IGNORED

Mario Paint Boxes - Were there two types of boxes made?

Vidarr2000

I recently bought a copy of Mario Paint CIB on ebay, and I got a version that is glossier and with a thinner/regular cardboard rather than the mildly corrugated thicker more matte finish box that seems typical.  I noticed that the listings have a healthy mix of the glossier and matte varieties.  Are the glossier versions reproductions?  The person I bought from swears they are they original owner and purchased at KayBee Toys in the 90s.  Were the thinner glossier versions a later production?  I've added photos of the various glossy variants that I found online for reference.  Thanks in advance.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I've got one each of the USA and Canadian versions with the thicker cardboard and a thinner one like the one you received but a CAN version; the print is bilingual, and it says "Only for sale and use in Canada" on the back with the fine print. My sister and I got a first print for Christmas of '92 (the thicker cardboard version) which was purchased in Québec.

I've always figured that Nintendo just switched it up to save money on packaging.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:13 AM, Renmauzo said:

I've got one each of the USA and Canadian versions with the thicker cardboard and a thinner one like the one you received but a CAN version; the print is bilingual, and it says "Only for sale and use in Canada" on the back with the fine print. My sister and I got a first print for Christmas of '92 (the thicker cardboard version) which was purchased in Québec.

I've always figured that Nintendo just switched it up to save money on packaging.

That's what I thought too.  I showed the photos to my local retro game store and he said the same thing.  Nintendo tended to cut costs on later releases games with special packaging by reducing the "special" materials and using regular materials - in this case, using regular box cardboard rather than special corrugated/thick cardboard.