IGNORED

Are movie, TV, and video game critics useless?

Don't listen to critics, listen to your heart.  You know what you like.

The only time I ever look at a review is just so I can see what type of game it is.  There have been plenty of times reviewers bashed a game, but I went out and bought it anyway because I knew I would like it.  The opposite it true also.  I've never played a pokemon or pikmin game, and probably never will.

I absolutely never listen to critics on movies.  No one can tell me Lone Wolf McQuade isn't one of the greatest movies ever made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well now we clearly have to do Tom Cruise year for the movie debates.

...where we'll be doing Magnolia, Edge of Tomorrow, and Tropic Thunder.  Not frickin' Color of Money and Days of Cocktail.  JESU'M PEET.

(not to disparage CoM, but I bet 6 of us have seen it)

Eyes Wide Shut beats Magnolia.

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

As a NASCAR fan, I consider Days of Thunder to be "ok."  It's not a bad movie, but if I'm asked to make a list of 10 great Tom Cruise films, it's probably not in the top 10 for me.

The Firm is another good one I didn't see mentioned above.  

Whats the best Nascar movie then?  Talladega Nights isnt even close.  Very funny, but the story has nothing at all on Days of Thunder.

4 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Whats the best Nascar movie then?  Talladega Nights isnt even close.  Very funny, but the story has nothing at all on Days of Thunder.

I never said it wasn't the best.  I just said that it was "ok."  Unfortunately, there are no great NASCAR movies.  Talladega Nights is a funny movie, but it's a terrible NASCAR movie.  I've only watched 3 one time and it was ok as well.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fox said:

I prefer to play a game myself and draw my own conclusions.   But I think reviews can help put a spotlight on some smaller titles that fly under the radar.

There are so many games released these days, and so many good indie games that it's hard to keep track of them all! Not that I have the time nor money for all that anyway! So, reviews do help. I think steam does a very good job on the indie front - my experience is that if a game has a score of around 90 or above and you're a fan of the genre there's a good chance you'll really enjoy it. Of course, a lower score does not mean you won't enjoy it, it depends on all kinds of factors. However, that's my rule of thumb 🙂

58 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some Californian you are. 😛

And that has to be the worst movie in his entire catalog.

I'm not sure about that. I used to think that too, but I feel like Eyes Wide Shut takes more analysis and has less explained than the rest of Kubrick's work. But I am not 100% behind my thoughts on it. 

You might be right, but if it is his worst movie, that is only because the rest of his work is so special.

***SPOILERS***

I think it is better than Magnolia though because it feels more like real life. Magnolia embellishes life to highlight parts of the human condition where Eyes Wide Shut shows a more realistic relationship between a husband and wife and feels like a potentially real place in society that we don't have access to.

In the movie Cruise seems to love his wife, but he still has thought of lust and infidelity and that is because as men our ultimate innate need is to procreate. I don't think Cruise ever cheats on his wife, but is he truly faithful to her since his eyes wander? And then we find out his wife was at the party. So while Cruise is fighting his innate thoughts between being attracted to the mysterey and beautiful women, whether his marriage remains intact based on the rules of society isn't necessarily his decision because his wife is an independent person. Is Cruise's character justified in his thoughts of infidelity since his wife has hidden thoughts as well or are they just a couple on the rocks and shouldn't be together?

Edited by Californication

Nah, Magnolia is WAY better than eyes wide shut, which I personally found pretty boring.

Then again Magnolia is way more of an ensemble thing it doesn't really feel like a Tom Cruise movie per say, because there are way more people in it.

Recently I was quite impressed by Live Die Repeat, although it's a little blunt, as always Cruise turns in a very natural performance as a cocky asshole, and until the conclusion the film felt fresh and energetic most of the way through, it's a decent ride if you like alien invasion movies...

Speaking of which, did I MENTION Independence Day yet?... Oh, actually we're all forgetting:

war-of-the-worlds-fighting-machine.gif

I know most people think it sucks, but I liked it! 😅

Editorials Team · Posted
55 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Nah, Magnolia is WAY better than eyes wide shut, which I personally found pretty boring.

Then again Magnolia is way more of an ensemble thing it doesn't really feel like a Tom Cruise movie per say, because there are way more people in it.

Recently I was quite impressed by Live Die Repeat, although it's a little blunt, as always Cruise turns in a very natural performance as a cocky asshole, and until the conclusion the film felt fresh and energetic most of the way through, it's a decent ride if you like alien invasion movies...

Speaking of which, did I MENTION Independence Day yet?... Oh, actually we're all forgetting:

war-of-the-worlds-fighting-machine.gif

I know most people think it sucks, but I liked it! 😅

For fucks sakes

ITS EDGE OF TOMORROW.  Stupid marketers screwed up the name of their own movie 😆🤦🏾‍♂️

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I never said it wasn't the best.  I just said that it was "ok."  Unfortunately, there are no great NASCAR movies.  Talladega Nights is a funny movie, but it's a terrible NASCAR movie.  I've only watched 3 one time and it was ok as well.  

3 was a good movie even though I had very little interest in the subject.  ESPN does that kind of stuff really well.