IGNORED

Reproduction Game Section

shauntendo64

What about adding a section for discussion of reproduction games. I’ve found the nintendoage forums to be very helpful in learning to make games in the past. I was thinking a thread to ask questions/discuss reproduction builds. I could possibly create an nes wiring guide if there is interest. Also a thread to share labels or case art the community has created for use with reproduction games. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Moderator · Posted

You're right, probably not appropriate @Link. Generally speaking, "how to" make reproductions isn't a good idea. Labels would be ok as long as they're not of existing gaming. But how to wire up a repro isn't something that belongs here. There are people out there that would take the information and attempt to create one to one copies of existing games in the hopes of selling them as the real thing. 

I agree completely, but it's really up to VGS to decide whether illegal activities are appropriate content, and so far it seems to be welcome here.

Either way, my stance is that it would definitely litter the homebrew section if it that section were to be used for it. Which would be sad for me, because I'm very interested in actual homebrew, but I would appreciate a way to filter out any talk about bootleg productions which I have zero interest in seeing.

Edited by Sumez

15 hours ago, fsped09 said:

You're right, probably not appropriate @Link. Generally speaking, "how to" make reproductions isn't a good idea. Labels would be ok as long as they're not of existing gaming. But how to wire up a repro isn't something that belongs here. There are people out there that would take the information and attempt to create one to one copies of existing games in the hopes of selling them as the real thing. 

Agreed, nobody wants 1 to 1 copies of games as we’ve all talked about for years. Adding a “how to make” section for repros is not a good idea.
However having a separate section for reproduction releases would be a nice idea. This would be for games like I and others have released in the past, games that have been found but not dumped/released yet (cib,cart or even just the rom for example sim city for the nes) and newly created hacks for example the latest hack I knew of before NA was done was Deadpool. This would also keep the homebrew section less congested.

Edited by Johnnyboy113
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

A homebrew/translations section would be cool. I surf RomHacking.net a lot and they have tons of great stuff!

That’s a good point and one I meant to say as well. I’d say translations of a hack belong in a reproduction section but, translations of a homebrew approved by the creator of that homebrew should be in the homebrew section . More then likely though (From what I’ve seen) a homebrew game is never put up for sale until it’s 100% ready and on rare occasion patched after that.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this thread. Sad to see everyone thinks its a bad idea to have the info. Just because some can do bad things with it, doesnt mean the info should be hidden .It was one of my favorite parts of the hobby to make my own repros years ago when I had the time. It's what got me interested in electronics to begin with and led to me going to college for it. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I was thinking maybe a section for hacks/reproductions could be a good thing too. However, I would only include reproductions of pirated games, hacks, and translations of games not released outside of japan. Any reproductions of games released either in EU or NA should be prohibited.

An while I am not necessary against reproductions of very expensive games (as for many of us that's the only way we'd get our hands on em), it's only so as long as they are clearly marked or on different colored carts. Preferably I'd like the rom to also display it.