IGNORED

Children's Phonics Book Issues

fcgamer

Every year when I get to this part of the phonics book we use at the school where I teach English, I run into a situation. And it always revolves around this particular picture.

The book presents this thing under the frontal Gg sounds page, but that's obviously not what I would normally call a guitar. Yes, I know perhaps it's a goofy acoustic bass guitar, but I've never ever in my life heard someone state "Oh I play guitar" when what they are really saying is "Oh I play bass (guitar)". I then thought maybe this thing was a uke, yet it looks a bit weird to be a ukelele.

So I took the time to teach my students about various musical instruments, and then has them all write "b" for bass, despite it not being a choice in the instructions. I bet I'll get a few parent questions / complaints tomorrow regarding this. 🙂

To make things even worse, a few pages later they actually do have a picture of what we'd normally refer to as a guitar, so I've got no idea how they screwed up the earlier picture like this.

IMG20201221102718.jpg

Some times in illustrations, repeated things are reduced because when you draw them, it makes the drawing to complex when it's intended to be simple.  Exhibit A:

Four_Fingered_Hands_3338.png

So yeah, that's a guitar and it probably is, in fact, intended for use in The Simpson's universe.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Yup.  It’s just poorly drawn.  I’d like to point out that there appears to be a pick guard? slapped on behind the bridge.  So uhh yeah.  Also, If we’re getting technical the neck is way too short of a scale to be a bass.

Yeah, I also thought the neck was waaay too short. Such an odd instrument this is, wonder how bit sounds when played?

Editorials Team · Posted
45 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah, I also thought the neck was waaay too short. Such an odd instrument this is, wonder how bit sounds when played?

Probably something like PLINK PLINK PLUNK PLONK

I agree that it's just a simple drawing of a guitar, and it's ok to just teach it that way. The kids are learning the G sound, not details of how to identify specific stringed instruments.

Having said that, it could be a three-string guitar, since those are a thing, except there are 4 pegs. So, given that the strings are definitely off-center above the sound hole and on the bridge, I'd say it's a cavaquinho with a broken string. No good G sounds in that though. At least there's a G string.

I remember when I was in 2nd grade, learning about Celsius. We had to look at a couple of cartoonish drawings and choose what temperature each one was, between 2 choices. There was an image that looked like this:

48902205-piece-of-ice-cube-melting-illustration.jpg

and the choices were 0 degrees and 10 degrees. I chose 0 degrees, because obviously if it were 10 degrees it would be a puddle of not-frozen water. I got it marked wrong, and the teacher said "but it's starting to melt." I'm still bitter about it.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Yup.  It’s just poorly drawn.  I’d like to point out that there appears to be a pick guard? slapped on behind the bridge.  So uhh yeah.  Also, If we’re getting technical the neck is way too short of a scale to be a bass.

I didn't think that was a pick guard but a light reflection.