IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

7 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Kung Fu is another good example of this. Most people just beat the first loop and move on. Playing it for high score is a totally different beast and makes for a much deeper and more rewarding experience.

I need to get back to my effort toward rolling the score on kung fu. I got 586k right before new years, but then shifted my game time toward this thread. That game is a ton of fun trying to rack points. Ive never rolled a score on anything and it was starting to feel possible with that one, though I know with the increasing difficulty of the game being "over halfway" is not at all actually half way there

My streak of consecutive days with a game completed ended yesterday so I'm going for a weekly goal now. Also @scaryice must be joking about @BeaIank because everyone from the contests knows she is the NES queen. If that's actually true that people pm about not believing her skill, then that is the ultimate compliment. Hopefully she's flattered and not offended. 

Edited by BriGuy82
  • Like 2

I didn't mean to imply I was casting doubt on Bea's skills with Championship Pool. I've been around with her since the Nintendoage forums and remember her always taking down challenging games and topping the leaderboards. There is no doubt in my mind she did it that quickly.

It's one of the few NES games I've played and havnt been able to beat yet. Was simply asking for advice to help me out, which she offered via PM right away. Was hoping to learn something from her to make my life easier.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

It's one of the few NES games I've played and havnt been able to beat yet. Was simply asking for advice to help me out, which she offered via PM right away. Was hoping to learn something from her to make my life easier.

The advice Tablew posted is invaluable. Once you get the hang of them, you can repeat them and quickly identify whether you are using the right power and spin by observing the ghost ball.
I will show you all my shots so you can try to replicate them.

Also, if you manage to beat it this year, I will retract my beating of it so you can be the one claiming it. Beating Championship Pool for the first time ever deserves that.
Game is annoying as hell!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

My streak of consecutive days with a game completed ended yesterday so I'm going for a weekly goal now. Also @scaryice must be joking about @BeaIank because everyone from the contests knows she is the NES queen. If that's actually true that people pm about not believing her skill, then that is the ultimate compliment. Hopefully she's flattered and not offended. 

I didn't complete anything today. I guess we are just getting old! 

• Haha 1

Championship Pool is on TMR's list of hardest games that he beat for Nesmania. The only one of these I can beat is Bump n Jump.

•  
  • The Miracle Piano Teaching System
  • Championship Pool
  • Ikari Warriors (no continue code/ABBA)
  • To the Earth
  • High Speed
  • R.C. Pro-Am
  • Arkanoid
  • Bump 'N Jump
  • Q*Bert
  • Michael Andretti's World GP
Edited by mbd39

13 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The advice Tablew posted is invaluable. Once you get the hang of them, you can repeat them and quickly identify whether you are using the right power and spin by observing the ghost ball.
I will show you all my shots so you can try to replicate them.

Also, if you manage to beat it this year, I will retract my beating of it so you can be the one claiming it. Beating Championship Pool for the first time ever deserves that.
Game is annoying as hell!

Lol, that's not necessary. I'm down to 57 NES games left to beat for the North American Library so I'm going to have to deal with it again soon regardless. If I can borrow a bit of your insight to help me out I'd be thrilled enough with that.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 2

Graphics Team · Posted

Does anyone know if there's a reliable way to tell what stage you're on in Xevious? I highly doubt I'll be able to loop it, but I at least want to know how close I am haha...

And with that being said, I think I've run out of games I can complete for this thread (since my copy of Kirby's Adventure is stuck at my parent's place in the States and I never dumped it to my laptop haha). I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines now, hoping for the VGS full-library completion streak to continue!

-CasualCart

• Sad 1

One place where I can imagine some confusion about the rules -- and which could lead a person to clear a bunch of games "ahead of schedule" -- is if someone didn't realize that emulator speedup is forbidden. Not sure if every user will understand that "frame skip" refers to that, and since it confers no gameplay advantage (except stamina) it might not occur to everyone that it's disallowed.

You could probably do Bases Loaded in a single, exhausting day if you just fast forwarded your way through it whenever possible, since the at-bats after you score are meaningless. And lots of RPGs and strategy games would go from 10+ hours to a fraction of that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Does anyone know if there's a reliable way to tell what stage you're on in Xevious? I highly doubt I'll be able to loop it, but I at least want to know how close I am haha...

And with that being said, I think I've run out of games I can complete for this thread (since my copy of Kirby's Adventure is stuck at my parent's place in the States and I never dumped it to my laptop haha). I'll be cheering you all on from the sidelines now, hoping for the VGS full-library completion streak to continue!

-CasualCart

Here are some maps that might help you out: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/579616-xevious/faqs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The real-time sections are fairly fun, except for the fact that the hit detection is a little wonky and it feels like button inputs get eaten...a lot...but the core gameplay is interesting at least, though difficult.

It was pretty fast, definitely helps using walkthroughs, maps, and lots of boo bombs. They stun the bosses so they can't dodge and won't attack you. When I went up against the final boss he only attacked me once. I stunned twice and dragon kicked the hell out of him. Also got lucky with the stun durations (hence what I said about luck above), I think my second stun lasted ~4 rounds? And one more anecdote about boo bombs...I didn't get attacked by Wiz once, because I stunned him, called my bro, and dragon kicked him to death before he acted.

Oh hey guys. Just dropping in to say that I beat the following games today. No big deal.

To the Earth

Ultimate Air Combat

Rally Bike

Infiltrator

Dungeon Magic

Mission: Impossible

Just kidding! 🤣🤣 I didn't beat any of those games.

The honors system is cool, and this thread is just for fun.... but it baffles me how in 2021 anyone can say that they cannot take a pic of the end screen and post it. It literally takes 10 seconds to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

@Daniel_Doyce

i did championship pool last month the advice I would give is to just really take your time on each and every shot, you really have to get creative against some of the later opponents.  Basically check all the different power levels with all the different amounts of spin. I would routinely spend ten plus minutes on a single shot to figure out my best option.  Another thing that tricked me was the ghost ball only ricochets like twice so sometimes it looks like it disappears into the pocket but really it’s grazing the cushion and missing.

I was going to say the same thing. This is what I did when I beat it. Just very carefully figure out every shot. It was very time consuming. Pretty sure I walked away at times, leaving the system running. I didn't find Lunar Pool nearly as hard, but also time consuming. Although I haven't played either of them since I beat them several years ago.

9 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

The honors system is cool, and this thread is just for fun.... but it baffles me how in 2021 anyone can say that they cannot take a pic of the end screen and post it. It literally takes 10 seconds to do.

I thought the same thing, until NN said he doesn't have a smart phone. Imagine you don't have a smart phone and then tell me how easy it is to upload a photo to the internet. I guess I have a digital camera still, for some reason, so I could use that, then connect it to my computer, download the photos, and attach them to the thread. But that assumes you have a camera for some reason, and it's still a pain.

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

I don't have a smart phone, so for me, yes posting a pic is very easy, but it takes me time to dig out my digital camera, make sure an SD card is in there... take pic, transfer to pc, then upload/post.  It's just one of those things where, yes it's "easy" but it's a big enough of a nuisance that I don't want to be bothered.  I've done it for contests, like the weekly NES contests on NA every once in a while, but I certainly wouldn't do it for every single NES game I've completed...

TLDR version: you may think smart phones are ubiquitous, but not all people have or want a smart phone in 2021 🙂

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

I killed everybody on Romance of the Three Kingdoms. But I didn't get an ending? Do I really have to fill every state with a general? There's nobody else left to fight... weird. Anybody know how I get an ending?

You have to put one general in every single province and then wait for the end of the month to trigger the ending, and if you don't have enough generals left to do that, you technically cannot "beat" the game.  So hopefully you haven't spread yourself too thin...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You have to put one general in every single province and then wait for the end of the month to trigger the ending, and if you don't have enough generals left to do that, you technically cannot "beat" the game.  So hopefully you haven't spread yourself too thin...

Yeah well that sure is annoying. OK, working on it. You can "search" for generals and find more, but you can only recruit them with Cao Cao. I've already gotten back 2 of them. But what a pain in the ass.

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Championship Pool is on TMR's list of hardest games that he beat for Nesmania. The only one of these I can beat is Bump n Jump.

•  
  • The Miracle Piano Teaching System
  • Championship Pool
  • Ikari Warriors (no continue code/ABBA)
  • To the Earth
  • High Speed
  • R.C. Pro-Am
  • Arkanoid
  • Bump 'N Jump
  • Q*Bert
  • Michael Andretti's World GP

Never played bump and jump. I have also beat exactly one from that list, rc pro am. I beat it once 5 or 6 years back and it is nails. Tried one time somewhat seriosly since and failed. I also beat rad racer 2 around the same time. Ive been playing that tonight and some last night and my ass is getting kicked.

Ive played ikari, qbert and michael world gp and they are all crazy hard. Obviously I have to get a copy of championship pool to see what all the rage is about.