IGNORED

Sequel Showdown #1 - Mega Man

AstralSoul

Sequel Showdown #1 - Mega Man  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which mainline Mega Man is your favorite?

On 12/27/2020 at 10:03 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I don't really like 7. Sprites are too big, game is too long, tons of slow down, and didn't care for the story. I just found it so inferior to Mega Man X as well which I played before 7.

Completely with you on MM7. I think it gets compared to MMX a lot which only hurts it since X is so fluid and a blast to play whereas 7 feels so slow and clunky and for the speed of gameplay the sprites are indeed way too big. I had a similar problem with 8. 

• Like 1

I kind of intentionally left 9 and 10 off my list of things to mention, really anything beyond the NES stuff as I just didn't play it as much, but I did have them.  fcgamer was kind of a cop out as it was easily focusing on the original intended spread of 8bit titles.

That said, the good doctor as often he does nailed it.  NES hard is bullshit, it's a trope peddled by idiots who intentionally make games too hard, then want to finger the blame to a generation of games from 30 years into the past as why hoping peoples nostalgia or lack of kept up skills will reinforce that line of crap.  Sickeningly it's not just softened up gamers who think this but softer minded developers, which can squarely be left at the foot of the toads who did MM9 and 10.  MM9 I touched for some hours on the Wii, and 10 I pretty much exclusively ignored outright largely due to #9.  The game was made ahem 'nes hard' by having no room for error in multiple stage locations, off sight cheap shots, garbage appearing out of nowhere, etc.  It was beyond just tricky patterns into some S&M level of sheer abuse for the pleasuring of being a dick to those who paid to play it.  I've never re-purchased them, tempted at times given how disliked by most and cheap they are given they're bundled with other better games.  Yet I haven't, probably since I don't want to incur the wrath of buying another controller.

MM7 and 8, 8 well it was kind of just bad, didn't feel, sound, look or play right which at least 9 and 10 at a point had going for it in some ways.  MM7 felt more like the NES games than 8 wished it did, it was nice, thinking about it through Rockman & Forte was b etter, shame they butchered and fouled up the GBA version entirely as I finished and enjoyed the SFC cart I had 20 years ago.  And then there's MM11, I had it, but I wasn't fair to it, I didn't hate it, felt better than the last 3-4 of them easily, but the dual gear thing was kind of a put off, and I had other games at the time so it got like permanently shelved and eventually just sold.  I could and would likely return to it, Switch is where I had it, maybe there again, maybe PC(Steam) I don't know.  Switch supposedly for Nintendos intent is entering into its mid-life as sales are increasing, not waning, so I could do it.  My brother tells me in 2021 they have something 'Pro' like intended, so I could see how that like PS4/XB1 extend the generation out that many more years.

• Like 2

Oh and yeah a special note, do NOT ignore Mega Man V, the Game Boy one.  It's like one I'd love to call like Mega Man 6.5 or something (going by release chronological order.)  The only 100% unique title as the other 4 games were 50/50 splits between 2 NES titles with some thankful tweaking for the format.  It's a real high point for the 8bit games to go out on compared to MM6.  A very unique style, format, and story to this one as well, not just another Wiley thrasher.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Oh and yeah a special note, do NOT ignore Mega Man V, the Game Boy one.  It's like one I'd love to call like Mega Man 6.5 or something (going by release chronological order.)  The only 100% unique title as the other 4 games were 50/50 splits between 2 NES titles with some thankful tweaking for the format.  It's a real high point for the 8bit games to go out on compared to MM6.  A very unique style, format, and story to this one as well, not just another Wiley thrasher.

MMV is a good one. I debated whether or not to put it on the list but I wanted to stick to the "core" numbered Mega Mans. But MMV was good enough it would've been a better MM7 so MM6.5 sounds appropriate. It is too bad the other GB MM titles were just half-ports of the NES titles though. I would've liked to see more unique GB titles.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Rockman World games are mostly good outside of the second one, and 5 is a really awesome game.

I'm not sure I'd ever compare it to 6 (why hate on MM6 at all??), since it's still held back by a lot of the Game Boy awkwardness mostly coming from its resolution, but it's better than 7-10 by a long shot.

The soundtrack is really good too.

• Like 1

@AstralSoul@Sumez

Basically YES.

MMVGB is fantastic, it was true to the series yet strangely struck out entirely onto its own unlike the retread of the other 4, which I didn't mind all that much, especially #2GB since it warped MM2+3 into one game which I really appreciated so it was fun on the go as the NES wasn't pocket portable until PocketNES basically. :D  I kind of just made up on the fly MM6.5 there looking up the dates of when the games arrived.  I was going to use 5.5 but 6 came out chronologically months before 5 on GB.

I don't get some of the hate on MM6, the stage ideas and bosses were pretty decent.  The hate comes really from them trying to try-hard a bit too much adding in some strange junk, hidden needed paths and the rest.  It just was badly executed, less so when MMX finally rolled around, but even that kind of blew having to re-run stages repeatedly to get the collectibles instead of being a more SOTN style of format it ended up a clunky mess of SOTN and MM design.  MM6 though isn't just clunky but in that respect, kind of painful and almost makes me think that was as much a reason as Capcom having moved on why Nintendo had to self publish #6 for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

@AstralSoul@Sumez

Basically YES.

MMVGB is fantastic, it was true to the series yet strangely struck out entirely onto its own unlike the retread of the other 4, which I didn't mind all that much, especially #2GB since it warped MM2+3 into one game which I really appreciated so it was fun on the go as the NES wasn't pocket portable until PocketNES basically. 😄 I kind of just made up on the fly MM6.5 there looking up the dates of when the games arrived.  I was going to use 5.5 but 6 came out chronologically months before 5 on GB.

I don't get some of the hate on MM6, the stage ideas and bosses were pretty decent.  The hate comes really from them trying to try-hard a bit too much adding in some strange junk, hidden needed paths and the rest.  It just was badly executed, less so when MMX finally rolled around, but even that kind of blew having to re-run stages repeatedly to get the collectibles instead of being a more SOTN style of format it ended up a clunky mess of SOTN and MM design.  MM6 though isn't just clunky but in that respect, kind of painful and almost makes me think that was as much a reason as Capcom having moved on why Nintendo had to self publish #6 for them.

Yea I don't understand why 6 is so maligned. Especially compared to 7 and 8, both which I find slow and clunky as I previously stated. 6 just feels like 1-5 again with slight changes to the stage design philosophy. The only thing I can really think of is series fatigue. After MM3 you really don't see anything new in MM 4-6 except the ability to charge your beam and the branching paths of 6. So I guess people just felt that each sequel was just a direct rehash of the ones before it which I get an extent but at the same time if one is fun then why aren't they all? Exception being 7 and 8 just because the look and feel were changed not for the better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

which I get an extent but at the same time if one is fun then why aren't they all?

Yeah. Fatigue makes sense at the time, but not really when looking back at them.
People now are hungering for new games that follow that formula, so why shouldn't existing games that already do that count for anything? 🙂 

As long as you haven't played all 6 NES Mega Man games, you still have exciting games in the series to discover. How you'd rate them individually isn't that important when they are all good.

• Like 1

3 > 2 > 1

I like the slide. Feel like 3's difficulty in the robot master stages was probably a little more even than 2's (the levels of which are generally pretty easy besides Heat and Quick Man's sudden spikes) and ramps up for the Doc Robot stages. Shame 3's Castle is so brief and easy (a couple bosses aside) and the final boss isn't very good.

Haven't played 10 and 11, haven't replayed the others recently enough to say for sure (4 through 6 coming soon) but fairly confident 1 is the outright worst and that 7 and 8 aren't on par with 2 through 6. I definitely remember thinking Mega Man 9 was way harder than the NES games when I played it, glad it isn't just me. Agreed that in general the difficulty of NES games is wildly overstated.

Mega Man 1's difficulty in particular. It's got some annoyances and questionable design that make it not as good as later games (Mega Man doesn't control as well, two out of six weapons are basically worthless, Elec Man 3HKOs you, Magnet Beam is mandatory for Wily 1 but you need Super Arm to get it, Foot Holders in Ice Man's stage, no passwords) but not much that should be a real showstopper. I think its particular reputation for difficulty mostly boils down to not having Energy Tanks so you have to actually learn the bosses to some extent instead of having an easy out. I generally only use Energy Tanks if I make it to the boss door at low health (Exception: Wily Capsule in 7) and don't see too much difference overall - the shorter length compensates for any increase in difficulty per level. Yellow Devil in particular is pretty much just learning what the pattern for the bottom two rows is and how to jump them.

It's been awhile but I'd say Dr. Wily's Revenge is actually better than Mega Man 1. Mega Man himself handles better, the stages pretty much do their own thing and freely include Mega Man 2 elements or new stuff where they'd make sense (generally to its benefit), there are passwords, Elec Man no longer kills you in three hits, Cut Man isn't a total joke, and the two MM1 Robot Masters they didn't include had terrible weapons anyways. On the downsides, there's the lack of color obviously. Shame Capcom never actually made that colorized collection on GBA. The reduced screen space is a bit of a bummer but since the designers took it into account and the stages aren't close adaptations of MM1 to begin with it's not too big a deal. Ice Man's pattern, not complex in the first place, was simplified presumably for that exact reason. The Wily levels are pretty long and if you Game Over at the bosses it's quite the trip back.

• Like 1