IGNORED

Are movie, TV, and video game critics useless?

9 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Theres nothing Nascar around here.  Its just a super iconic movie that everyone loves.

It is?

I mean, it was cashing in on the trend of "put Tom Cruise in a fast machine for instant dolla" back in the day, but it's hardly iconic even among Cruise pictures.

Editorials Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Theres nothing Nascar around here.  Its just a super iconic movie that everyone loves.

Iconic?  I don't know about that...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I rented it like three times as a kid.  But it's barely even on the radar of the Tom Cruise pantheon.

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Risky Business, Top Gun, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Mission Impossible, Jerry Maguire, those are the iconic Cruise movies.

Days of Thunder is definitely in there.  (but I'm not saying it necessarily deserves better than the 38% it had mentioned from earlier 😉 -- and neither do most of the "iconic" Tom Cruise movies -- they are popcorn fun, but they're all pretty cheesy in their own way)

Edited by arch_8ngel

20 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Days of Thunder is definitely in there.  (but I'm not saying it necessarily deserves better than the 38% it had mentioned from earlier 😉 -- and neither do most of the "iconic" Tom Cruise movies -- they are popcorn fun, but they're all pretty cheesy in their own way)

I dunno, the others all exist in memes to this day, but I can't remember when Days was last referenced. To me it's more like Cocktail and The Firm. Not Legend terrible, but not still appearing in lame references on messageboards . 😛

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Well now we clearly have to do Tom Cruise year for the movie debates.

...where we'll be doing Magnolia, Edge of Tomorrow, and Tropic Thunder.  Not frickin' Color of Money and Days of Cocktail.  JESU'M PEET.

(not to disparage CoM, but I bet 6 of us have seen it)

• Angry 1

Events Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Well now we clearly have to do Tom Cruise year for the movie debates.

...where we'll be doing Magnolia, Edge of Tomorrow, and Tropic Thunder.  Not frickin' Color of Money and Days of Cocktail.  JESU'M PEET.

(not to disparage CoM, but I bet 6 of us have seen it)

Not til after Coreys month!

And Days of Thunder all day long over Magnolia.

Editorials Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

What are you left with if there are no critic reviews?  Just aggregate user scores?  Those really don't mean much.  I can't tell if my taste align based on an aggregate score.

The user scores are based on well-developed and rounded opinions of people who know their videogames.  And not raging neckbeards

image.thumb.png.cd7ea29e2ae1c3f573aa538466032740.png

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Reed Rothchild it goes back to what you were saying, a review from someone you have a track record with that aligns with your own tastes means more than scores.

Also context of what the genre is.  The scores may be misaligned between users and critics based on that.