IGNORED

Game Debate #28: Pac-Man

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Kid Icarus
    • Ecco the Dolphin
    • Blast Corps
    • Shenmue
    • Kingdom Hearts
    • Bioshock
    • Dead Cells

8/10 - Full marks for inspiring everything that came after, but I just like all those other games more.  Ms. Pac-Man would get a 10 from me, as that's the one I played to death in the arcades.  I'm also a big fan of Super Pac-Man.

I actually haven't really seen that many original Pac-Man machines.  Everywhere I've been, the arcades only had the sequels.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

8/10 - Full marks for inspiring everything that came after, but I just like all those other games more.  Ms. Pac-Man would get a 10 from me, as that's the one I played to death in the arcades.  I'm also a big fan of Super Pac-Man.

I actually haven't really seen that many original Pac-Man machines.  Everywhere I've been, the arcades only had the sequels.

Good point about not seeing Pac-Man machines. Ms. Pac-Man replaced it in popularity really quick.

• Like 1

9/10 - It's one of the very earliest video game memories that I have and has a charm and design that is the epitome of vintage video gaming. It's gameplay is timeless. I was never terribly good at it but, even to this day, I still boot up a game of it at times when I'm looking for something satisfying that takes only seconds to get into and can fill as little or as much time as you're willing to give it.

One of the all-time greats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

I like the idea behind Pac-Man, but I don't like having to memorize patterns to pull them off repeatedly in order to master a game, that's just frustrating and exhausting. Not a very good game, but it's obviously legendary.

Aren’t most games like that though? Particularly the ones from the 80s. 

For me, a 9/10. A timeless classic.

• Like 1

Definitely not. Especially not to the degree in the original Pac-Man. Did you ever try going for a high scoring gaming using the expert strategies in the game? It just isn't fun.

Lots of the sequels and spinoff from the game have managed to make the concept work a lot better mostly due to a much more unpredictable game design. People already mentioned Ms. Pac-Man more than a few times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not going to deny the nostalgia bias of playing Pac-Man on a cocktail table at the local pizza place as a kid in the mid '80s.

For me, playing Pac-Man on a cocktail cabinet is the only real way to experience it! That was how I first played Pac-Man in the early 80's and the memory is still strong. I can almost smell the cigarette smoke and cheap beer.🙂

Actually, a friend who is a fellow vintage arcade enthusiast has a cocktail multi-cab in his home office, loaded with Pac-Man (and more) and I've considered getting one myself.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

It's a tough call for me because I completely respect the impact the game has had on the industry, but personally, I have never been able to get into the game.  I enjoy it when I play it, but I cannot play past more than about 2 screens before I'm tired of the game and done with it.  

I voted for Bioshock next week because I love that game and I just happen to be playing through it again right now (HD Collection on Switch).  I would love to discuss that one.  

• Like 2

I'm having trouble coming up with a rating for this one. I have a pretty good understanding of its legacy, I've played it at least a hundred times, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I just can't reconcile all those factors with the fact with its existence today. I would never sit down to play it for more than a few minutes and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. I will say that it has aged better than many other games of that era due its simplicity.

Maybe somewhere in the 8 range due to its importance in history?

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm having trouble coming up with a rating for this one. I have a pretty good understanding of its legacy, I've played it at least a hundred times, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I just can't reconcile all those factors with the fact with its existence today. I would never sit down to play it for more than a few minutes and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. I will say that it has aged better than many other games of that era due its simplicity.

Maybe somewhere in the 8 range due to its importance in history?

No.  Disregard "legacy", "impact", or "historical significance" when doing these.  Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it.