IGNORED

I have 2 case-fresh, sealed Mega Man 64 games - Should I send to VGA or WATA?

Vidarr2000

As of right now you would have to contact them to see what it would cost to have your games be graded. Because looking that up would have you see their error page. Something that pops up for other topics on every page that is not AFA. But their acting CSR might be able to give you that information. Just note that you need to contact them by email. Their phone lines are nonexistent because of Covid-19. So when it comes to that I think they will reply quickly if said error is not tied to them looking into another price hike.

But despite that I suggest Wata with thoughts on going VGA if you do not like them in the end.

i just sent a few games into wata for the first time.  they seem kind of awful.  Item arrived at their address 6 days ago and their website still doenst show the are received.  but the part thats more frusterating is its impossible to talk to them.  they never answer the phone and emails take 4+ days to get a response

I would send one to VGA and one to Wata. That way you can compare cost, grading, turn around time, case looks etc.

I sent some games to Wata and had to email them to see if they got my games. They did respond (and it didn't take 4 days) but they should send a confirmation email automatically when our games are received (IMO).

• Like 2

Wata SNES/N64 cases are so ugly because they hold the game sideways. I can't imagine a world where they don't fix them somehow in the future. If it's for your personal collection I would just wait on a redesign, which will probably take years because Wata is too busy printing more money than their coffers can hold.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jayleonis said:

i just sent a few games into wata for the first time.  they seem kind of awful.  Item arrived at their address 6 days ago and their website still doenst show the are received.  but the part thats more frusterating is its impossible to talk to them.  they never answer the phone and emails take 4+ days to get a response

Your issues are pretty much tied to Covid-19 related mandates. The only employees that can be there are graders, supervisors, and security. Those tied to customer service are required to work at home, which has since slowed down things like updates and response times. They do not have automatic information what arrived when, and they cannot be there to respond to any phone-based questions or concerns they could otherwise answer. The same is to be said about CGA, Inc. since I had to deal with issues like this more than once this year.

In the end your issues are not their fault. And will hope you find out that once everything gets back to normal things like that will not be repeated.

7 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

For flipping... WATA,  For keeping... VGA.  Actually the earlier mentioned idea of sending one to each would be ideal I think.

I'm only just getting into the graded games market but this definitely seems to be the case. I don't understand why people like WATA for SNES/N64 when it's sideways...it displays so poorly in my opinion

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Coops_Collection said:

I'm only just getting into the graded games market but this definitely seems to be the case. I don't understand why people like WATA for SNES/N64 when it's sideways...it displays so poorly in my opinion

wata scale is easier to understand and more in line with the majority of other collectible grading scales.

1 minute ago, Jayleonis said:

wata scale is easier to understand and more in line with the majority of other collectible grading scales.

The scale between 9-10 doesn't seem very intuitive. 9, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 9.8?

0.5-9, sure. Which is similar to PSA, CGC, BGS in the trading card world with half grades, which is the only grading I have experience with. As for 0-100 in the case of VGA, I'd argue the decimal point has just moved (i.e. 80 = 8.0)

I may just be biased since I'm not a fan of how the WATA case/label looks

5 hours ago, Coops_Collection said:

Its an acquired taste. When I started collecting in 2008 I had no idea how people collected sealed games in plastic. Took me till around 2010 to come around. Took me a bit to accept the Wata case orientation but it doesn't bother me anymore. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coops_Collection said:

The scale between 9-10 doesn't seem very intuitive. 9, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 9.8?

0.5-9, sure. Which is similar to PSA, CGC, BGS in the trading card world with half grades, which is the only grading I have experience with. As for 0-100 in the case of VGA, I'd argue the decimal point has just moved (i.e. 80 = 8.0)

I may just be biased since I'm not a fan of how the WATA case/label looks

To be honest I am also not a fan of Wata's 3-D labels when it comes to those types of packaging. But I am also not a big fan of having the label on top for a lot of toy and game-related stuff. Which is why I like Wata's 2-D labels. It does not look as weird for select games, and you do not have to look inside the acrylic case to see how it graded.

As for grading scales... I like Wata's because it shows that it is not hard to grade both the wrap/seal and the box. But grading scale-wise, I am neutral. I am used to both so I can go either way. But am also leaning more and more towards Wata because their cases do not look like they can easily topple if there was an earthquake. 😅

• Like 1