IGNORED

I want to share my standard paper size 1997 drawing of 'Marle' from Chrono Trigger!

Joyomofrobro

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, phart010 said:

When is Square going to redo Chrono Trigger? They keep on remaking Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. What about Chrono Trigger?

I’m sure they are aware that fans would love it.. Do they not think it would sell well??

I've mentioned this before, but somewhere I did read a translation from a statement from some Squaresoft manager/executive who said that consideration for such projects comes from the interest in historical sales, and there re-releases on mobile or other outlets.

Chrono Trigger isn't getting a remake or re-release because those sales numbers aren't there.  Chrono was a late game in the US and $10 more than the typical game for the SNES.  Chrono Cross was panned as just "meh", so it didn't sell to well. Sooooo.... for those reasons (and I guess weak mobile sales) Chrono has been way on the back burner and might not get a remake. 

But, I think there is interest.  They released Chrono for mobile a long time ago.  It's the only game I've seen them give a major update to continue to work on "newer" phones.  If you've ever played a SE game on mobile, they are notorious for keeping their games functioning for 1-2 years before they drop further support.  You can still download a bunch of games that many people immediately report are no longer compatible.  Chrono Trigger is the only game they've updated.  Maybe that's their attempt to continually gauge interest.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

I've mentioned this before, but somewhere I did read a translation from a statement from some Squaresoft manager/executive who said that consideration for such projects comes from the interest in historical sales, and there re-releases on mobile or other outlets.

Chrono Trigger isn't getting a remake or re-release because those sales numbers aren't there.  Chrono was a late game in the US and $10 more than the typical game for the SNES.  Chrono Cross was panned as just "meh", so it didn't sell to well. Sooooo.... for those reasons (and I guess weak mobile sales) Chrono has been way on the back burner and might not get a remake. 

But, I think there is interest.  They released Chrono for mobile a long time ago.  It's the only game I've seen them give a major update to continue to work on "newer" phones.  If you've ever played a SE game on mobile, they are notorious for keeping their games functioning for 1-2 years before they drop further support.  You can still download a bunch of games that many people immediately report are no longer compatible.  Chrono Trigger is the only game they've updated.  Maybe that's their attempt to continually gauge interest.

It puzzles me that they would do a remake of Secret of Mana for PS4/Vita and a remake of Trials of Mana for PS4/Switch.

I get that the sales for Mana were better on SNES than Chrono Trigger, but that’s due to it being a SNES game releasing after the PS1 release date.

If you look at the general sentiment of gamers toward Chrono Trigger versus Secret of Mana, I think most would agree Chrono Trigger is much more worthwhile.

I played through Secret of Mana on SNES recently and it just felt so repetitive and uninspired. The story was also kind of dull. I know I’ll get burned for saying this but I honestly prefer Secret of Evermore over Secret of Mana 🤭

• Haha 1

@phart010 I'm not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised just how out of touch big corporations can be with their fan base.  In fact, I have no clue how popular Chrono Trigger was in Japan compared to their other RPGs.  There's a reasonable chance it just did fair and they are following the interest of the Japanese fanbase, over any other.

I think most of us in the west are really, really, really wanting something new for the Chrono series or even a remake.  However, based off of what ever magic-metrics that SE is looking at, they've you to see it as a viably profitable project.

Now, if they'd just release a Switch collection, of Chrono Trigger and Cross together, maybe they'd get the message if it'd sell well.

28 minutes ago, RH said:

@phart010 I'm not saying you're wrong, but you'd be surprised just how out of touch big corporations can be with their fan base.  In fact, I have no clue how popular Chrono Trigger was in Japan compared to their other RPGs.  There's a reasonable chance it just did fair and they are following the interest of the Japanese fanbase, over any other.

I think most of us in the west are really, really, really wanting something new for the Chrono series or even a remake.  However, based off of what ever magic-metrics that SE is looking at, they've you to see it as a viably profitable project.

Now, if they'd just release a Switch collection, of Chrono Trigger and Cross together, maybe they'd get the message if it'd sell well.

According to Wikipedia, Japan sales were 2.36M making it the third best selling game of 1995.

It says sales abroad were 290k, but then goes on to say it was met with substantial success in North America... If that 290k is split for the rest the rest of the world minus Japan, I don’t know if I’d call that “substantial success”.

But in any case they say the PS1 2001 rerelease as Final Fantasy Chronicles topped the sales charts for over 6 weeks and that being a port of an SNES game.

I think they were disappointed with DS port sales... but I mean come on, how many times do you expect the gamers to buy the same game over and over again?

Edited by phart010

On 1/27/2021 at 1:04 PM, RH said:

You're forgetting a few things.  CT did get a full re-release, there's the DS version, even gave that the manual and poster treatment, and upgraded the game with the 2nd screen being a persistent map among other things.  Not sure how well it sold, but that is when they did do the mobile release you're thinking of.  But that one is not their only major update and also wasn't the first.  They quite well cleaned up Final Fantasy 1 and 2 in that format, not just lifted from GBA or PS1 but nicely so, also redid the Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu in 3D models too calling it the Adventures of(in?) Mana.  I know I'm probably forgetting more, I think some of the other FFs got touched up.  The non-FF FFs... FF Legend(Saga) have been getting hardcore upgraded/remastered too in recent years as well.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're forgetting a few things.  CT did get a full re-release, there's the DS version, even gave that the manual and poster treatment, and upgraded the game with the 2nd screen being a persistent map among other things.  Not sure how well it sold, but that is when they did do the mobile release you're thinking of.  But that one is not their only major update and also wasn't the first.  They quite well cleaned up Final Fantasy 1 and 2 in that format, not just lifted from GBA or PS1 but nicely so, also redid the Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu in 3D models too calling it the Adventures of(in?) Mana.  I know I'm probably forgetting more, I think some of the other FFs got touched up.  The non-FF FFs... FF Legend(Saga) have been getting hardcore upgraded/remastered too in recent years as well.

Yea I know the re-released it on PS1 and DS. And there was additional content like cutscene animations and a new area/final boss on DS. But overall the game was still just the same SNES sprites and and soundtracks.

I guess remake may be too broad of a term to use. People are waiting for that “re-master” of Chrono Trigger. Like the way they remastered FFVII and Secret of Mana on PS4 with full 3D.

And they better get the people who made Dragonball FighterZ to do the 3D models. 😎😎😎

I'm aware of the DS version.  Not owning a SNES until about 2017, it was the version I first played and it's still on my shelf.

But you are right in pointing out Adventure in Mana.  It's no small secret that FF Adventure was and is one of my all time favorite games.  I loved Adventure in Mana because it was tile-for-tile the exact same game (they even kept a "glitch" that allowed fast leveling) and I enjoyed playing the same game I'd played 3-4 times before, just with updated graphics.

I say it's worth pointing out because why would they have done that years ago and never get around to Chrono?  I don't know?  Maybe Chrono Trigger is to complex, or ambitious?  Maybe.  They have definitely done 3D upgrades for old Final Fantasy games but, IMHO, they all weren't "blockbuster"-level conversions.  I think a lot of FF fans would, really, really like to see FF6 get the FF7 Remake treatment, so why hasn't that one been remade?  Probably the same reason they haven't made Chrono-- if/when they do, they want it to be exceptional, and not just a quick-and-dirty 3D upgrade like FF 1/2/4/Adventure.

Shifting gears, does anyone else remember the fan made remake project for Chrono Trigger in 3D?  There was a trailer for it and it looked AMAZING.  This was back in 2005 and once the team went live, they immediately got a C&D.  I don't think they ever posted the source, either.  Let me see if I can find the trailer...

EDIT

Here it is.  This is pretty much the video.  Some doofus took the original trailer and made it look like a "PlayStation" trailerfor 2015, however, the original video is from around 2005-07.  Other than the bumper at the front, it is the same video, as I recall.

Edited by RH