot on 2 player, we've beaten it together before, but single player is testing my patience.

21 hours ago, NESfiend said:

This is one that @scaryice usually completes. Thats probably why it has a low point total. He usually hammers it out early. I remember hearing there is some sort of shortcut where the game can be beat in 10 or 15 minutes if you know what to do/where to go. 

I only beat Die Hard for the first time last year, you're probably thinking of @Vectrex28 - he beat it from 2013-18.

Edited by scaryice