IGNORED

Ideas on how to promote Amazon products

phart010

Anyone have any ideas on how to promote an Amazon product? I launched a water bottle about a month ago and I’m using Amazons pay per click promotions to get ranking. It’s pretty expensive.

So far product sales have not exceeded advertising costs 😭 Its a solid product but I think I’ll need to do more than just rely on Amazon for advertising.

Dont know how many more months I’ll be able to afford being in the red like this 😓😓😓

I can't believe I'm suggesting this because it usually annoys me but... ship 25-50 them to related YouTubers.  If it's "just a water bottle", then you might want to send it to people with maybe just 15,000-25,000 subs.  Otherwise, you may not get spotlighted/reviewed.

Even though I don't love those types of videos, they do usually produce honest reviews and when I am interested in something specific, I do appreciate seeing the honest YouTuber talking about said product.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RH said:

I can't believe I'm suggesting this because it usually annoys me but... ship 25-50 them to related YouTubers.  If it's "just a water bottle", then you might want to send it to people with maybe just 15,000-25,000 subs.  Otherwise, you may not get spotlighted/reviewed.

Even though I don't love those types of videos, they do usually produce honest reviews and when I am interested in something specific, I do appreciate seeing the honest YouTuber talking about said product.

Playing off this idea, maybe get some twitch streamers to have your bottle sitting in frame, maybe mentioning it specifically once or twice. They have to drink water anyway, doesn't seem too intrusive. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Playing off this idea, maybe get some twitch streamers to have your bottle sitting in frame, maybe mentioning it specifically once or twice. They have to drink water anyway, doesn't seem too intrusive. 

Any suggestions on some streamers? I’m not a twitch user, but I’ll get on these platforms to start doing some promotion

27 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Your answer to being over budget on advertising is to spend more on advertising?

🧐

I wouldn’t say my advertising costs are over budget. I actually think it’s around where it needs to be (possibly could go a little higher).

I know what the sales potential is for this product, because I collaborate with someone who sells the same exact product.

The issue is that my sales are not yet high enough to cover my ad spend. I think I’m at the painful beginning where the reviews are just not there, so some people that may be getting targeted with the ads are reluctant to follow through with a purchase because of the low quantity of reviews.

So I think I need to give it a jump start right now by some other means just to get initial reviews. Once the initial reviews are there then Amazon pay per click advertising will work more efficiently.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Is the product gaming related?

It is not gaming related. Is it not allowed here?

I didn’t initially post a direct link to my product to keep this as a general discussion, because I can see this thread could easily turn into an advertising campaign. 

But I did post my link just a minute ago because Mega Tank asked. I can remove the link if it’s against site rules

Edited by phart010

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I didn’t initially post a direct link to my product initially to keep this as a general discussion, because I can see this thread could easily turn into an advertising campaign. 

But I did post my link just earlier because Mega Tank asked. I can remove it if it’s against site rules

Oh no hah, no rule against it really. I was just curious.

Frankly if people come here just to advertise their shit they're gonna get shat on by the community, we hardly have to moderate that. 

Obviously that's not the case with you. You're an active member with a legit question who is selling a thing. We have an everything section for a reason. If you're doing something cool or if you have a question about something IRL nobody is gonna have an issue with that. Share away! 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

I didn’t initially post a direct link to my product to keep this as a general discussion, because I can see this thread could easily turn into an advertising campaign. 

But I did post my link just a minute ago because Mega Tank asked. I can remove the link if it’s against site rules

That would be a great first step, make it gaming related. You have plenty of potential people here who might like it. A water bottle is a dime a dozen, if you differentiate it by making it for a specific niche, you might get more traction 

40 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Not sure if this will have an impact on reaching a global audience but it says it will cost me $25aud to ship and I’m a amazon prime member. For me that would be a deal breaker.

Same price for US, but I believe it's supposed to be comparable to a Hydro flask, which are $10-12 more for the same capacity. So it could be a good deal for the right customer.

Edited by Aguy

Just find these youtube/instagram characters and ask them for a sponsorship they'll latch onto anything for a buck. Take into account the persons viewer base, what you paid and how much you're selling compared to when you didn't partner up.

But why someone would order and then wait around for water bottles to arrive i don't know. You'd be better off figuring out whether you can sell some bulk amount to physical stores.

Edited by cartman

43 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Not sure if this will have an impact on reaching a global audience but it says it will cost me $25aud to ship and I’m a amazon prime member. For me that would be a deal breaker.

Sorry for the let down. At this point focusing on North American market since I’m just getting started. Eventually if things go well I may ship some units to a warehouse closer to Australia to lower shipping costs and time

5 minutes ago, Aguy said:

Same price for US, but I believe it's supposed to be comparable to a Hydro flask, which are $10-12 more for the same capacity. So it could be a good deal for the right customer.

It is essentially a hydroflask.

My buddy who does this same product started off with an equivalent to the Yeti tumbler and he was actually using the same supplier as Yeti. His lids even said Yeti on them. He was sent a legal complaint from Yeti and had to discontinue that product.

I believe hydroflask may be using the same manufacturer as us, but this particular design is fair game.

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

Any suggestions on some streamers? I’m not a twitch user, but I’ll get on these platforms to start doing some promotion

I don't use twitch either unless it's GDQ time. You can look at twitch tracker.com to scout some different channels, see if they're a good fit, have an active viewership, ect...

17 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Sorry for the let down. At this point focusing on North American market since I’m just getting started. Eventually if things go well I may ship some units to a warehouse closer to Australia to lower shipping costs and time

That makes sense, wasn't sure what your initial target was. Hope it goes well, they actually look like really nice water bottles.

Here's a thought.  You could reach out to some fitness companies that sell branded material, tell them you'll ship 5 to their office and see if they want to work out a bulk purchase and you can print their logo on it.

My wife is a trained instructor for Revelation Wellness. You've probably never heard of them, but they have a network of thousands of trainers and many more fans and followers.  I just checked their site.  They have a standard water bottle, but nothing like a hydroflask/yeti.  You could give them a try.  I know their are many other organizations like this but if you can work out a decent wholesale deal, you might be able to move an initial shipment of 100 and potentially more if they sell well.

Another similar organization is Fitgirls.com (ok, my wife is the one that works out, not me!) and they have a sizable Instagram program.  It looks like they just sell apparel, but who knows, if you can get in contact with them, maybe they can make a large purchase.

There are a LOT of smallish organizations geared towards fitness that have 25-100,000 followers.  I think these are the organizations that would be most motivated to get branded vacuum-sealed cup, but you have to get it to them a reasonable discount so they too can make a profit.  I doubt you are there yet, but I think if you can get in with 2-3 of these organizations, you might be able to sell a few thousand of these in 2021.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

So I’m taking a Marketing class as part of my MBA. Learning that one of the things about marketing is determining that my product has to be not just a product, but must also be the manifestation of a statement for the customer. In order to determine what this statement is, I have to have a vision for why I am offering my product. I never really thought about it this way.

Just sitting around thinking about what I value in products: practicality, simplicity, smart design, durability, portability. As for a vision, well I think I’m a pretty simple guy.. I definitely don’t live a life of luxury. I live modestly within my means.

I am hard working, to me luxury means eating wholesome good tasting food and having the ability to travel. I think I value and enjoy traveling more than anything else in life. Whether it’s traveling to another country by plane, or traveling to another city by car, or traveling to the beach or the mountains for hiking, parks for camping, I love traveling.

I guess for a vision I think that everyone should be able to enjoy the luxury of travel, even if it is modest travel. Even if all you can afford is to carpool with a coworker, friend or family member to your local state parks, everyone should be able to leave behind the stresses of the daily grind and getaway to a place of relaxation.

And when you are traveling one of the most basic needs is drink. But why settle for mediocre drink while traveling? The Tasa water bottle is durable, it is designed for travel and can handle the rough encounters inherent in travel. Also Tasa keeps the hot coffee hot and the cold beverages cold. It’s available in personal sizes and also in family sizes for when you want to share the gift of refreshment. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by phart010

9 hours ago, phart010 said:

In order to determine what this statement is, I have to have a vision for why I am offering my product. I never really thought about it this way.

I remember we had spoken about your bottle a long time back.

What exactly drew you towards this bottle in the first place? What made you say "Wow, I think everyone could use one of these!" Back when you first decided to go for the bottle, what was your driving factor, do you remember?

I do like that carpooling to the local parks budget traveling thing though. It immediately makes me think of a good friend here and his wife, who travel every week, yet they are not very well-off.

Does the cost of your water bottle fit in with bring a simple guy, or is it priced a bit higher / lower? I'm just spitballing here, to give you some things to think about.

I love marketing and sales, I've got a bit of a knack for it which I guess I picked up from my father.

24 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I remember we had spoken about your bottle a long time back.

What exactly drew you towards this bottle in the first place? What made you say "Wow, I think everyone could use one of these!" Back when you first decided to go for the bottle, what was your driving factor, do you remember?

I do like that carpooling to the local parks budget traveling thing though. It immediately makes me think of a good friend here and his wife, who travel every week, yet they are not very well-off.

Does the cost of your water bottle fit in with bring a simple guy, or is it priced a bit higher / lower? I'm just spitballing here, to give you some things to think about.

I love marketing and sales, I've got a bit of a knack for it which I guess I picked up from my father.

To be honest, I was drawn to the product first. It is typical for most businesses to be product centric in the beginning. But as the company starts to become more market aware, they begin to develop this customer centric approach where they decide why they do what they do and align the products to that vision.

What attracted me to the product was the small shipping size (less shipping cost), lack of moving parts (less breaking/warranty claims), quality, durability and price point. Admittedly, I was looking at the qualities in the product that would make it beneficial for me, the seller, to be able to make an entry into the market.  However, all of these same qualities that the product has can be inverted and looked at from the customers perspective. And further they can be reimagined through the lens of my vision for why I am doing what I am doing. 

• Like 1