IGNORED

Tis the season of baking

SailorScoutMandy

What are some of your go to holiday recipes? 

Here's one of my favorite: 

Cake: 

4 eggs

1/2 c canola oil

1/2 c water

1/2 c rum*

1 box cake mix*

1 standard box of instant pudding*

Mix eggs, water, oil, and rum. Add cake mix and pudding, mix 3-5 mins. 

Bake at 350F for 40-45 mins in a well greased bundt pan. 

(This also works in a 13 x 9, just bake less time)

Glaze:

1 c sugar

1/4 c water

1 stick unsalted butter 

1/2 c rum

Bring sugar, water, and butter to boil. Remove from heat and add the rum. 

While cake is still in the pan, poke holes into cake and pour half the glaze on. Remove from pan and repeat on other side. 

* Variations: 

Malibu rum, pineapple cake, and vanilla pudding (personal favorite)

Spiced rum, chocolate cake, and chocolate pudding

White rum, white/yellow cake, and vanilla pudding

• Like 2

I've just been sticking with bread baking, throughout the pandemic -- but I haven't done pretzels in awhile (had become a weekly staple during the first few months) and I've mostly reverted to rustic loaves since they are a lot less work and mess.  (I can easily do a rustic loaf on a week night, and prep during an afternoon break from WFH -- but pretzel making is involved enough that it is weekends-only)

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

I've just been sticking with bread baking, throughout the pandemic -- but I haven't done pretzels in awhile (had become a weekly staple during the first few months) and I've mostly reverted to rustic loaves since they are a lot less work and mess.  (I can easily do a rustic loaf on a week night, and prep during an afternoon break from WFH -- but pretzel making is involved enough that it is weekends-only)

We have been making our own bread too. Was impossible to find for awhile so just started making own. So much tastier. I want to make bagels, yummm. 

34 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

We have been making our own bread too. Was impossible to find for awhile so just started making own. So much tastier. I want to make bagels, yummm. 

Just the flour was impossible to find for awhile in the first month or two of things shutting down.  (to where I can't help but buy a 5 lb bag anytime I see one at the store 😛 just to make sure I'll have it later)

Haven't tried doing bagels yet.  Pretzels, I have a recipe that works well for me, and I have a lot of confidence in the end product.  Rustic bread, I've experimented enough with, that I know it's pretty hard to screw it up, and as long as you don't cut it early, it will be good.  And pizza dough is even more forgiving, as long as you make sure you stretch it or roll it thin enough.  (and in ALL cases, it is all about having the oven very hot -- and if you can use a cast iron skillet or a stone to hold the bottom-side heat, you'll end up with a better end result)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Just the flour was impossible to find for awhile in the first month or two of things shutting down.  (to where I can't help but buy a 5 lb bag anytime I see one at the store 😛 just to make sure I'll have it later)

Haven't tried doing bagels yet.  Pretzels, I have a recipe that works well for me, and I have a lot of confidence in the end product.  Rustic bread, I've experimented enough with, that I know it's pretty hard to screw it up, and as long as you don't cut it early, it will be good.  And pizza dough is even more forgiving, as long as you make sure you stretch it or roll it thin enough.  (and in ALL cases, it is all about having the oven very hot -- and if you can use a cast iron skillet or a stone to hold the bottom-side heat, you'll end up with a better end result)

Few weeks ago my fiance went to the store for me and came come with 6 bags of unbleached flour since I was having a hard time finding it. Safe to say I have plenty of flour for now. Haha

My favorite bread recipe is from KAF . Which pretzel recipe do you use?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gloves said:

It was yeast that we couldn't obtain here in Toronto. Of all things. Fuckin everybody HAD to make sourdough that first few weeks. Weirdos. 

I ended up with a huge bag of yeast from Bob mills and then a local bakery was selling stuff cheappppp and I got a pound of yeast from them as well. 

9 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Few weeks ago my fiance went to the store for me and came come with 6 bags of unbleached flour since I was having a hard time finding it. Safe to say I have plenty of flour for now. Haha

We've had great success with Alton Brown's recipe. Here a picture I posted earlier this year in the "What's for dinner" thread.

image.png.fbf85c281a08f648d15a71a3f8c41336.png

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/homemade-soft-pretzels/

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Aguy said:

We've had great success with Alton Brown's recipe. Here a picture I posted earlier this year in the "What's for dinner" thread.

image.png.fbf85c281a08f648d15a71a3f8c41336.png

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/homemade-soft-pretzels/

Alton brown hasn't let me down. Just wish his new show was on hulu, just the reloaded 13 eps. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 7:46 AM, SailorScoutMandy said:

I've tried a few -- the one from "all recipes" or whatever the site is called is pretty solid, and marginally more consistent for me than Alton Brown's recipe.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I generally use that site for jumping points. Lots of good base info. 

Yeah, the nice thing about most basic bread recipes is that you can sort of wing in as long as you cover the basics.  (getting dough to the right texture - i.e. not too dry -- cooking in a really hot oven -- and making sure you have the patience for the cooling phase where the insides are still steam-cooking)

I think it's cool that people bake all kinds "pretty" loaves where they do a good job on the aesthetics -- but I don't put in that level of time and effort and don't mind "funny-looking" loaves.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, the nice thing about most basic bread recipes is that you can sort of wing in as long as you cover the basics.  (getting dough to the right texture - i.e. not too dry -- cooking in a really hot oven -- and making sure you have the patience for the cooling phase where the insides are still steam-cooking)

I think it's cool that people bake all kinds "pretty" loaves where they do a good job on the aesthetics -- but I don't put in that level of time and effort and don't mind "funny-looking" loaves.

It's all about the taste. I've had many dinner looks terrible but taste yum. 

13 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

It's all about the taste. I've had many dinner looks terrible but taste yum. 

It is my honest opinion that the "funnier looking" the outer crust of a bread item is, the better it will all taste, and the better texture it will have.  (big lover of "pizza crust bubbles" :P)

So I'll go through the effort of stretching and folding the dough for a bread loaf, since you need that "work" on the dough for texture -- but I don't bother making it pretty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

It is my honest opinion that the "funnier looking" the outer crust of a bread item is, the better it will all taste, and the better texture it will have.  (big lover of "pizza crust bubbles" :P)

So I'll go through the effort of stretching and folding the dough for a bread loaf, since you need that "work" on the dough for texture -- but I don't bother making it pretty.

My scoring attempts on bread have been pretty funny. Never do it seriously. 

IMG_20201221_120756.jpg

• Like 2