IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII - PlayStation 1 - Variants

I’m just wondering if anyone has a list of the variants with this game or knows of one I am missing. I know of four at the moment but I’ve heard there could be as much as 6 or 7.  

1. Black Label First print with floating i in masterpiece.

2. Corrected black label fixing floating i

3. Double Sephiroth art inside case 

4. Greatest Hits Version

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

I believe there are two disc variants, as well.  There is a white label disc and a shiny label disc.  I believe the first coincides with the black disc and the second with the shiny disc, but that would need to be verified.  

White label discs are from black label games and the shinny discs are from the greatest hit releases.

They do have games with silver bottoms instead of black from when Square Enix re-released some games.  Not sure if they did a re-release with FF VII but I know they did with FF VIII.

1 hour ago, Hybrid said:

If you are counting errors as variants this should count as wellspacer.png

I usually consider a variant something that was done in fairly large numbers.  

That is probably something I would call a misprint unless there is a good amount of them out there.

That is one I’ve never seen before so I’ll have to do some research.  Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

• 5 months later...

This was an answer I was looking for too, mine seems to be another and the only hint at it I found was from years ago "We are currently researching to see if there was a third variant that accompanied these two".  There was the first release apparently with the original ESRB rating box then the second with the floating "I" and change to the ESRB box.  Mine doesn't have the misprint but has the changed ESRB box...can't seem to see it on any others that I've seen.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, Bubbapauls said:

I’m just wondering if anyone has a list of the variants with this game or knows of one I am missing. I know of four at the moment but I’ve heard there could be as much as 6 or 7.  

I'm pretty sure this is a common misconception. The very first printings of FF7 did not have the misprint i. A later batch did, and \it was then corrected later. 

1 hour ago, Startyde said:

I'm pretty sure this is a common misconception. The very first printings of FF7 did not have the misprint i. A later batch did, and \it was then corrected later. 

Mine seems to match neither of the two Black Labels I have found though.  I see one with the floating "I" and version of the ESRB Ratings box, I see the one without the floating I and a different version of the Ratings Box.  Mine doesn't have the floating I but has the same Rating's Box type as the one that does.  I haven't found another as of yet pictured that does so?

On 10/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, Bubbapauls said:

3. Double Sephiroth art inside case 

I assume this is what you meant, but that double-Sephiroth was a GH.  If there's a black label variant, I've never seen it, but there always seems to be 1-2 available on eBay.

Nope, I saw the GH Variants but mine is a Black Label.  The two I find online are the "Black Label" with the hanging "I" and the TEEN 13+, Comic Mishief ESRB Ratings and then the version with the correct "Masterpiece" but a TEEN "Realistic Violence" smaller ESRB Ratings box.  Mine is neither and like I said can't seem to find another on e-bay or google so far...it has the correct "Masterpiece" without the floating I but has the larger ESRB box as on that version rather than the other.  Any thoughts?  Just an oddity that I didn't see on the museum/variants or elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

Skippy what about the discs? And pictures would help to

The disc's are normal but here is the discrepancy on the case that I was looking into.  The two pictured together is an image from the museum which compares the two and you can see the different rating boxes.  The "I" isn't as clear there as in the closer up shot, 2nd image on the left hand copy.  Image 3 the copy by itself is mine which is neither of the two of which all the info I've found says there is...  It has the correct type and with the larger rating box.  Like I said just an oddity when trying to figure out if it was the first or second printing...has elements of both!

fef94-ffvii2bus2bmisprint-2.jpg

df11a-ffvii2bus2bmisprint-3.jpg

Myff7.jpg

8 minutes ago, Hybrid said:

It's probably the third printing the realistic violence then masterp ece then that one.

So there was a third of the black label?  All the other I've found has suggested just the two and then goes on to the Greatest hit's or the error version part GH/Part BL.  Just hadn't found any other info.

And sprinkled in those three print runs are the disc printing errors and a run with disc 3 having two rings near the hole.

FF7_comet_D2.jpg

ff7blankd3_zps9xfsxcje.jpg

FF7cracked.jpeg

The GH/BL I think is second print of the GH the double sephiroth first and to "fix" it. 

Either way it's incredibly difficult to make sense of believe me I tried myself